1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Rainbow LED

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 27 Aug 2002.

1. Bullwinkle777

Bullwinkle777 What's a Dremel?

Hello indecided, you said that you live here in the states. Where did you find the parts? Mainlly 4029. I can't seem to find it anywhere. The places I have looked don't carry it or stopped carring it.

2. DirtyH

DirtyH What's a Dremel?

How much do they cost over there?
    Here at IKEA Germany such a globe costs about 9$.

I'm glad I could help you. :)

3. indecided

indecided What's a Dremel?

For a while, they sold the FADO downlight lamp for $25.

This morning when they checked looks like they introduced a up standing one (like yours) for only 9.99. I think i'm buying it! :)

Actually, forget it. Shipping is above $15 (amount varies).

Probably wait till I get into a store...sometime next year. For now, poor man's version!

4. indecided

indecided What's a Dremel?

Bullwinkle, I can send you one for a couple of dollars incl shipping if you can't find it. Like maybe two dollars?

5. Bullwinkle777

Indecided, That would be great. Send me a private messages with your address and how much you want and I'll send you the money. You wouldn't happen to have an extra trimmer by chance would ya? I've been having trouble finding that too. let me know. Thanx!

6. natrium

natrium What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the bump.

In the diagram of the circuit VR1 is marked 220K, but in the shopping list it says 470. What's correct?

7. dragon-fly

dragon-fly What's a Dremel?

buy a 470 pot and adjust it to 220?

8. natrium

natrium What's a Dremel?

Ahh, sorry, I was thinking a bit short.

9. Bullwinkle777

Can someone help me find the 4029 IC? I still can't find one.

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Most any dealer should have it (though Futurlec don't :confused: ). May be marked HEF4029B (Philips) CD4029, CD4029BC (Texas, Fairchild), etc, but if it's in the CMOS Logic section, that's the one. It's $0.32 at Jameco.

11. Bullwinkle777

Thanx cpemma, I was hoping to find it locally, but I think I'll order a few from Jameco.
    Thanx agian!!!

12. GsJosh

GsJosh What's a Dremel?

I did see this is quite an old topic but since recently people posted here I'm just gonna drop in my problem too. I soldered the circuit and to be honest, I suck at soldering without everyting explained in detail, lol. I Made some huge mistakes and had to buy a new 555 because I soldered the 12+ to port 5 instead of port 8 :p. Alle the LEDs just lid up the same: white.

I bought a new 555 and replaced the old one but now it still shows up white. What's my problem? I guess it's something with the 555 IC or the 4029? By the way, I got the NE555P and the NEF4029BP instead of the NE555N and the 4029. Oh yeah, by the way I am also using an 250ohm pod, not a 220ohm. I guess that all isn't that big of a problem?

Last edited: 15 Apr 2006
  13. dragon-fly

check the 4029 connections. check the wire from the 555 to the 4029, make sure its the right one and make sure you have the capacitor on the 4029 thats in like the top midle of the diagram

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It's a 220,000 ohm (220k) pot, which could be a problem if yours is only 250 ohms...

15. GsJosh

GsJosh What's a Dremel?

Well, I checked all connections for about 5 times now and that's kinda why I'm posting: I really don't know what to do :p.

The wire from the 555 (3) is really connected to the 4029 (15). Idon't know what you are saying about that capacitor, I guess you mean the C2? How should it be connected to the 4029? I just connected +12 to (16) of the 4029 and I connected the C2 somewhere to the +12 and the ground. I don't think it should be connected to the 4029, should it? If else, could you tell me how?

By the way, I found almost the same wiring diagram but with some minor modifications which can make things clearer for noobs like me (I didn't know that I had to put +12 to port 16 for example, that other diagram is clearer for noobs). Isn't the diagram copyrighted? Because they put their logo on it.

Yeah, my mistake. The pot does say 250k.

16. GsJosh

GsJosh What's a Dremel?

Well, it's me again. I did some checking on the circuit again and made some changes. I rewired the pot because I saw the A and E port of it were switched. Although I thought it wouldn't make a difference because it's just a resistance I rewired it anyway and of course, it showed up the same. The LEDs still light up all white without any change.

I tested the 555 by wiring a LED to port 3 and yeah it worked, the LED flashed. I also read the full topic now and I noticed someone with the same problem, his LEDs were also as he called 'Lighting up 100%'... Still I don't know what's the problem because the solution is not posted. I checked all the wires 7 times now, I tried to find some stupid mistakes on soldering and thought I'm bad at it, I couldn't find any mistakes.

Can someone tell me in what area I have to search for errors and maybe you have some way to test it? Can it be the 555, what about the 4029 and last but maybe not least, do those network of capacitors and transistors at the end have something to do with this behaviour?

17. dragon-fly

if the 555 works and the led is flashing, its probably in the 4029 area. have you tried changing the 4029 chip? and have you tried this circuit on a breadboard before?

18. GsJosh

GsJosh What's a Dremel?

Yah, maybe I should replace the 4029. In the beginnen I had some errors which I resolved but maybe during that incorrect wiring it got damaged.

No I did not test it on a breadbord just because I don't have one :p.

19. GsJosh

GsJosh What's a Dremel?

Damned. I bought all parts new, I resoldered the whole thing and I short-circuited the freaking thing :wallbash: . Now the circuit does exactly the same thing as the print before. Did I molest it with the short-circuiting or is there some other mistake somewhere else? I did check the 555 and it is generating pulses which are given to port 15 of 4029. Please help :worried:

Last edited: 18 Apr 2006
  20. dragon-fly

probably short curcuit fried it.
    also the chips are quite sensitive to high temperature. the longer you heat up the 4029, the better the chance of it getting damaged.

and to avoid the soldering part, just use one of those chip block pin thingies.... (chip holder, not sure about the real name)

Tags: Add Tags