1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Raspberry Pi review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 16 Apr 2012.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

It is, but I wouldn't say its fair to call the OS in general immature strictly because of drivers. And as I've said before, debian squeeze is extremely out of date, there have been immense performance improvements to ARM that squeeze doesn't offer. Note that in the linux world, 6 months is like 3 people-years.

Fair enough, although I don't remember you specifying that you used one of these remixes. Keep in mind that many changes that occur in derivatives of distros don't always make it back to the parent distro, so it is completely possible that the Pi remix is notably faster than the default. Again, remix or not, squeeze is not going to give you desirable results. You just said "latest release" which could mean latest stable, unstable, or testing. I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, I'm trying to be informative. You'd be surprised how big of a difference there is between each repo of debian.

I actually completely forgot that you mentioned Quake III, my bad.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It's impossible to get a vanilla build of Debian (or any other operating system) to boot on the Raspberry Pi. You need to either do some serious hacking, or use one of the spins available from the Raspberry Pi download page, where someone has done the hacking for you.

Re-reading the review, I wasn't clear enough in what I was saying: where I'm talking about the 'default Debian distribution,' I don't mean vanilla Debian - I mean the default distribution provided on the Foundation's download page, specifically for use on the Raspberry Pi.

I'll go and amend that bit, save other people's confusion - ta!

Given that I do distro reviews for Linux User & Developer Magazine, I don't think I would be surprised. ;)

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I'm interested in one as bit-torrent box, would I be able to use a USB hard drive alongside one, or is that asking too much?

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Not sure it has enough power to support an emulator & game.
    That said, try Oolite - a freeware Mac Os / Windows / Linux port of Elite. You'd need to compile it from source though.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That'd work fine. There's actually a trick to getting host bus powered devices working: plug a powered USB hub into the mains, connect it to the RasPi's USB port, wire in your bus-powered device and then connect a lead from the hub to the Pi's microUSB power socket. The result: everything draws its power from the hub, and you only need one mains socket for the whole lot.

6. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Must... Water Cool... It... :D

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It might also be worth trying Arch Linux as that is typically on the bleeding edge - kernel 3.3 is already in the official repo. You could also squeeze a lot of performance out by compiling packages yourself (possibly using DistCC to do the heavy lifting on the main computer) and setting mtune parameters for the RPi. Ditto for the GPU driver.

8. ADJB

ADJB What's a Dremel?

A port of the FUSE Spectrum emulator is already up and running so given that there isn't a massive difference between a Speccy and a Beeb (or any of the other classic 8 bits) in terms of memory, overall power or game complexity then once the relevant emulators are ported I would be very surprised of the power of the Pi was an issue.

9. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Kinda glad I didn't get one now, will wait for a Raspberry Pi 2 and hope the whole platform is a bit more mature :)

10. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Shame about the lack of Gigabit Ethernet. Would make the perfect file server if it had. Hopefully the Pi Foundation (read: Pie Base) will notice our comments and reflect with the Raspberry Pi 2.

11. blackadda15

blackadda15 What's a Dremel?

Just got mine through the door let the experiments begin.

12. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

All I need to know is if there's a SNES emulator out there that will run on this thing.

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

can i play angry birds on it?

14. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

OK, I'm old enough that I remember having a ZX81, I see the point of learning to program, but I'm just not sure of the relevance of this... I'll watch this space with interest, and it's so cheap I'd probably buy one anyway, but what would I use it for? I look forward to a dedicated projects page for inspiration

15. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Yes. I'm a lower sixth student, pre-ordered one on release day.

16. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Now where's the fun in that? :p

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Definitely want to pick one of these up. For the price there's just no reason not to, even if it's not some miracle machine. Thinking it would go well in a simple enclosure mounted to the side of an external USB hard drive. Hard drive plugs into one of the Pi's USB ports, a wireless KB+M plugs into the second, and assuming you can get decent video playback setup you've got a niftly little portable HTPC.

And more seriously, who's to say there'll be a Raspberry Pi 2?

It's a learning device first a foremost, and a modder's playground second. For the former not a lot of power or features are needed and most educational institutions aren't going to be looking for a new device now that they've already got one that meets their needs so developments of a Raspberry Pi 2 isn't exactly necessary. For the latter you're dealing with people who enjoy tinkering and making things work, the future of the device will depend largely on their work and creations as its limits and areas needing improvement are discovered.

TL;DR, if you want a Raspberry Pi 2 the best thing you can do is pick one of the first models up and have a go with it. It's cheap and you'll be supporting the creators.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2012
  18. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Given that you can buy a NAS with a built in bit-torrent client for less than the cost of a Pi, which will work out of the box and look a lot neater, there isn't much of a need to IMO.

Not saying it wouldn't be cool though!

edit: first post in 11 months. Pi is awesome enough to have brought me back, despite the issues that made me leave :)

19. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

A NAS with bit torrent for less than $35? Seems unlikely....

Already pre ordered one to play around with. Mostly to play with the XBMC port but also looking into whole house audio using a few of them.

20. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Didn't I already see someone here working on that?

Tags: Add Tags