1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Recommend me some Vernier Calipers

Discussion in 'General' started by The_Crapman, 27 Jan 2018.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Hi all

I'm after a pair of Calipers, preferably with a digital display for easy reading. They'll be mostly used for measuring stuff less than 2cm, so accuracy at the lower end is essential. In particular I've bought a milled copper IHS for my already de-lidded 7700K and want to ensure it's not going to crush the die as soon as I begin to tighten the screws on my waterblock.

Thanks in advance.

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Mitotoyo or bust.

3. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Mitutoyo, end of. Beware - Fakes abound on fleabay use a reputable tooling supplier.
    Just remember that Calipers are subject to more errors than a Micrometer. Are you trying to measure a recess or pocket?

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

There are a number of good brands to consider, but you won't get the quality unless you stump up the cash. My 150mm vernier calipers are Roebuck and they're easily on par with Mitutoyo (if not better), but certainly not cheap - you're looking at around £50 for digital ones.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've had a set of the cheapies for about two years now and they are not totally accurate. However, to be fair they have always sort of "told me" the part sizes I need for bikes etc which is why I bought them. Whilst not totally accurate they are usually close enough to tell me a bolt size, spindle size, seat post size etc.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Psh, a cheapish set is fine for most purposes but, by all means, spend three or four times the price for a set that will measure more accurately than most people can machine.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2018
    bawjaws likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I should have stipulated a budget of about 20 quid.

And i still can't get used to the whole David thing. It feels like you're "spreading" yourself too thin. :winking:

David likes this.