1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware SilverStone TJ08-E Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 7 Sep 2011.

1. leonlee

leonlee What's a Dremel?

When I first saw the case, it reminded me of the Lian Li PC-A05. I'm glad that Silverstone was able to improve on the concept. This is just the case that I was waiting for.

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

This case has a ton of potential. And it should be more quiet than my HAF 932.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Yeah I know but he was being a pretentious.....**** about it.

In that vein should every review title feature the products size as well as its part number and manufacturer?

4. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

i just want cut a window in the side panel ...blasphemy?

5. bOO9000

bOO9000 What's a Dremel?

6. longweight

Not if you do a good job......

7. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

One thing that is missing from reviews of the TJ08-E is specifics about what depth/width of CPU heatsink can fit in this case when there are harddrives installed in the HDD cage. Not just towers either, but also low profile - height might also be a factor with low profile heatsinks if they are wide/deep enough that one has to account for the connectors on HDDs.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2011
  8. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Thats Genius. With hot air rising, the coolest part of a case will be the bottom, which is where the CPU is in this case. The hot graphics card is then ABOVE it!

Why has no-one ever thought of this before. Its brilliant.

Want

9. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Oh, and the grumpy guy who had to read to page 2 to realise that the case was Micro-ATX, I scanned straight to the specifications and there it was. And just above it, it said the only restriction on hardware choice was a micro-ATX mobo.

How did you get to page 2 without realising?

10. longweight

I think it had to be a troll.

11. longweight

I don't think the cooling would really work with the HDD cages full, you wouldn't get much air flow through a wall of HDDs!

12. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

The Lian Li PC-A05, Lanboy air (if you want it to), I think the TJ07 can?, have done it this way, and there's some others too, I'm sure.
    I jsut don't know them off the top of my head.

13. MrTeal

MrTeal Minimodder

Obviously cooling will be diminished, but if I was to buy this case I wouldn't be that worried about the cooling.
    Also, isn't one of the main selling points of the Air Penetrators fans is their ability to push air further and more forcefully than other fans, including when travelling through harddrive cages?

Frankly if I already had a mATX motherboard and had known that the heatsink I have (Silverstone NT06-E) had fit then I would have bought this case, but like I said there has not been sufficient discussion of what size and shape of heatsinks will fit in this case when 3.5" HDDs are installed in the HDD cage.
    I'm also not willing to go out and buy 2.5" HDDs or SSDs.

14. longweight

They are great fans but if the HDD's reduce the air flow by 75% then that would apply to all intake fans.

Good point about the size of the heatsinks though.

15. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

i must say this case intrigues me, i had the original tj08 and though it was a very good case, fantastic cooling for its size and very quiet as-well.
    may just plump for one of these if i decide to reduce the size of my pc.

16. vince450

vince450 What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking about getting this case. Down sizing from a fractal r3. I'm just worried about the HDDs reducing the air flow.

17. longweight

How many do you have?

18. leslie

leslie Just me!

If I had an Matx board, I would be replacing my Antec 300 with this right now.

Very smart layout, glad to see companies coming to the conclusion that we don't need tons of drive bays. Many don't use DVD drives anymore (I don't), we are moving to ssd, but even in terms of hard disks, how many of us really need more than a few bays? With drives reaching 3TB, with huge drives selling for very little, how many drives do most people really need?

I suspect/hope this sort of design takes hold, it's much more space efficient.

As for those discussing the fan, it's an unobstructed 180mm fan. Penetrator or not, a fan that size is going to push some air through. Blowing straight onto the CPU with no drives in front, gee, I wonder why it ran so cool. The Penetrator may be helping, but I would bet this case cools the cpu well regardless. My server has something somewhat similar with a 140mm blowing straight into the cpu heat sink and it keeps it cool enough to not need any other fan in the system.

19. longweight

It's not unobstructed though if you have a full HDD cage.

I love the cooling design on this and really, really want one! Could sell my FT02 but I don't think this case will handle SLI as well as my FT02 when I upgrade in a year or so.

20. longweight

Also why did you not use a current generation processor? Surely 90% of builds will be using either an i5 2500K or i7 2600k and it would have been interesting to see the temps a current chip gave.

Tags: Add Tags