1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster really funny thing i saw

Discussion in 'Modding' started by dead_man, 27 Oct 2004.

1. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

i took apart a friends old dell once... the space between the front panel and front of the case was literally overflowing with hair/dust/dirt/other unidentifiable stuff... the cards had a pretty thick coating of dust... complete with 16 mb of ram :jawdrop:

2. Suaves

Suaves What's a Dremel?

My mom sent my grandma an email with a URL in it. It took my mom 10 mins on the phone to explain how to copy and paste.

3. anonymuzer

anonymuzer What's a Dremel?

Its pronounced cash and lin-ux as stated earlier.

4. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

As stated before, some people shouldn't be allowed to own computers. I'm scared enough leaving the house for school and leaving my mom alone with my computer. After all, she already managed to fry my 160 Gb SATA drive. I almost don't want to leave for college or uni (2 years left to educate them)while a computer is in the house

5. CySlyde

CySlyde What's a Dremel?

He-He I love tech bench horror stories.

fist off thats nothing. had a friend who had one of those little "cute" hp's from the late 90's. neways his onboard video died and he had to have a computer, so he bought a new one. two days later he asked me to come and see if i could save any info from the old hp and put it on the new compaq. when i opened the case up I swear to god i shoulda just turned it on it's side and planted a flower in it for him :duh:

I used to work at BestBuy (for those who don't know it's a "big box" electronic store) on the "tech bench" stories from there

had a guy who brought in a three year old compaq to us... he said he hadn't used it in a year and wanted to give it to his daughter who was leaving for college, but when he fired it up it made a strange sizzle sound and smelled funny. upon opening the case half a dozen roaches crawled out and stated skittering across my table :eeek: there was one crispy roach sitting on the old p1 mobo power connector.

another customer worked in a meat processing plant. they had a computer inside the freezer.... and well you can just guess about that one.

I actually charged a guy to replace his OS and teach him how to make a file because he liked to watch the "firework" from when you pressed the empty recycle bin. :sigh:

my dad loves to play cd's in his computer (fine by me). but one day he called me up said he couldn't figure out why the pc kept shutting off and rebooting. My first thought was faulty PSU, but i went to check it out. after about two hours I couldn't figure out what the problem was. couple weeks later i was back over working on some schoolwork at the desk when dad came in to do his work. placed some santana in and started going. sure enough about five minutes later there it went off and rebooting. a little further searching and i found the culprit. the outlet was right under the part of the desk where you slide in the chair once dad would start getting into his music he would tap his foot and bump the plug from the surge :sigh:

Last one for you.

My dad owns a engine shop. they do machining and lots of things where metal, dust and oil are almost constantly in the air. they can kill a computer in three months just from all those metal particles in the air. fan shields only prolonge the life a month or two. :worried:

6. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

i agree with u on both

7. BaDDaSS

BaDDaSS What's a Dremel?

Funny stories!

My dad uses his pc everyday for excel, but he got a bit confused when i made google his homepage lol.

I tell my dad to visit ebuyer.com they have a good deal, and he's like "do i type it in the top bar or the bottom bar" :|

And when something goes wrong, he cannot accept he may have done something wrong, he then phones me up with a "ITS EVERY SINCE YOU INSTALLED THAT DAMN GOOGLE!". lol, failing to seee its justa homepage.

He did have yahoo toolbar installed one (his fault not mine, damn adware), which confused him even more ... 3 text bars in his browser :jawdrop: !!! lol

8. inanimous

inanimous What's a Dremel?

oh plz...

computer ignorant people are no joking matter... and are in fact the majority of humanity. i've been doing pc tech since age 14 freelance, and sine 17 in various companies. everywhere you go know one knows anything about computers - but most annoying is how they seem to always blame you for everything and also take out their frustrations on you - as if its your fault they dont a system tray from an ashtray. anyhow, just recently - now im jr.sysadmin in a law firm and tech support/helpdesk, so i had to make this house call. lawyer brought in his laptop, i had to of course reinstall everything, since the difference between clicking and dragging (documents and settings in different partition) and what not. so anyhow, the guy goes home sets the thing up, and i get a phone call: "the mouse isnt working..." of course i didnt even begin to think about talking him about device managers/control panel/bios - i asked him if it was plugged in. he assured me of course that it was, even though he stated that the fit was a bit loose... ok i said, but i wouldnt waste any more of my day trying to calm him over the phone and understand from his description what the **** he did. so i made a little house call, and to my not so big surprise, the usb connector was sitting not so smartly in the ethernet port. :waah: you see that's not being technophobic, thats being retarded.
    anyhow, how many times a day do i get calls about "somethings the matter with the system!" - "fix it"!" - only to find out that the numlock was off, so their pet doggies birthday is no longer valid as a password. i try to explain to them - IF NO ***** THEN YOU ARE WRITING JACK **** COMPRENDE? ***** IS PASSWORD YOU SEE? driving a car is pretty complicated stuff and people manage to do it... no written instructions there right? in the computer you can just read the help file. if you do that you'll probably find out what's up. you dont call a mechanic when you cant find the clutch, you call a doctor - preferably dr. kevorkian.

forgot to mention in the story the obligatory: "i you did something to my computer..." :wallbash:

9. peepingdan

peepingdan What's a Dremel?

