1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Recommend me a good horror

Discussion in 'General' started by Archtronics, 25 Oct 2008.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah... It's been done.

2. shomann

shomann New Member

Horror movies tend to fall into 2 lots - gore and suspense.

Both have their place and there have been some excellent examples here. Let me suggest, in no particular order (and some have already been brought up):

Silence of the Lambs (1991) - Sure, a lot of have seen it but it has to be one of the best in the suspense category, not to mention creepy

Blair Witch Project (1999) - Either you hate it or it scares the sh*t out of you. I was the later as I watched the Curse of the Blair Witch (on the DVD as well) first by accident. That really gives you a better background to let the story of the movie work on you. Also, the proper setting is watching it alone, in a dark house on halloween itself.

The Exorcist (1973) - Brilliant film, truly groundbreaking for the time but probably doesn't scare as well as it did when it first came out. Still, creepy to say the least.

28 Days Later (2002) - I loved this re-visioning of the classic zombie story. Neither excessively gory or really scary, but a great Halloween type movie.

Reanimator (1985) - I haven't actually seen this one. It has been described to me as a black comedy/horror movie. Definitely a cult classic.

Alien (1979) - A great mix of sci-fi, suspense and even some gore. Art direction is so good that it still hasn't been faithfully duplicated.

Shining (1980) - It's mofoing Stanley Kubrick. Watch it just because of that and expect to be kept in total suspense.

Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and Halloween are all good choices as the first of their series, but again, probably don't survive the years as well as other "classics" might.

It's all context really. If you want to truly be scared by yourself then pick accordingly. If you want to invite some friends over and have gore-fest, there are movies that work better than most I have put here ;)

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Two of my favourite films are Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness (Evil Dead 3). Both well worth watching but getting on a bit now.

4. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I'm going to watch this one! I'm from czech rep. and imaginings of foreign directors about our country are really funny(like Hostel):lol:

5. PQuiff

PQuiff New Member

Hellraiser? Traumatised me as a kid....
    Moontrap With walter Koening from STARTREK..lol. Also traumatised me as a kid.

Would also suggest some of the foreign films for horror.

Check Twitch Film. Great source of unusual film.
    http://twitchfilm.net/site/

6. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

big bowl of THIS

it has two colums of demonic Jawas getting farked up by a homemade 4 barrel shotgun!

it has a tall guy in it!

it has flying balls!

it has... an explosion!

i'm out of ideas

7. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

8. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

what was that zombie movie where the zombies called for more paramedics, which were promptly eaten?

9. Brett89

Brett89 Active Member

I didn't bother reading the entire thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but watch "Quarantined" one of the better zombie/suspense horror flicks i've seen in a long while.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2008
  10. sesterfield

sesterfield New Member

Someone else who appreciates the genius of Phantasm! I bought the set for £3 from woolworths and I've never regretted it (the dvds even came in a chrome plastic phantasm sphere!)

Tags: