1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ray tracing now available on Nvidia GTX GPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 11 Apr 2019.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

When will bit-tech be posting the Benchmarks?

3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Downloaded and installed driver.
    Loaded Metro Exodus.
    Enabled Ray Tracing. (High; there is only High and Ultra to choose from)
    15 FPS
    Disabled Ray Tracing.
    Restarted game
    75FPS

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  4. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That's why I can't see me even trying it TBH. I'm not forking out for a 2000 series so no real need for me to see how badly it can run on my 1080.

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

*Hides behind wall of graphics cards*

MLyons likes this.
  6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Metro uses Raytracing pretty extensively and as such it would indeed be pointless to even try it out, but as more games start making use of it we can probably expect a bunch of games to come along that only use it sparingly for a few effects here and there... and for those games even non RTX cards should be good enough to turn it on, so it does make some sense to have the option to enable it.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

That could be very true but by the time I get around to it I may be buying a 3000 series :)

Still, don't get me wrong, the more it is out there the more it gets adopted - can only be a good thing in the long run.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

True true, there is always the question of time and future hw.

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Tried it on my 1080 Ti, got <15 FPS average on the Star Wars demo. Not surprised, not impressed.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ok, I updated windows and installed the new nvidia driver to try out the RTX demos.

Pretty, but certainly not enough to make me want an RTX card.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I’m sure it’s nice for the effects, but there’s no way you’ll see me shelling out >$1200 on a GPU that barely performs better than my $500 1080 Ti. Nope.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

"That looks nice, but the new cards don't make my current games faster" and "the new effects are too slow for current cards so will never be adopted" are refrains we've heard before. Take today's arguments on raytracing needing too expensive cards, the effects not looking 'better enough' than current games, current cards being too slow that RT will never get adopted, etc; and do a find-and-replace of "raytracing" with "Unified/Compute shaders" or "Hardware Texture & Lighting" and you'll get the same arguments as occurred 12 and 20 years ago respectively.

B1GBUD likes this.
  13. perplekks45

I don't think we're dismissing RT as a tech that will never come. Just that RTX cards right now offer too little improvement in current games (for their price) and there just aren't enough RT titles to really make them shine. The next gen RTX cards might already exist in a sea of RT-enabled games and have far superior RT performance to boot. We don't know, but right now the RTX 2080 Ti just doesn't offer any value.

14. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

Got to start somewhere. 2080Ti and 1440p on a demo would probably yield 50ish-90ish fps.

15. perplekks45

I'll know tonight, a friend is testing on his 2080 Ti later on. This could be very interesting.

16. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I'm glad Nvidia have released these; I never expected the 1080TI to run these benchmarks well compared the the RTX cards and it doesn't. The truth is that I really don't care at all - not even a teeny tiny little bit.

When I'm gaming I do want things to look good, but when I'm steaming around a city / map (FPS's types of games are my bag) then the quality of reflection from say a car or puddle mean absolutely nothing to me. Half of the time I won't even notice what model the car might be, let alone the reflections from it - my mind will register a car but I'm only looking at it as a potential concelement place for enemy. I couldn't care less about details.

I want my games to look good (custom Ultra) and run with a high fps (over 100). My 1080TI still does this wonderfully well.
    It's a good job it does because if this is the direction and pricing structure Nvidia are following then I am going to be running this card for quite a few years. Fingers crossed for some real competition to them soon.

17. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

No way am I going to bother trying on my 1070... :D

I just want the Titan RTX to be cheaper and easier to get in Japan. I won't use it for gaming, but 24GB of VRAM would make my working life quite a bit simpler.

Of course, then I need to contend with the fact that they abandoned the blower design, so four cards in a single mobo is asking for trouble...

18. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Somehow, I don't recall the premiums being so steep on Hardware Transform & Lighting.

Regardless, I'm not against the tech. I'm just against paying such a high price for something in it's infancy. I'll happily wait until it's a standard feature of all main stream cards.

19. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I seem to recall that my Geforce 3 Ti 500 wasn't very cheap back in the day. I can't find the UK release price but in US dollars it was $350, which accounting for inflation is about $500 today.

20. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

It appears “But can it run Metro with raytracing on Ultra?” is the new Crysis.

The_Crapman likes this.
Tags: Add Tags