1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Seen anything cool on the road lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by docodine, 2 Aug 2009.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Its all about the torque produced, horse power is nothing without torque

2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

... for a guy that can make people disappear, scam thousands of people and get away with it keying his vehicle might be rather silly nomsayin?

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Quite. Hence "resist".

4. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

first: it only produces 356ft-lbs of torque, which isnt a lot for its displacement.

second: this statement has always made me laugh. torque is a static measurement. there is no time function. i have a pneumatic 1/2" drive impact wrench that makes 400ft-lbs of torque but does that mean it would make a good race car engine? no, because it makes a pitiful amount of horsepower.

torque figures are good for giving you an idea of how useful an engines power output is. if i tell you an engine makes 300HP and 250ft-lbs of torque you can safely guess that it makes all of its power at high RPM and would be anemic at lower speeds. on the contrary if i say an engine makes 150HP and 350ft-lbs of torque then you know you have something with good grunt but with power that will quickly taper off on the high end.

torque makes a difference, no argument there. but its hardly "all about the torque" IMO.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I have a whole parts list lying at home (which I put together a year or so ago with a mate). We spoke to the guys at Birkin (which is similar to a Caterham 7, with proper rear suspension), and hey assured us that the engine we wanted to put in could be made to fit.
    nothing like 11.000 RPM from a 2.odd liter engine.
    We also spec'ed a 600-bhp sequential race 'box (with quick adjust ratios) and shifting electronics from a company that does F2 car shifting electronics.
    It's about 400K ZAR (that's ROUGHLY 30K GBP) for the engine, gearbox and shifting harness alone. But it's be worth it...

In this case: Portuguese fisheries, which in Namibia means politically "connected", suppressing statistics about the state of fishing (and the resultant seal culling which is stirring a bit of turmoil internationally lately), etc...
    In Namibia, "potuguese" means "Angolan", which is nearly synonymous with "diamonds", but often other money that's dodgy. Yes, it's a stereotype, but it's enforced more often than not, and in this case, I know it's factual.

OT: I saw a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder LP570-4 Performante (a superleggera convertible, then) at a motor show... a white one.
    Too bad they had about 100000000 km of barrier tape around it, and a guy cleaning it the whole time, so it was worthless to take a pic, or to try to get close

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

208hp@4kRPM. 480Nm@2kRPM. Great engine for cruising, but it won't move a 2200kg car very quickly anywhere.

It's not quite as simple as that though - torque and power are generally happy bedfellows in everything but super-high RPM performance engines. Don't forget that Power = Torque*RPM/5252

So at 2k RPM where peak torque is on that Lincoln we've got 140hp coming out. 480Nm and 140hp at 2000 RPM makes it a great lump for cruising, but as you say, with only 208hp to play with higher up, we'll have a quick drop-off of grunt, so you need a nice autobox to keep plowing through.

Look the other way at a small N/A engine in my car, 120hp at 6600RPM, 108lb.ft at 5200RPM. Low down it doesn't feel very special, it's more than enough to scoot round 900kg at normal speeds, but everything's clustered up at 5k+RPM when it suddenly comes on song and pulls right up to the limiter and makes everything go crazy. :D

I think that's a pretty optimistic price given how expensive these parts are new - the 3.0 V8 from the Atom was pretty much road-spec (i.e. doesn't need a rebuild after 30 hours) with the Sadev sequential box is £60k new. The Powertec one that goes into the Radical SR8 is about £35k now, but in its quicker form it'll need a rebuild every 30 hours of running. That's before you start with fab work getting it into the car, getting someone to map it etc. After that it's all cheaper though, and there won't be much that can touch that thing once it's done. :D

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
  7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Pricing was (admittedly) converted from USD, and excluded shipping, import duties, etc... so you're probably right, Krikkit.

8. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

:D never knew that we were known like that but looking at our government , i not only see why but also totally agree lool but i still can't stop laughing .....

my sincere apologies from Portugal lol

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

My mates just bought a rather nice looking 106 peugeot 1.6 gti

I thought well that looks rather nice... After being in it for about 15 minutes it's like a freaking rocket ship! damn i was impressed.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

70's era 911 & BMW 2002 convertible.

Also, I could swear I saw a single seater driven by a Stig-alike near Demon Tweeks last night.

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Could well bee Stig, I know they're recording the new season of TG.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

12. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I can tell you it wasnt him.

13. Krikkit

Could be - BAC's factory is only up the road from there!

Chances are slim though, the Mono'll be going down to Dunsfold if TG are reviewing it, who wants to see it on the road rather than the track?

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It could indeed have been a BAC Mono. He was following a Demon Tweeks van towards their shop.
    BAC are 35-ish miles from where I saw it, according to Google Maps.

15. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Saw an AC Cobra Mk IV I think today sigh why do they have to be so expensive.

16. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

It's ok. It's not an Aston. It's a Jag in Drag. ;)

17. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

S'ok, I still have a stiffy for it :naughty:

Speaking of Jags though, I caught up to a gorgeous blue XKR-S this morning on my way to work. The guy was driving like a proper f**kwit though, not letting me pass him along the right (safe) side. I'm not particularly proud of what I did, but let's just say he's likely to drive on the far left for the next few days.

18. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

You know why it looks so wrong? Take a long look at the front door, windscreen and front section of the bonnet. Remind you of anything? Yup, that's right. It's an old leyland mini welded to a stretched ladder chassis.

Poor mini.

Mind you, there are weirder kits out there - take the Sherply for example. A blower Bentley based on that obvious donor, the Sherpa van! :D

19. Krikkit

A few spots at Hockenheim, amongst a sea of totally dull grey and black German motors (the ratio in the car park was 5 of those for every other car, be it interesting German or other nations):

Ferrari 308 racer on its way to the Spa race for the Ferrari Owner's Club at the ferry terminal:
    [​IMG]

New CLS63 Shooting Brake - very elegant in person...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Weissman something, nasty matte paint but no doubt a great car!
    [​IMG]

6-wheeled Peugeot 205 parked up in the public area at the track:
    [​IMG]

Retro 911 Turbo:
    [​IMG]

SL65 AMG:
    [​IMG]

Boxster Spyder (Looks even better in person!):
    [​IMG]

S1/1.5 (to my eye) E-type on the way home:
    [​IMG]

20. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I saw a proper hot rod this morning, classic car with the engine covers removed with exposed chromed engine shining . I'm clueless when it comes to old cars but it could very well have been a Model T although it did look a bit weird as it was lowered but the roof hadn't been chopped.