1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reluctant case fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 26 Mar 2024.

1. kim

kim hardware addict

Hi Bittech members and readers :grin:
    'Had a crush on the Phanteks evolv shift case :cooldude:, wanted to buy the X version but it's solded out everywhere, so I purchased the ITX version 2.
    I finished mounting it all yesterday evening, and everything went fine, except that the Phanteks case fan was not spinning...:eyebrow:
    There are only 3 fans in the case, 2 Lianli BR-lite 120mm and the Phanteks 140mm from the case.
    All 3 fans are linked to a fan splitter with 4 plugs, linked to the secondary fan outlet of the MB, (the CPU fan outlet is used for the pump control).
    The fan splitter has no additional power, but I thought it would be enough to power 3 fans, furthermore, I tested the 3 fans linked on this particular fan splitter separately, and all 3 fans were spinning, but when it is monitored by the MB, the Phanteks fan starts to spin when I start the PC but stops imediately after Windows opening...
    The Gigabyte control center has a fan control interface, it shows 3 lines, CPU, System 1, and PCH
    but none of these is acting on the Phanteks fan...
    I tried also to use the famous software called "FanControl" but there was no way to make this reluctant fan spinning.... :duh: I'm pulling my hair out, well, what's left of it :rollingeyes:
    Ideas?
    Thanks for reading

2. kim

kim hardware addict

I decided to change the fan splitter for a better one, with additional power, same result :sigh:
    I am so sad, I really like the case and everything is working fine except this f...g fan :wallbash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec likes this.
  3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

More info would help - is the fan splitter 4-wire/ 4-pin and therefore using the same PWM signal for all connected fans? This could be the problem.

Arboreal and kim like this.
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Aye, the 140mm might have a much higher minimum %/frequency. Have you tried setting the fan header to max? Or changing it to voltage control instead of pwm?

Arboreal and kim like this.
  5. kim

kim hardware addict

[​IMG]

Great thanks for your replies and ideas the_crapman and LennyRhis, you were both right, it is a problem of pwm signal, all 3 fans are wired with 4 pins but the Phanteks fan is wether in shortcut or badly linked to the wrong voltage, because yesterday, I tried to add another fan, external, linked on this splitter, just to see, and it turns out that without my glasses :cooldude:, I unwillingly plugged it bad, meaning, I inserted it uncentered in one of the outlet's pins of the splitter, so only 3 pins were linked but in the wrong place, I know, :eeek: it could have create a short circuit and burn my gear, but instead, lucky me :grin:, it done something in the fan splitter and all the 3 fans including the phanteks one started to spin at their highest speed :jawdrop:...
    I realised that my fault was the way I linked this Phanteks fan, but I have to dismount it all to spot out the wrong connexion but my loop is so silent and efficient, so I will just use it for a while with the glass panel out...
    I ran the PC for hours and the Ryzen 7 3800xt floating between 35 and 50° C in idle, and never overcame 62°C when I use the PC, and this without any intake fan (except the one below) so...it can wait a bit :naughty:
    Thanks to be present and helpfull every time
    have a nice day

Last edited: 27 Mar 2024
    LennyRhys, The_Crapman and Arboreal like this.
  6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Such a pain when you've got your cable management tight and there's a weird fault you have to dismantle it for. Glad it's sorted

kim likes this.
  7. kim

kim hardware addict

yeah, totally, I spent so many hours cramming it all inside the case, there's not a bubble of air in the loop, and I might have to dismount it all for a fan :wallbash:
    At least I understood why it failed
    thanks to all of you those who reply as those who come by read and and like :rock:

LennyRhys and The_Crapman like this.