1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. scooby

scooby Minimodder

I'm doing a step-by-step for everybody about adding textures...just give me a few and I'll have it up shortly.

2. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Hey Beast, here is a link to the file you need. 7th post down by Fletch. Download the "Attachments". That should work for you.

http://www.sketchucation.com/scf/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2035&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

Hey RaVeN, first of all welcome to the forum.

Now about Textures, textures are only as accurate as the original is, the better the quality the better the texture reproduced in SU. Like matrixops said you can do your editing, sizing, color corrections, skew, rotate and all that on image editing program like Photoshop. Their are many ways of doing this, that said I'll try to explain a step by step of how I bring in and edit texture for SU.

NOTE: For this we will add a texture for a motherboard. Also this will be a step-by-step that everyone can use.

1. Create your triangle in this case an ATX mobo is 9-5/8"x12". In the image below you notice the triangle is a blue color indicating the wrong face in Monochrome view. Right click and "Reverse Faces" will fix this.

[​IMG]

2. Go to File>Import and select the image you want to use. I usually pin it from the lower left corner and ending at the top right corner. If your image is cropped to the same size as your triangle it should fit perfectly. Now more often that may not be the case, so it comes down to give or take and getting it as close as possible.

[​IMG]

TIP: Most of the time your image will import as a “GROUP” image (in this stage that is why your image is dark when rotating). Right click and “Explode” the selected group.

To fine tune your image, select your image in the “Material” window and click “Edit” you will see this.

[​IMG]

You can adjust the images weigh and height here.

[​IMG]

That should be it, like I said before this is only one way of doing this, I’m sure the other guys here have other techniques that accomplish the same out come, and you guys are welcome to add your $0.02 on this too.

Here is my finished model of a ASUS Crosshair Motherboard...and this was my first motherboard I did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you want to see what I did on this model download it from Jez's site.

I hope this help you. If you still have question just ask…no prob!!!:thumb:

3. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

you have to be a members to download that and there not letting new member join

4. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Hi there anyone got the Mountain Mods U2-UFO Horizon case as a TurboCAD or sketchup or Solidworks file to scale?

Thanks

5. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Check Jez's site for all your needs at the link below, their are four of them to choose from all done by Mr. Marci.

http://scc.jezmckean.com/cat/53

You can find other computer components their too.

Scoob:)

6. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

It's really great seeing you guys model this well in Sketchup. :) Can't even imagine myself modeling anything this detailed with sketchup...

7. Marci

Marci Ex-O-CuK / ThermoChill

Just downloaded it here, and no corruption - all works fine. Issue isn't with the file itself or the server. What is giving you the "corrupt file" message? Sketchup? Browser? WinZip? Winrar?

8. The_Beast

I'll try again later today

9. The_Beast

Ok it works now, it looks great

I'll have to try it rendering tomorrow
    Thanks a ton :thumb:

10. scooby

scooby Minimodder

:clap::clap:HAPPY THANKSGIVING:rock::rock: to all you bit-techers and to our SU gang!!!!

I'm roasting a pig to feed the family all day then game all day long.

Hope you guys eat alot, have a safe Thanksgiving to you and your families.

Scoob:D

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sounds like my kind of party (although the pig might disagree). :D Enjoy!

12. The_Beast

I rendered that pump again and messed up again :( , I didn't set the background up right

Here it is anyways
    [​IMG]

And I rendered my av. too (they don't need to be that big)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Mysterae

Mysterae What's a Dremel?

How I used Sketchup

Long time no post. Thought I would drop by the forum after reading the modding article on the front page and acknowledge the benefits of Sketchup.

Here's some designs of my case build.

An old design, I took out the side crossflow fans as they turned out to be too noisy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With normal fans in place:
    [​IMG]

How the case turned out, pretty much to plan:

[​IMG]

I adopted a 6 loop parallel water cooling system, and that required a custom reservior and distributor (only the reservior is shown here):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And how it turned out:
    [​IMG]

I'll add an entry into the pimping thread, but if you want to see more head over to my worklog here.

If it weren't for Sketchup, my build wouldn't have been possible!

14. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

OMG, Amazing Mod(ll)ing!

15. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Awesome work Mysterae, I think SU is a must use app when designing a case mod. It cuts out all the guess work like if this will fit here or their and the overall design work will benefit because you know how much material you will need at the get go and your planning on this project Mysterae is a great example of this.

Keep us posted on your future project bro.:thumb:

16. Mysterae

Mysterae What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys. I totally agree on what you say scooby. The only problem I had was reworking parts that I couldn't make myself into a format others could use. For instance, I didn't have the hardware to make the reservior so I had machine shop do it for me, and that meant flat drawings. But it was all fun.

I really want to make something else now!

17. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

WIP shots for Project Z1X:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have some components that I can upload to the collection once I get them tidied up, including:

-Silverstone Temjin-06 Chassis
    -Selection of 3/8" and 10/8mm barb models
    -Various waterblock models from DD, EK, Swiftech and D-Tek

I'm just waiting on my RMA'd motherboard to get my main rig up and running again, as the system I'm using at the moment isn't really Sketchup-capable.

There's a tutorial by someone else on the forum how to do nice WC-tubing in Sketchup, but I think it sank through the forum quickly and a lot of people don't know the method, so I included my own version of the method as a tutorial within my project log:
    --Sketchup WC-Tubing Tutorial--
    Credit to the original author (whose name I don't know, sorry :( ) for the method!

Hope someone finds that helpful. :)

Last edited: 24 Nov 2007
  18. scooby

scooby Minimodder

@Mysterae, you can save the file to .dwg as a AutoCad file that can be converted for use at a machine shop. I had a friend do this and he worked with the machine shop guys and was able to use the file. I'm not sure how it will work with a full 3D file as the one my friend did was for a laser/water cutter and was just a 2D SU file saved as a .dwg file.

Keep up the great work my friend and please keep us posted on your next project.

@Zurechial, Please give us a link to your worklog so we may follow your interesting build which BTW is looking very BADA$$!!! A little tip when posting a pic of your SU model; When coloring is concerned and for the sake of seeing the great details you have done try to stay away from using Black. Dark Gray works but I would lighten it up just a tad.

Again this is just a suggestion for posting images of you SU image file.

The link to your tutorial has nothing to do with making a tube in SU. It seens to be about being "ripped off". Anyways I was the one who did the tubining tutorial and you can fine it HERE post #1449. If you don't mind Zurechial can you post a new link to your tutorial so everyone can also use it. TY:thumb:

If you check Jez's site HERE you can see what blocks have already been made and what you can add to the collection.

Can't wait to see them.:thumb:

19. scooby

scooby Minimodder

It is great to see some of you guys coming out of the woodworks and sharing your SU models with us all, but the best part is that you’re using SU to create your dream machines. Maybe with all the components that we have collected in Jez's site so far let us see if you guys can create your dream machine (fantasy or WIP) in SU. Let us see your creativity and talents in SU to produce your MEAN DREAM MACHINE. Who know, maybe a case manufacturer like CoolerMaster, Silverstone or Lian-Li can be watching this and we could have a case designer in the family.:naughty:

Added to the collection:

Delta EFB0812LE 80x38mm Triple Blade
    [​IMG]

Delta EFB1212SHE 120x38mm Triple Blade
    [​IMG]

Scooby:thumb:

Jez should have them up in a few days. TY Jez

20. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Mysterae, that reservoir/distributor system you have is amazing. That's some quality design and execution right there.

I think you're referring to the quick tutorial I wrote up a few months ago, here.