1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Should you buy a more efficient power supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Jan 2014.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I hate those people

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Lol, but I have to admit I must be borderline with my PSU, and my rig with 1KW. Never thought to measure how much my rig pulls from the wall, but it's never missed a beat! :)

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

:D

I was once stung by the underpowered dual 12v rail PSU's of old. It was a "good" PSU (by Silverstone) but I had to upgrade it earlier than I should have to accommodate a x1950 pro.

Not this time babyyyyyy - 74A single 12v rail. :D

Last edited: 12 Apr 2014
  4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I had to do similar with the HD 2900XT, but my upgrade of a new PSU was more due to buying a cheap £30 600W PSU, and running 3DMarks 06 for the first time on it, only to have the crap scared out of me and my mate as it went BANG half way through! :D

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Lol. Did it smell like victory? :hehe:

6. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

No, not at all, as my first thoughts was the GPU blow up from where the small cloud of smoke came from! Lol

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I know the feeling. Whilst working away I once lived in a shared house. One morning before going to work I was using the owner's PC to browse the web (he had 2Mb cable which was ultra fast at the time). He used to leave his PC on 24/7 but, as Sod's Law dictates, 10 minutes after I started browsing, the PSU blew up in dramatic style. Not a good feeling at all.

(I took it to bits that evening and luckily it was obvious that the fan had become so clogged up that it couldn't spin.)

Last edited: 12 Apr 2014
  8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Yeah we all hate you Crappy :hehe:

Love the sneaky sig edit!

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I don't understand how anyone could allow it to clog up so much? (Maybe I'm a clean freak, as I can't even allow the slightness build up of dust on a fan.)

So did it work after that?

I had to add a new tag, as your eyes are far superior to mine at this time of night! Lol

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

No, it had overheated and blown a rectifier to bits (I could see it hanging off its heatsink once I'd taken the lid off the PSU). Luckily it didn't take anything else down with it and the PC powered up just fine when I fitted a replacement PSU.

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I can't remember who i bought this off now, but at the time i had plans for 25 480's in raid 0 cooled with higgs bosons. Now i can't even find the time or lapse in lazyness to watercool a single 670. But i did make it look pretty (ish) :D

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Bet you was best pleased in buying a new PSU for your house mate...

I did blowup another PSU by flicking the 240v to 110v switch on back of the PSU whilst the PC was on. I guess I was just curious what the switch did... Well lets just say I got a big shock when it went BANG, and got a proper ass whopping from my Mum all those years ago! Lol

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

To be honest I was more worried about blowing his PC up (it was his house and I didn't really want to pi$$ him off) so I managed to finish work early, buy a new PSU from a local PC repair shop and fit it before he got back from work. Thank The Lawd it hadn't borked the rest of the PC. He was fine about it though and after I showed him the state of his old PSU fan he reimbursed me the cost of the new PSU.

Lol. Yes, that'll do it. :D