1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Should I? 950--->2700k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HandMadeAndroid, 24 Jan 2012.

1. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

That's because the BF3 engine just sort of sucks. It's very pretty and physics-y but it is so horribly optimized it's laughable

Though yeah you'd want 2GB VRAM for above 1920x1080.

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Did you not read my last post??? Save your money and wait for Ivybridge-E Skt 2011.
    Take some advice from peeps, who have been there and have got the T-Shirt!:)

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I did some experimenting yesterday... Thing is at 1920 I always play it on I have to run HIGH settings. I could run Ultra in single player but on a 64 player map what happens is the game will stutter at frantic moments. Initially I thought that was because AA was on a little but even with AA disabled completely, and with only one or two Ultra settings like textures and terrain details the FPS drops from 80+ and stutters momentarily. Even if it happens only once every few minutes it is not acceptable so I revert back to HIGH settings.

My 560Ti's have only 1gb GDDR. The one thing I haven't tried is running the game at 1680 instead to see how that might boost FPS. On HIGH settings I don't get any stuttering and the FPS doesn't drop below 60. It averages 90 to 100 which for me is better than running at lower FPS and having stutter. Stutter gets you killed.

4. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Don't bother. Keep your 950.

5. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

+1 on keeping the 950.

6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Until 4 months ago I had i7 P55. i7 860 which used to OC to 4ghz with 4gb ram. When I changed to 8gb ram it struggled at 4ghz and I had to knock it back to 3.8ghz. TBH overclocking was always a struggle with the EVGA Cheesecake 657 and it was a love/hate relationship during the 3 years I had that mobo. When it died last year it was 3 months from it's 3 year end of warranty. EVGA replaced it but I decided to get rid and go for i5. It was best decision. The ASUS mobo is amazing and the i5 is way beyond the i7 860 in terms of overclocking and energy efficiency.

I don't miss the Hyperthreading especially since I'm at 5ghz. I didn't miss it even at 4.4ghz.

LGA 2011 is a disappointment in my view because of the cost of the processors and the marginal performance improvement. I may upgrade my CPU to IVY if it's worth the wait. You should forget about LGA 2011 and wait until Ivy.

7. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Thanks for everyone's advice!! Stuff is now for sale in the UK sale forum...swapping out for 3930k