1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Sick of Win 7 compatibility issues, I'm going back to XP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dave_c, 8 Mar 2010.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

ok i have enough now, im "downgrading" back to XP

i have way to many pieces of software on my system that just wont move in 7, ill reupgrade in a year or so when they are updated.

anything i need to keep in mind when downgrading? i.e. im gonna do a full format of all Hdds. anything else i need to be awaire of?

2. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

Have you tried running the programs in compatibility mode?

Out of interested, what programs aren't working?

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I haven't encountered a single program that will not run in Windows 7. Maybe if you weren't using antiquated pieces of software, you wouldn't have the issue?

4. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

yer i have, its stuff like 3dsmax, it works ok, but im getting triple the number of crashes that i used to with XP. Zbrush aswell. older games just dont like 7 at all :).

only other option is to either dual boot, (which there isnt really any point in imo) or emulate, which again i find to be more hastle than its worth

thats beside the point, i want to run the software i want to run. so 7 is no good.

Last edited: 8 Mar 2010
  5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They're getting defensive because most people love their shiny Win7, going back to XP is a big step down, but if you really are getting so many crashes then it might be worth it.

The only thing I would say is have you tried the "XP Mode" virtualization? I know it won't help with games but it should cure most of your issues with the other programs, and that way you can keep the shiny. :)

6. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

im actually running that atm, it didnt really help.

the reason i posted this was because of a situaton i have had in the past where i would get a XP Pro system with a pirated copy on it, and need to install an authentic version on XP Home. it caused alot of issues (inability to boot without the XP home disk in the drive for starters)

i just wanted to know if i should expect anything like that?

7. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

Not if you install properly. The issue you mentioned happens when you install Home over Pro without formatting properly.

It's mental going to XP:- less secure, less efficient, less stable, limited support for modern hardware, limted years of full support available.
    What programs exactly are you having issues with? I don't think I've found anything that won't work except one disc only, that has obsolete Hexalock encryption. I can believe the crashing you apparently have, I've never had such a stable system as with 7 & Vista, you must have other issues, hardware drivers, dodgy RAM, poor install/setup/BIOS issues. Even old obscure stuff like Hostile Waters [a classic Win '98 game] works fine, and DOSBox sorts everything else out.

XP mode is OK, but an even better option is a 'real' virtual PC [MS or other] with an XP license.

8. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Virtualization isn't going to work for 3D programs/games.

3ds max is notoriously buggy. Which version are you using? I hear 2010 is pretty nice, and is the first version designed for Windows 7.

9. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

im back on XP now, everything is working fine. the end game im afraid is i dont NEED all the stuff in win 7, XP is plenty.
    other than the extra polish, i didn't benefit from 7 at all.

thanks for the help tho, appreciate it

Update: i am ashaimed, it was the fault of a single (pretty much unused) plugin in max, have removed the plugin and reinstalled 7. sorry for the hastle :)

Last edited: 10 Mar 2010
  10. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

You Crazy Man​

[​IMG]

Please Not This Is Not Done In Bad Taste " i just luvs my shiney win7"​

11. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Your problem is with VLC. It's simple playing your specific video format. Probably it doesn't liek how your M4k video format was encoded.

They are better players than VLC. I offered them on your forum. If you choose to ignore it, then don't come and complain on Windows 7 about a VLC problem.

13. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

dont get so pissed off goodbytes, i dont ignore anything. you know what.....i cant be bothered

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

ok, sorry.