1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Recommend me a new system or upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeckerdBR, 7 Nov 2018.

1. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Hi,

My current PC is getting on a bit now, it a 2nd gen intel core i5 2500k, that over the years has had a new GPU (my current is a GTX970), some more RAM and an SSD or 2.

I was thinking of 2 options:
    1. a full new system including a new higher res and better quality monitor and a GTX2070.
    2. a new case, CPU, Mobo and RAM, but using my current PSU, GPU and Sata SSD's and maybe monitor (a 1920*1200 dell U2412m).

Either way I was thinking to base it off a an i5-9600K and a MSI Intel Z390-A PRO as a starting point.

It's fair to say tech has moved on a fair way since I bought my current system with fancy high res screens with Gsync or Free Sync, RGB motherboards and now the new Turing architecture graphics cards etc.
    oh and i'd like to try and cram it into a smaller case - current is a fractal design define r3, I was thinking something like a Fractal Meshify.

I did use the Scan 3xs system custom pc configuration tool initially but the price was extreme compared to just sourcing the parts individually and building it myself but that aside, I have no idea what would make a good gaming PC and what is worth it vs what is just over priced... so recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

We need the most important part... what’s your budget??

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

My not posting that was intentional actually, rather than fix a budget that might be unrealistic, i'd rather have some recommendations first and then illI decide if I am willing to pay it!
    That being said, one of my friends thinks about £1,250 would get a tempered glass case, 2070 gpu, water cooler for CPU, i5 9600k, motherboard, 16 gig DDR 4 ram, and M2 drive.

But for argument sake let's say £1,600 if I went full system.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2018
  4. TheMadDutchDude

We really do need a rough budget to work from as we could recommend a slight upgrade to something so stupidly past what you’d like to spend that your fall and break your jaw. :D

£1600 is a very, very decent budget.

Next question: what’s the rig used for? Mostly gaming or a variety of things such as editing and the likes...?

5. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Fair point :D

Just games, I keep telling myself i'm going to record and upload some of my World of Warships replays, maybe do some video editing but it is a totally secondary and unlikely i'll get round to it so probably not worth factoring in if it will impact build or cost majorly.
    I have reached a point where the you-tube footage of even some of the games I play looks better on my mobile phone screen than it does on my PC screen... but it would be nice to be able to run the new Hitman 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and perhaps titles like Battlefield 5 at max settings with an upgraded resolution and visual quality. I have also noticed games like Total War Warhammer 2 runs a bit poorly, I presume it is heavily CPU limited as lowering the visual settings does not help, it's just not a very smooth experience.

I'm not really a fan of manual overclocking, anything outside of pushing up the multiplier in a UEFI Bios is outside of my interest. I just want a fast, cool, quiet machine to play games on and kick back from the stress of work.
    I will say, if I end up with a totally new system inc monitor, i'd probably keep this existing monitor as a second screen for watching videos & browsing on while playing on the other screen. I also work from home regularly, so two monitors is really useful!

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

An i5-9600K and an MSI Intel Z390-A PRO is a good start.
    You can also add 16GB or 32GB DDR4 3000/3200 and a Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 drive.
    Whatever case you go for is mostly aesthetics
    If you want a smaller footprint you can go mATX with a MSI MPG Z390M without sacrificing anything and get the Fractal Meshify C Mini.
    For the monitor did you want to go with something like a 27" 1440p or 32" 4k?
    GPU will depend on it you go 1440p/4k and if the monitor is g-sync or freesync. g-sync some to come with a £100 premium.

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I was thinking 27 inch and 1440p, unless there is a really compelling reason to go for the larger 32 inch 4k screen?

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

IMO, 1440p is still the sweet spot for gaming + general computing. I've got a 27" 1440p 165Hz panel and it's buttery, buttery smooth. I've tried 4k and ultrawides and there are pros and cons to both, but I'm yet to find a compromise with 1440p @ 27".

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Full rig and 27" 1440p monitor for £1670.
    Few notes on the build:
    #Went with a 500gb m.2 drive as a 250gb gets full awfully quickly with Windows and a couple of games. Wish I'd gone with a larger drive myself in hindsight.
    #As you're not one for overclocking much I've gone for a 2070 that's got a decent overclock right out the box. Plus with Evga's new precision x1 software and it's OC Scanner feature, you can overclock it further with just a couple of clicks.
    #You're existing psu should be fine, but if you're going full new rig then why take any risk of an old psu blowing it all to smithereens.
    #16gb of 3000mhz ram is about the sweet spot for price/performance and will be plenty for gaming.
    #I'm not up on monitors, so I've just put the cheapest 27" 1440p monitor scan had in their. Others would probably have better recommendations.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2018
  10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Thank you all for the replies, sorry it has taken me so long to respond, a combination of busy with work and wanting time to think about options.

