1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows SimCity

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WhiteKnight226, 7 Jan 2013.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

To be honest, I reserve my judgement as to what EA do next. At the moment this is a good base for a game, but it needs more stuff like bigger areas, more transport options (such as subway, monorail etc). If this stuff is going to come as expensive DLC then forget it as for the price (and the legacy) it should have this anyway.

I don't exactly regret buying it, but I am disappointed as to the content on release. I can't see me playing it much as the small area to build basically means you have to follow the same strategy every time more or less.

If I were you, I would wait a bit and see what EA do to improve the game, and if it's going to cost cash money or not!

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Good points Jedra, thanks for that, might be worth while waiting like you say to see what updates or ideas they have

Cheers

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Buses and streetars, any form of mass transport will get them moving for you

4. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

I am playing with a two city region (well 3 but not claimed 3rd yet) with one city providing energy to the other with a pretty big surplus.....occasionally I get the message that "town name" has stopped sending electricity. When I go to check it out there is still loads left I assume that when it says that I have lost connection to the servers?

I have noticed a minor graphical glitch with the expo centre, its base seems to bleed under roads, not a big deal but looks messy.....could be due to the proximity to the beach and less even land though I guess.

Really enjoying it so far, here is my city not fully developed yet though....took ages to get any high rise development:

[​IMG]

5. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I cant stop playing.. Despite having a huge backlog if work that I should be doing. I feel like its a practice / trial for SC4 as it is way more simple. However, its great fun. Only. Real issue so far is that i sent a gift of cash to another of my cities and it never turned up, and i cant restart a city.

6. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

It takes time to send a gift, you have the play as the sending city for a while and then switch. I was playing as the receiving city and thinking "What the hell...." but it arrived after 10 mins or so.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

ive enjoyed what ive played so far. Dont think the space will be the issue people seem to think it is.

if your playing solo you can set up to 7-10 different cities in a region and that will take more time than most have likely got to invest.

I expect the game to go like the sims 3 has constant extra expansion packs.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Forget the internet rage, it's a very good game. The servers are massively improved since launch, I reckon from next week onwards it'll be totally fine at all times. Yes the cities are smaller, but the region play is where the complexity comes in.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I caved! All the beautiful cities in this thread forced me.....

Two things helped sway me decision:

1. Ability to buy form Nepalese Origin for £18
    2. The fact that anyone who activates their copy before 18/03/13 potentially gets a free game.

EDIT: I am now being punished for the above as I cannot login to any servers.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2013
  11. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

How does this match up to Cities XL? I already have that and enjoy going back to it now and again. Its quite fun. Sorry if this is already mentioned... didn't read the full thread.

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Nothing to do with where you bought this i hope, i am buying it this afternoon from the same place!!!

13. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I played 2 hours last night. But because the server i was connected to is busy today i cant resume my game anr have have had to start again or not play. How on this earth can they have thought this was a good way of doing things!!!!

14. suragh

suragh Derp

Expo (Or any profitable tourist attraction) = Epic Profit. Make sure you have enough power for the building & that there are sufficient methods of transportation before you plop one.

15. Parge

Nope, I'm in now! Its fine! GO GO GO!

Oh and the game (when you can actually play) is AWESOME!

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I made the stupid mistake of building a city up over my oil source and having to demolish it all. That killed it!

17. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Yeah I did the same thing.

18. suragh

suragh Derp

Its a bugger yes. From now on I always check which way the wind is blowing and what sources of materials are where.

19. Parge

How can you tell?

20. suragh

suragh Derp

On the bottom right corner of your UI theres an icon (below the remove object tool) and it opens up a submenu that shows the data of your city. It contains a variety of things such as Sims happniess levels, Air/Ground pollution and material hotspots.

When you click on the Wind direction icon, an array of arrows go in a direction the wind is blowing.

As for oil/coal etc, as they turn darker in colour you will get maximum effiency from the oil/coal business you set up.

Here is a brilliant guide in starting out your own city. Link