1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ryzen benchmark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Feb 2017.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Not exactly surprising, Intel's regular pattern of behaviour back in play - new socket type, new chipset, release, refresh both, re-release etc etc

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah saw that a few days ago. Pretty crazy, but I guess that's Intel. I mean, you would know that when you get yourself into it.

4. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I'm glad to be out of it truth be told, it was just one of the many reasons I jumped - no regrets since doing so, I think on refection intel are still searching for a modern day Sandybridge to whoo the masses with.

5. Vault-Tec

They are never going to find it now that Ryzen is out. They also had the "threat' of Bulldozer hanging over them when they priced Sandy, so that won't ever happen again. Alienating users with new sockets every time they release a new CPU is a joke though. Honestly, I think Intel users have forgotten what a drop in CPU upgrade feels like. And I am talking about a real, proper drop in CPU upgrade, not just two more cores or some more threads or maybe a slightly higher clock speed.

This philosophy has also damaged things too. For example, you buy a Intel CPU and board to suit. Just out of warranty your board dies, so you go to buy a replacement (let's say 13 months if you had a one year warranty) You can't find one, because Intel have changed sockets. Heck, even when my X79 died 11 months in MSI messed me around for a month before admitting they had nothing to replace it with. Not any X79 board at any level (mine was the biggest baddest one costing £350).

That's ridiculous. Just utterly ridiculous. So now it isn't just "Well I fancy a new I7 7700K @ £330 (or whatever they cost)" But "OK So I need to find around £500 and replace my board too"

I was on AMD CPUs for years. I had the original Phenom 9550, Phenom 2 940, Phenom 2 1055T, and of course my 8320. You can still easily go out and buy AM3 boards now. Throughout all of that I had two motherboards. An Asus M3A32? MVP WIFI Deluxe and a CHIV. Before I bought the used M3A I had an Asrock board that cost me £38 brand new and supported Crossfire, which I used with two 5770s for a couple of years.

Slightly OT, but recently we were talking about Vega and some one said that AMD may have held shaders/cores back when they launched the FE. I said "AMD don't do things like that" and I meant it. Not only with GPUs but with CPUs too. You guys who bought Ryzen will probably buy at least two more CPUs at some point in time and I would bet my rig (not the dear one :D ) that you will be dropping them into the same board you have now.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'm surprised that people are shocked by Intel making yet another 'new' socket with a different pin layout to the one before. The pin count is actually identical, just wired differently. They have been the same since 1156, all the way through to 1151, the only reason is wiring changes.

I'm also extremely glad that I jumped ship and that I did it when it cost me nothing to do the swap. I am excited to see what happens when AMD release a refresh of these 8 cores, and to see whether or not they will hit higher clock speeds. We are basically running early 5820K/5960X's that could only just about manage 4 GHz with stupid heat and volts (although the heat isn't bad with these AMD chips) ... so things can only get better with time. That is what excites me.

I won't be going down the TR road unless I can get AMD to send me a board and chip. That's rather unlikely, but hey!

7. Vault-Tec

Intel charge a hefty license fee for sockets. That is probably why they change them so much.

I mean FFS right, if AMD can get Bristolridge working in an AM4 socket designed for Zen why can't Intel just keep the same chipset/board? BR is a completely different technology to Zen/Ryzen, yet AMD have made it work so you only need to buy one bloody mobo.

Intel behaved themselves with socket 775. It even stayed the same when they made the switch to DDR3. They need to learn that again. I wouldn't even mind if they just ceased doing all of this sh***y stuff now that Ryzen is out but they are not, they are continuing with it and just making themselves look like total arseholes.

8. TheMadDutchDude

That they are, and it probably explains why the AMD market share is up over 10% this quarter. Intel are fighting a losing battle, and need to wake up. It's funny... we were saying that about AMD not all that long ago. :D

That's just it... AMD can make it work, so Intel can too. They only change their wiring around for the most stupid of reasons, I'd imagine. They're not adding new features or making drastic changes (come on, 3% at best!) to their chip design... nothing needs to change in the socket.

9. Vault-Tec

The thing is at least AMD were not deliberately making dumb mistakes. They didn't have much of a choice. BD was a bit crap, and at the time only two cores were really supported in everything so they had a hard case to make. PD was better (around I7 920 IPC) but again, no core support. They finally got them all supported in Win 8, but who wanted to move to Win 8? not the most popular M$ OS ever :D

This time though? Ryzen cores are powerful. More than enough to make people sit up and take note (especially Intel, who seem to be having a core enema as I type this !) And that's good. What isn't good is that Intel appear to have seen nothing coming *at all*. I mean FFS, Jim Keller, right? even I could see that !!

Everything they are doing seems massively discombobulated. FFS did they really not plan for this at all? Every move they have made since that Ryzen benchmark has been awkward, clumsy, and just makes them look like greedy dicks.

10. TheMadDutchDude

Exactly!! That's how I feel in a summary. :D

Intel came up with the 'yeah, well, we have 18 core extreme chips coming,' so where are they, Intel? Nowhere. That's right. You just said it to make sure you weren't outdone by AMD in the core race. We all know that they're just slightly modified Xeon chips with features cut away. Not to mention... $999 TR or $1999 for two cores more. Pfft. Wake up!

I'm actually in the midst of writing a review on the 7740X (why, I don't know!) and I'll be brutally honest and tell it how it is. The chip is garbage and most definitely doesn't belong on a HEDT board. They're turning into the laughing stock of the IT world right now.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

At least until the inevitable 32 core Ripper 2.
    (While AMD hasn't said a word about Ripper 2 they've already said Epyc 2 will double the core count back when they unveiled Epyc).

12. Vault-Tec

OCUK are now selling delidded X299 CPUs that reach 5.4ghz apparently. Am I impressed? No, not in the slightest. All it means to me is that Intel are selling top end CPUs with all of the problems they have not fixed.

Hilariously I find their 5.4ghz about as boring as AMD's 5ghz Centurions.

/Shania Twain.

13. Vault-Tec

Aye that's why you could fall into the X399 socket and never get out :D

It's a mouse bed of nails that thing :D

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

£569 for a quad core CPU? Oh ffs...

Perfect for the buyers of the dumbest mainboards ever announced though:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-and-msi-to-release-kaby-lake-x-specific-motherboards.html

Last edited: 7 Aug 2017
  15. TheMadDutchDude

Oh look. A Z270 turned into X299...

**** meeeee.

16. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

They're with the 7350K in the 'Intel, are you high? No seriously, are you on smack or something?' box.

Anfield and Vault-Tec like this.
  17. rollo

rollo Modder

The problem AMD and to some extent Intel have is that for 99% of users, Mobile cpus in smartphones are now fast enough for there day to day needs. Convincing them to upgrade to the next pc is very hard. In the 90s windows was considered a reason to upgrade I know many who did for that reason. 2017 we are likely to be stuck with windows 10 indefinitly, With small incremental upgrades similar to what Apple does. seem to be the way forward.

VR Was not the big kick everyone wanted, Now Intel and AMD need to find something else to push sales with.

18. Vault-Tec

I know it doesn't speak for everything but I've seen an awful lot of people building Ryzen based PCs.

19. TheMadDutchDude

As have I. More so than Intel rigs, by a long shot.

20. Vault-Tec

Yup and nearly all of them have been by the cautious brigade. I7 920 users, 2500k etc. The sort of people who don't buy upgrades every year. I bet the 1600 is going like f*****g rocket fuel atm. Especially after the Custom PC group test thing. 3 of the 5 recommended CPUs are now AMD. And I got a good feeling that will be at least four once that 16 core Threadripper arrives.