1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News R600 to hit 1GHz - rumours

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Jan 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Y'know, there was a time that i thought NVidia was bad for product refreshes, but ATI's bloody horrible for them. The cards will be in a customer's hand under a month (c'mon, there'll be shortages) before the next big gun hits. Plus, with 1GHz Core and 2200MHz memory, are we going to see 3 slot coolers?

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

No no, we will be seeing mandatory (see no air cooled) water cooling.
    Or even needing phase.
    As for a 1GHz part, a 33% over clock should be achievable.

4. Headspark

Headspark New Member

As an ATI fan boy, i was going to go to the green side (well i have already, but only for there cheapest whalts i save up for an 8800gtx) i may well hang on a bit and wait to see what ati have to offer!

5. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer New Member

1GB GDDR4? 512bit bus .... these cards are gonna be hella expensive. more so than the 8800's im sure.

plus i really dont think its worth mentioning the clockspeeds really. just like in CPU's now, with major architectural differences clock speed really isnt that useful as a performance indicator and is even more worthless as a comparison tool.

march is gonna be interesting...i cant wait to see what happens! will the massive bandwidth advantage ATi have pay off? its hard to tell, i think pixel shading will be more important and increase in importance, nvidias approach lends its self nicely to heavy pixel shader demand becuase the scalar architecture is easy to utilize. memory bandwidth might only play a significant role in the uber resolutions with some phat textures. but with new compression techniques and that cool way of storing textures as maths equations are ATi solving a problem that isnt really there?

exciting times!!! this is gonna be a great year.... 2 different companies producing a range of stellar products, both this time round are supplying immpecable filtering and IQ and so long as the price is right there is only one winner here....US

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

It is going to be a right pain if I buy one of the A12's and then the A15 gets released afterwards, its the age old thing, if you wait for something new you'll never buy anything, but at the same time if its only a month or so in between revisions it would be silly not to wait....ARGH bloody ATi!!

7. Henk

Henk Uninformed Opinionist

I wonder which will be the better one of the "semi-pro" models - Geforce 8800GTS 640MB or Radeon X2800 XT 512MB... I guess the GTS will take the lead $-wise since it's been out longer :p

But 1GB graphics memory is also interesting - think of how many texture mods for Oblivion you could put in without introducing any fps drops :thumb:

8. Iago

Iago New Member

DAAMIT certainly need to change their branding scheme for GPUS.

X2800? X1900 XTX was borderline ridiculous in my mind, but it's getting worse.

In Graphzilla they too should be thinking what are they going to do when GeForce 9900 Series gets old... GeForce 10 is ok, but 10800 GTX is lame.

Those naming schemes have gone from "edgy" to retarded, lame and confusing in a heartbeat...we need new blood in GPU marketing ;)

9. Mother-Goose

The R600 should be called something like the Decimator XTX looking at those specs lol

10. poenanie

poenanie New Member

30CMXMONSTERXTX -_-

That card don't fit my case ( and that's a freaking coolermaster ... )

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Rumours, rumours and even more rumours. I guess Ati finally has a proper launch date for their product, they most likely are not willing to let the Cebit go past with them only having paper to show ;)

12. trig

trig god's little mistake

any idea when bit-tech will get one to test?

13. Mother-Goose

and for me to subsequently steal....

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

rumors... but....... HELL THEY ARE TAKING TO LONG TO LAUNCH A BLOODY GRAPHICS CARD!!!!!!

15. EQC

EQC New Member

From this post on the 8800GTX

I'm assuming the expected 1GHz for the A15 ATI/AMD part is on the "core clock"...but with nVidia's "shader processors" clocked at 1.35GHz, I don't really know what that means. For example, if nVidia upped the core clock from 575MHz to 1GHz, but didn't speed up the shaders, how much difference would it make? Does ATI use a separate shader clock?

Tags: Add Tags