On the Monitor front I'm struggling to find any good middle ground, they are either a cheap compromise or expensive. So I'm going to hold off for now and focus on the machine only.

I made 2 different systems, an AMD and an Intel:
    https://www.scan.co.uk/wishlists/cf0516ce-f02d-4d1e-88c4-d13e1d184040

https://www.scan.co.uk/wishlists/1e94bd47-e01c-42e4-9134-346508d1a425

There is very little price difference between them, although any saving with the AMD system having a CPU cooler included are lost in higher ram prices.

Regards the Intel system, I based it off 3000mhz ram, is the 3200 worth the extra cost?

Last edited: 24 Nov 2018
  11. TheMadDutchDude

Both look solid. On the AMD build, avoid the GB board and get an ASUS instead.

12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

13. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I am a TW:WH2 player and it really needs a hyperthreaded CPU to run well. I had an i5 3570k I think it was and upgraded to an i7 7700k and it made a huge difference, especially when speeding up battles. Not sure how the 6 core CPUs fair though.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

15. MightyBenihana

Close to the overall budget (£1549.46 if you get free devilery, which I hope you do. You can sign up for it as you are a member of bit-tech).

https://www.scan.co.uk/wishlists/7e48994e-a966-4f02-b32f-23d68e34106f

but for that you get:

Storage - A OS drive and a game/storage drive - I have an NVMe drive but I do not see any difference in performance from a standard SSD in real world use. You are free to drop the 1TB drive of course but in my experience storage is a huge annoyance when it starts running low.

CPU - A stronger processor - yes it is a generation older but is hyperthreaded over the i5 you are looking at and there is not really any difference between the two outside of the hyperhtreading otherwise. From your OP it seems you hang on to CPUs for a while before upgrading them so I think this one would serve you much better both short and long term. As I mentioned above, in TW:WH2 which you said you play, I really can see the difference.

Case - slightly more premium, and In my eyes prettier than the meshify, and smaller than your R3, which you asked for. The Meshify is still a great case though but in my mind the £3 extra for the Define C is worth it. The define mini is also quieter at the expense of airflow, although not majorly, but it also keeps the dust out better. Add in another front fan for £10 and you won't ever notice (make sure to get a good quiet one though).

If you fancy a bit of bling however these are great fans and currently being offered at a decent discount so take advantage fast if you want them: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/120...b-dual-light-loop-triple-fan-pack-with-lighti - this would give you RGB and PWM control, great for reducing noise.

GPU - I didn't go for one with a big overclock as you say you upgraded GPUs previously and so I thought you would again. I don't think the £100 premium for the overclock is worth it myself, you may think otherwise though. EVGA are a good brand for GPUs too.

MB - not the prettiest in my opinion, but great value and the CPU cooler and GFX card will cover most of it.

PSU - fully modular over semi modular and I prefer Seasonic as a manufacturer over Great Wall who manufacture the TX corsairs.

CPU cooler - cost less than man of the better AIO coolers, less to go wrong too.

All this comes with free copies of:

Call of Duty: Black Ops
    Assassins Creed Odyssey PC Standard Edition (x2)
    Battlefield 5

which depending on how they have included them you may be able to sell on if you are not interested in them, should be worth £50-100 at a guess, further bringing the price down.

Overall, I tried to give you a striong platform to upgrade from over the next 4-5 years whilst also giving great performance today. You may need to add in a fan or 2 though.

Note:

If you did drop the extra storage you would be able to squeeze this in:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/315...ms-300cd-m2-speakers-audio-output-dvi-hdmi-dp

that's if you really want a new monitor. It is a biggun though. Personally I would keep the storage and save up for a quality monitor rather than go cheap as I keep my monitors for a long time and its what I have to look at everytime I use my PC, something like this (which if your SSDs are all OK and your PSU is still good you good switch out for):

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-...tn-2560x1440-1ms-1000-1-black-dp-12-hdmi-1-4x

Anyway, hope this helps in some way.

Last edited: 24 Nov 2018
  16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Thanks it does help, lots more to consider now but thanks. I'm not sure about the last gen tech, it's pricey for what is it, although the hyper threading argument is interesting and your right, I do keep CPUs for a fair old time!

17. MightyBenihana

18. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Don't skimp out on the 2070. There's 2 different chips you can get in them: the TU106-400A and the TU106-400. They have the same specs in terns of cores etc, but the chips have all been tested by Nvidia and split into 2 groups where the 400A are faster and cost AIB's more to buy from Nvidia. The cheaper 450-500 pound cards will definitely have the slower chip in them.

MightyBenihana does have a point about about about maybe spending more to get an i7 now for longevity on the cpu. I would rather get the 8700k over a 9700k as you get 6cores and 12 threads for less than than just 8 cores of the 9700k.