1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Screen artifacts then black screen

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by lworbey, 2 Dec 2009.

1. lworbey

lworbey What's a Dremel?

I've been having problems starting my PC.

The PC boots to the desktop for about 15 seconds then the graphics messses up with lines all over (Ive attached some screens). This stays on screen for half a second then the screen goes blank but the PC is still running. The lines aren't always the same but similar

Ive got 2 graphics cards in SLI so I tried each card individually in case there was a problem with either but that didn't help. Ive tried each RAM chip separately but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

- If you have overclocked your GPU, de-overclock it to factory settings.
    - If you have overclocked your CPU or motehrboard chipset or memory return it to factory setting. (Dont' overclock anything). - Feel free to reset the BIOS settings.
    - Ensure that the GPU's fan are spinning.

If the above doesn't work, follow the next steps.

1- Get a Compressed air can
    2- Remove both GPU's and clean the PCI-E contact with the compressed air can
    3- Clean the fan and heatsink with the compress air can
    4- While leave the case open, attach back 1 GPU if see if the problem is fixed (leave the case open). Else proceed.

5- By leaving only 1 GPU, download the latest Nvidia graphic card drivers over Nvidia.com website.
    6- Uninstall your current Nvidia drivers
    7- Restart your computer
    8- Install the video card drivers
    9- Restart your computer and see if it helps, else continue

10- Ensure that the the display connector is not damaged. Replace with another one to be sure, see if it helps, else continue.

11- Move your GPU to another PCI-E socket (you will need to change the order of the GPU in the BIOS IIRC). Now see if it helps.

12- I am out of ideas.. your GPU is probably broken. Try them on a different computer just to rule out a motherboard problem.

3. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

this is a problem usually with overclocking nvidia cards.. if good's suggestions above don't work- it maybe a faulty gpu, especially if that's happening without a 3d app or game running.. what usually happens from what I've seen, while pushing the clocks, you'll get a bunch of artifacts that won't go away until reboot, even in 2d- once it starts that's it

if your pushing voltage you could get a screen that's just a bunch of different pixels and locks- even at stock speeds.. if your not ocing you should never see either of these problems

4. appeage09

appeage09 What's a Dremel?

No mods nothing has been done to the fone the prob is that the ex screen lights up but its black u cant see anything.....any way this can b fixed...thanks

5. Renegade

Renegade What's a Dremel?

I'm having the same problem with a new XFX ATI Radeon 5770 1Gb PCIe card. It's a brand new build and there's been no overclocking or tweaking of any settings.