Worked with the IT guy at my High School. Mostly made old PII computers like new again with the Husky Air Compressor. One time, the IT guy got in big trouble because a teacher complained that she didn't have Word. The administration was furious that he forgot something so essential. He sent over my other friend to check her computer out.
    She didn't know how to scroll and find the icon, but it was over one click.

10. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Working in Carlisle, and having just had a few days of flooding, many of our clients have lost their entire systems.

One client sent in a server to see if we could remove the hard drives to recover their data (no backups, d'oh! :duh: ). Anyway, we took off the side panel and water came gushing out.

Absolutely everything inside was covered in a layer of silt and water was still dripping out of the power supply! Turns out the server was sitting under 6 feet of water at one point!

Suffice to say, the server was unrepairable so in the end we sold them a whole new system for 20 grand.

(oh and they had to spend 8 grand to recover their data)

11. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

at school, the "tech guy" frequently has to do presentations on the basics of computing (turning it on, opening files, saving files etc...) sometimes i think this is all he knows how to do. the problem is that there at a manditory assembly...
    some of my teachers who actually know a thing or two about computers, and some have even made a web page, frequently have to explain to people the very basic elements and wait ten minutes for them to accomplish a task that should take 30 sec... (go to start menu... open "Microsoft Word"... begin typing... click "ctrl" and "s" etc...)

chairboy: thats not their fault... the guy sounded like he might even know how to use a computer... he knows what a hard drive is... although he is kinda stupid if he expects you to recover any data.

12. Satyric_saint

Satyric_saint What's a Dremel?

eck I hate being the tech guy among my friends and family.
    My mother asked me to go over to her friend’s house because she couldn't seem to download any pictures from her e-mail all she got was a file that gave her weird writing, well that should have been a clue right there but I went over anyway she was using AOL and instead of clicking the download button she was clicking on the image to bring it up in a new window and then using the file/save as and saving it as an html document that was setup to open in notepad. :duh: it took 30min to get her to realize the problem then she wanted to know how to send pictures. :rolleyes:

Lets see I’ve also had to help out a fiend of a friend because his monitor wasn’t working, all I did was open the case and push the GFX card back into the PCI slot, I knew what the problem was the second I turned it on and it was working and someone touched the Tower and the monitor went off :hehe: for fixing the puter I got 5 large pizzas anyway I wanted them :thumb:
    and my mom is the worst, she is still using an IBM aptiva from early 96 with a k-6 processor in it and she uses AOL :rolleyes: she cant seem to grasp the concept of the desktop its called "that thing that has the picture on it" :duh: also every thing I tell her to do she has to write down she even wrote down step by step instructions on how to empty the recycle bin! :hehe:
    She is my mom and I love her but she doesn't make it easy. :D

Not to mention her ex-bf that bought the computer and couldn’t stand windows 98 (puter came with 95) because the windows always opened in the same window and he couldn’t go back to the other window that was just open. :rolleyes: He told me I didn’t know anything about computes and needed to quit messing with ours before I broke it. Dumb F***er. :miffed:

13. CySlyde

CySlyde What's a Dremel?

sounds like my mom and my deceased step father... in Highschool I took a novell class. during that time we still had an IBM 8088 (i actually still have that somewhere arround here) and i was required to write my papers in a font and size that my poor dot matrix just couldn't handle... my step father thinking he had all the answers went to one of his firends and got the family a mac IIe sans monitor for my birthday... refused on listening to me when i kept telling him nothing we had was compatible. after he pretty much gave up on the mac he ran out and got a standard Pentium 1 75mhz compaq used from a computer reseller thats no longer arround (thank god) for what he paid for the compaq (it was at least a year old then) he coulda gotten a new one from half a dozen other places :duh:

14. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

Still bloody funny though. We've still got it in our workshop, I'll see if I can get some photos of it. It is all dry now.

15. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

That`s why i have a window on my computer. If a bloodthirsty critter is living inside my eqipment, i want to know about it.

16. CyberSol

CyberSol 1337 Pants

Hahahahahaha! Thats great!

I have a server in the garage.
    I opened it up the other day and the bottom was covered in dead, shredded moths. hehehe.

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

???
    !!!
    omg

it's the same way you prononce cash as in what I need for my case mod

things like that scare me

18. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

I dunno...I pronounce it Kay-Sh

19. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

I say kay-sh. Because thats what it is.

As for linux...its lin-ux (or lin-ooks) because thats how Lin-us Torvolds says it :D

20. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

One day, when i was at work suddenly, there was a power outage and our POS system died.. I went to inspect the problem and called tech support, they told me the drive was formatted..... :duh: I tried booting fomr the floppy and that took like 30 mins(its a 266mhz...) After 2 hours with tech support... I found out the problem, some cables became loose and the case itself was a vacum cleaner.... stupid tech supports.