1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Return to water cooling.

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by 5aboy, 2 May 2023.

1. 5aboy

5aboy Minimodder

Hi folks.

Last time I water cooled we were using something called a pa120.3 and I had 2 of those with Yate loon fans...all to cool a q6600 in a thermalright Mozart case.

Fast forward many years and I've been living off laptops until I got a small ryzen machine for my home server.

Now it resides in a rack in the garage alongside a forcepoint 1100 pfsense router.

I don't like the noise.

What I'm thinking is this:
    Mora or the alphacool external radiator to sit in the bottom of the rack. 9x 120 or 140 fans running minimum rpm
    Tygon r3603 tubing...I presume that's still a thing...1/2"Id.
    A pump.. probably just a single DDC 4.2 (I think this is the update to the 3.2 I had back in the day)
    A pumptop that has as wide bore as possible or a top res.
    An EK distribution block sitting at the middle of the back of the rack.
    Quick disconnects between that and tubing going into the router (has a pentium d1508, only 1u high so need a block that is either side insert or use 90 fittings although iv heard they can be quite tall)
    And also a quick disconnect into the server which has a ryzen 4650g at present (I want to upgrade to a 5900 or 5950x).
    I want to have thermalheadroom for a GPU at some stage.

Is this all stupid and a big waste of time and money and what sort of fittings should I use.?

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It's be really cool (in both senses), but maybe a bit ott.

Pump - DDC is good, my preferred choice, 4.2 or 3.2 would be fine.

Res (and/or top) - literally anything is, as long as it holds coolant. I'd probably go for a tube pump-res for compactness and ease of use.

Distro block - do you mean something like this rather than the acrylic show distro plate found in O11D etc? I think that would be good idea in conjunction with QDCs for ease of access, routing maintenance, tinkering etc

QDCs - koolance is still the absolute best, but don't overlook someone like barrow, alphacool, that are literally half the price. There are also more industrial type ones that I've bought a few of and they work fine, flow is good, but a bit more stuff getting on and off so might not be great if they're getting stuck somewhere difficult to access.

Fittings and tubing - get EPDM tubing. Black tubing similar to think neoprene, but bit more durable. 16/10 size and compression fittings to match. Barrow or xspc fittings are decent and don't cost a bomb.

Rads - mora3 would be good, but expensive. could have a look though eBay for some big chunky rads ek 480 for less than £50. I got an alphacool Monsta 480 for £40 cause it didn't have any G1/4 plugs, but got a pack of 10 for Less than £10

Fans - ARCTIC P12 (5 Pack) - 120 mm Case Fan, Pressure-optimised, quiet motor, Computer, Fan Speed: 1800 RPM - Black https://amzn.eu/d/0eNYqSA
    £22 for 5 really good fans. Bargain.

Blocks - alphacool, watercool and ek do some 1u blocks . Shouldn't have too much bother finding one.

Have a look on ebay for stuff you need. Got a load of watercooling gear off eBay lately, including GPU blocks for £40-50, rads and fittings. Flash bathroom spray is a miracle worker for getting stubborn old coolant off/out of stuff. Just be sure to rinse it a **** ton after.

3. 5aboy

5aboy Minimodder

thanks!

i got a load of tygon that im going to use and now need to source the rest of it. not sure if i need 1 or 2 pumps.

yes the EK distribution block sitting at the back of the cabinet would work well for the QDs to go into.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If that tygon is old, from when you last watercooled a rig, bin it. It's likely to have some decay and potential to leech stuff into the coolant. If it's relatively new then it's fine. One pump should be fine, 2 for a little safety in redundancy more than bringing a performance benefit.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If its in your garage I'd question why you'd want to do this? Ryzen 9 7900 is only 65W and a 4070 is 200W, so with those you wouldn't need crazy cooling...