1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s939 Crossfire/SLi board with PCI-X or PCI Express x4?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bradford010, 23 Jan 2006.

1. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Hey guys.

So I'm putting my new system together (or at least deciding what I want components wise) and am looking for a board with a particular spec.

s939
    Dual Graphics (preferably Crossfire).
    PCI-X interface (longshot, I know).
    OR
    PCI Express x4 or greater.
    Basic overclocking features.

Obviously the A8N32-SLI is an option, but another solution might be something with more than 2 PCI Express x16 slots (a la Gigabyte's GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal, since the x16 slots should be backward compatible with any PCI Express device that will physically fit in 'em (anyone actually tried this for real?)).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

I've got just the Mobo for you. The Sapphire PURE Crossfire PC-A9RD480, It must one of the best overclocking CrossFire Baords made and is no where near as tempermental like the DFI CF mobo. See http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/PI-A9RD480/ for a full review, also you've gotta love the that colour shceme ;).

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Umm, unless I'm missing something then that board doesn't have everything Bradfor010 asked for. He said he wanted PCI-E x4 or PCI-X on top of the dual graphics slots, and by the looks of things the linked mobo only has dual graphics.

I'd consider the A8N32-SLI, it seems to be one of the few boards that will fullfill your needs.

4. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

opps I missed that :sigh:

5. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I'd go for the A8N32-SLI.
    Unless you have ~£600 spare for one of these and a pair of 200 series Opterons.

6. bradford010

Sadly, no, I don't have money to burn ;)
    Otherwise I wouldn't be trying to save pennies by OCing the 144 I have in the post.

What stepping is yours severedhead, out of curiosity?

7. customh

customh conflagration.

About the only thing out there is the A8N32-SLi for your specs, and why would you want to shell out for crossfire when the performance is nowhere near that of SLi? Just curious. IMHO you should go SLi and forget about this crossfire business until they become competitive.

8. bradford010

Either way (SLi, Crossfire) that's my plan.
    Good card now/soon (X1900 xx maybe) followed with second card later on (by which point crossfire will hopefully be a bit more competitive).

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

This is a standard in the PCI Express spec, and not specific to any motherboard. It may not match up electrically, but if it fits, the most you'll do is lose some bandwidth (in the case of slots with no back "stopper" so a card could overhang). This is also true of PCI/PCIX - you can put a PCI-X card in a PCI slot, and it'll work, albeit at a huge loss of bandwidth.

I too would say the A8N32-SLI is the best bet.

10. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Tis a CAB2E.

11. customh

customh conflagration.

I might go for crossfire, but as im an nVidia man, im thinking just when crossfire is becoming competitive nVidia is going to snuff out their little candle with a new product line