1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Resi Evil 5 producer worried about western devs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Well-Known Member

Wow... he's worried? All they have to do is make some games with Mechas, Swords, Guns, and a nice storyline and well... they've done it again with just that.

3. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

As for me, I hate (with all powers) the manga like scenario. And the logic behind them is just so.. anoying... Like dragon ballz: there's always a bigger, badder and more powerfull guy in the next chapter than the previous one wich was supposed to be the most powerfull being in the universe. Just full of manga cliches...

4. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Challenging and complex games are hard to find Mr. Takeuchi. Gaming has gone down GFX Whore Blvd and turned left onto Casual Gaming Expressway.

I can't even think of the last outstanding RPG i've played not including FF7. Oh if anyone says F3 i'll ****ing smack you because that isn't a traditional RPG!

5. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

So what is he saying? Japanese devs no longer know how to attract the Japanese audience? Seems unlikely though I don't know much about current trends in Jap gaming, maybe they've all turned into CoD4 fiends.

6. Psytek

Psytek New Member

He should focus on allowing you to move & shoot at the same time in RE5 before he worries about western devs.

Japanese arrogance at play here methinks.

7. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

lmao couldn't agree more

8. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

surely this is a good thing for us regardless? If better games are being made overall, we have no worries as a consumer where they come from.

Sounds like hes saying "Im worried there are better developers out there"...well gee, shucks....step up your game then!

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Give us the same thing you give them! We are happy with that.

10. Nature

Nature Member

resident evil and metal gear solid are so cheesy to us easterners!

Geographically the US is east of Japan.. I'm trying to re-educate those using this 19th century term.

Resident evil 4 was so incredibly cheesy plot, voice acting, and story wise... Gameplay rocked though same for metal gear.

11. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

I think MGS is one of the few series that has a good plot from game one to final. Resident Evil had a very good storyline but soon turned to crap with RE4.

12. themax

themax New Member

Here is his problem first he says this..

"It's not good if Japanese developers are making games that can't be enjoyed by Japanese people,"

Then it turns to this...

Takeuchi then hinted that Capcom was ready to turn things around however, with a host of unannounced games in development that would appeal to Japanese and western gamers alike.

When Capcom stopped making Japanese style games, they stopped appealing to their Japanese audience. It's not some great revelation that Capcom has lost them in their hard on for the Western Audience because of the Xbox 360's success. Western and Eastern tastes in games are vastly different. Just because it sells in the west doesn't mean it will in Japan and vice versca. Only a hand full of games managed to do it, and that was thanks to a huge marketing blitz (FF7, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden) at the time to push the games overseas and also being that Japanese development was the primary source on consoles.

Now the tide has turned, Capcom is worried because they aren't the premiere developer overseas they used to be, and at the same time, they adandoned their native audience to pursue the Western market, now they want to go back? Too late now. You only need to look at SF4 (art direction) and RE4/5 (gameplay) to see just how lacking their Japanese style is in their games now.

Tags: Add Tags