1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate claims SSD patent

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

He's wrong on one front - SSDs *are* key to the future of notebooks. I want light weight and ZERO noise; battery life (if it improves) is a bonus and while I've never killed a notebook HDD the greater robustness of SDD is a bonus.

Couldn't give a toss about capacity - 32GB is more than enough for work + a bit of fun. Sure, on a per GB price basis it's more expensive but it will certain fall into "affordable if you want it" soon enough

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Outstanding, Seagate! Don't bother innovating or creating, just hire some lawyers and win anyway.

Fantastic attitude.

Wonderful. Very helpful.

God almighty...

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Ah, man.... here we go.... :wallbash:

5. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

SSD is the future, period. They have far greater potential than HDs. HDs are mechanically limited, they can only go so fast and we are reaching their limit. The harder and faster you push a HD the smaller the MTBF gets. Companies use 15k RPM drives, but they are in RAID arrays. So if one fails you just swap it. But 99% of most consumers don't even know what RAID stands for, let alone use one. That drive fails and that's it for all their music, movies, and photos.

The MTBF for SSDs is very high. Plus you do not have to worry about dropping it while it is on and breaking it (I did that with an external once).

As soon as the transfer speeds and capacity increase more people will start buying and the price will plummet. It is already happening. Anyone who does not see that is an idiot.

BTW I love Seagate, I think they make excellent drives. But Watkins is either dumber than a box of rocks or is looking for some sort of effect by saying that.

6. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

You mean, having the words "seagate" and "SSD" on the headlines of every tech site? :D

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i don't really like seagate drives, all of the ones i have put in systems ended up being substituted by Samsung and WD and Hitachi ones.....

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

From what I have seen, Seagate drives are among the most reliable and least noisy (varies between models). Hitachi, however... don't get me started on that one...

I run Seagate and WD in all the computers i have chosen drives for myself.

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

Last Seagate I ran, it had constant use for 6 years. 6 years! And then it finally died. Honestly, I've never had any HDD problems with any company, with the exception (a big exception) of Maxtor.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

How incredibly counter-productive. Progress? pah!

Seagate needs to be hit with a stick, or a trout

RE reliability - no company is more or less reliable than any other. Different models of drives may be particularly robust and others could be terribly unreliable. Every manufacturer out there has had a generation of drives that were complete lemons, Seagate included.

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

HAhahahaa

True. Definitely true. I can only speak from personal experience in saying that every Maxtor I've ever gotten died a quick death for really no apparent reason. And the replacements. Other brands I've tended to have a better track-record with.

12. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Maxtor itself was a lemon, period.

as for me, give me hard-state mag-ram and then we're talking :naughty:

13. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

If Seagate are sitting on patents that would really be that lucrative I doubt they would be content with making vague threats. They just want to scare the competition while avoiding the courts.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I'm not saying that Seagate drives doesn't fail.

I have worked with lots of computers, and can say that the current drives from Hitachi seems to be utter crap. Maxtor was also crap, but they don't exist any more, so... (Bought by Seagate IIRC)

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Everyone has a different story.

I've used oodles of maxtor drives and have had just one fail (out of dozens). Even the ones that were from the "crap" series were fine. Had a couple of IBMs fail years ago, but never lost an HGST drive. Samsung and Fujitsu have also been completely solid in my experience. Seagate has the worst track record with me, both with desktop and enterprise drives. Go figure.

Maxtor was indeed bought by Seagate. Some of the most amusing advice I've ever seen on a forum was something along the lines of "Maxtor drives are crap, buy this Seagate drive instead" with a link to a "Seagate" drive that was actually a rebranded Maxtor :lol:

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Bingo.

I've had/experienced at least one drive from all the major manufacturers from most of their lines over the years, and the only one that died was a Maxtor DM9 - 3 years after its warranty was up. That includes IBM 75GXP's and allsorts of "unreliable" and otherwise crappy drives.

HGST's are my current favourite because they're pretty fast, fairly quiet and a bit cheaper than most brands.

17. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Just have a look at that RAID they set up with SSDs, I think they will take off. As for this whole thread drift, I always get Seagate's for the warranty and only 2 have failed (both travelled around the world in a plastic clamshell)

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Seagate is the bomb when it comes to HDD's

Tags: Add Tags