1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I havn't done a SU drawing in a long time, I just havn't had time

BTW I'm working on a Buggy in Inventor, I'll try to get screenshots soon

2. marcus000

marcus000 Watercooling Mad

Right is there a way to make scale drawing easier or is it basically just lookin at the dimensions in the botton right corner when drawing a line?

I.e. is there not a way I can tell SU how long I want somethin to be instead of having to drag it to the correct size?

3. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Marcus, to scale exactly:
    1. Determine the final desired size.
    2. Find out the current size.
    3. Divide (1) by (2).
    4. Scale by result.

I think that's what you were looking for.

4. marcus000

Na I want to be able to click on a line and tell it how long I want it to be, instead of having to drag it to the correct size.

That make sense?

5. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

you just have to point the start and the direction then you simply type the length and press enter , I think that's what you mean ?

Last edited: 31 Dec 2007
  6. marcus000

lol I thought there must have been a way to do it, I assumed there would be a box to type it into!

TJ07 in progress.

7. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

there is no way to do that I believe.

8. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Well guys it is an hour in to 2008 in my part you the world so let me be the first to say....

HAPPY 2008 EVERYONE!!!!

Boy I have a feeling I;m going to wake up late today.:naughty:

@marcus000, their is a way to do that (if I'm following you right) in the lowwer righthand side you'll see that box marked "Lengh" it called "VCB" -Value Control Box. It is very useful when you really want to get down to the milimeter.

Select you "Line Tool" or any of the draw tools for that matter, and click once to start your line in the direction you need to to go, them in the "VCB" type in the value you want then hit enter. If the value was 24mm you should have a line 24mm long now on you page. Very easy to do, this also works with the "Tape Measure Tool" as well.

Can't wait to see your TJ07.:thumb:

Okay, for 2008 I when out with a BANG!!! I did this model awhile back and want to just share it with you all...hope you like it.

Introducing the R.A.T. Remote Assult Tank....cool name huh!!!:naughty:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would love to use this in Unreal Tournament III.:thumb:

Scoob:p

9. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

very nice !!! !!
    same question as last time, how many edges does it have (than I can see how complicated it is) ?

10. scooby

scooby Minimodder

Thanks, this one only has 327,839 edges and 130,757 faces small compared to my mech.;)

11. Aterius Gmork

:O Incredible! Wow! Really nice! ;)

12. zelox991

zelox991 Wanna-Be-Modder

Hi Guys! XD
    I've got a question for u.
    i was doing stuffs in my sketchup, and got stuck on making a spring...HOW DO U DO IT.
    I think i saw a video on how to make one. but the spring dosen't comeout the way it is in real life.
    Then i went to google 3d warehouse, found a perfect spring, but cannot model it myself.
    Is there anyone who can..maybe give some pointers?? XD
    Thx

Heres the not-so-perfect spring i was talking about.http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=7e80d88158751f093b81562188c8c84d&prevstart=0
    and here's the perfect spring http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=e8891e76858a2a4b6fa3ef67a69ab460&prevstart=0

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

my school installed the new Autodesk and there was a problem so I couldn't get pics of my buggy :(

14. Noswal

Noswal What's a Dremel?

Scooby, nice R.A.T. How long did that take?

And can someone fix the link to the SN25P?

-Noswal

15. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

I have four submissions which I've not reviewed yet, but will do soon.

I believe there's a plugin that will help you, but you may have to pay for it.

16. zelox991

zelox991 Wanna-Be-Modder

Oh...i c
    but i think i have found a way to do it perfectly without any plugin or so over HERE

if u guys wanna see it i'll post how i did it!:naughty:

i made this one hecka complicated spring that only 5 coils/loops and it's taking up 14MB... :O

Last edited: 4 Jan 2008
  17. Aterius Gmork

how did you do it?

18. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

yeah, how?

19. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

I plan on using a SilverStone NT06 for my next build so I decided to model it. The transitions for the heatpipes as they head underneath the bottom fin array were a pain.

[​IMG]

20. zelox991

zelox991 Wanna-Be-Modder

How To Make A Perfect Spring In SketchUp

Ok for you guys' request, I’ve decided to put up a tutorial on how to make a perfect spring.
    You just might need it for your next project!:hehe:
    Sry for the pict that they are not to scale because i took the screeshot in 16:10 then resized it to 800x600...sry!

So....HERE WE GO~!

Step 1

You see...every circle in SketchUp is just made up of line segments that are equal in length and connected together, the segments are equally rotated relative to the one next to it so the whole thing appears or be a circle.:hip:
    Last night, I’ve tried several ways to make a circle and finally came up with this most effective way to correctly generate enough edges without the hassle of doing them one by one.
    Decide on how many of the small edges you want in one cycle/loop of the spring. (i know it's a little confusing right now, but you'll see)
    I have decided on giving each segment a rotation of 5 degrees, there are 360 degrees in a circle, so i just divide 360 by 5 and get 72 segments.
    First you select the polygon tool, it has a triangle shape on it.
    [​IMG]

the type in the number of edges you want, and then follow it by a "s"
    so mine was 72s
    [​IMG]

now offset it.
    [​IMG]

select the inner circle, then select the move tool, hold shift key, then move the inner circle in the blue axis and then stop where you want it.(if you know trig, most of you probably do, you can calculate the exact amont of distance you should move to achieve a perfect angle,but another way is to use protractor and just draw a guide, however, i'll just do a random guess over here.)
    [​IMG]

Step 2
    After having done the steps above, delete the top and bottom circles, you get something like this.
    [​IMG]

Now you have all the segments all by themselves, just connect each segments end to end! IT'S A LONG STEP!:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Almost there!
    [​IMG]

Phew! Done.
    [​IMG]

Step 3
    So we have finished one loop of the spring, we just need to draw a circle and it's gonna be easy. Right? Wrong!:duh:
    Because the segments are elevated, to make a spring that doesn't look distorted, we have to make sure the circle will be eactly perpendicular for both axis.
    so here is what i've done, you could've done different, but i find this the most accurate.
    use the Protractor and make two guide lines perpedicular to the last segment.
    [​IMG]

Then copy the segment two times over to one side, the ends should be touching the guide lines.
    [​IMG]

Now just draw a rectangle, pull it up( or push it down), the use the surface as a platform. click the circle tool, hover it over the side of the box,the press Shift key and hold it, now make a circle with the center touching the end of the segment. HERE.
    [​IMG]

Step 4
    So the last step........
    Copy the line/swirl several times up or down the original swirl, select the whole line, and then use the follow me tool to creat the spring!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smooth it out.
    [​IMG]

After having done that, you can see there are stil some lines not smoothed out.
    just use eraser+control to smooth them out...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

finally, apply some texture to make it look REAL!:naughty:
    [​IMG]

Step 5
    Celebrate!!!!!!!!:rock::rock::rock:

Ok here's a glimse of the spring i made with 120 sides, and the circle that followed the line had 100 sides!!!:jawdrop:
    [​IMG]
    HEHE! look at the edges and faces! It took my e6550 10 min to process and took 14 MB!

Last edited: 5 Jan 2008