1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Slow speed on my network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by decebal_12000, 31 Mar 2013.

1. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

My network is formed of a wireless router TalkTalk Huawei HG523 Router and wireless adapters. I try to transfer files between the Pcs and my NAS HDD but the speed is too slow and I mean about 1.8MB the maximum speed.Does anyone know the reason why I cannot transfer files with a better speed?

Thank you!

2. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

It is likely that the radio signal range from your router to one of your wireless adapters is so low as to limit the connection to around 15Mbit/s, which is 1.8MB/s. If that is the case, then there is nearly nothing you can do to fix it while keeping the wireless connection, but I would recommend wired Ethernet around the house anyway.

3. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Go Wired.

Wireless is fine for a laptop->router set up (at least in most houses in my experience)
    You start getting a family involved with wireless and you start chewing up your bandwidth internally, unless you have a powerful mimo 300mb/s router/adaptor.

Cabling is cheap, not so messy if you plan it out first and provides a decent transfer rate.

I've recently rewired my house for gigabit networking, and would suggest it to anyone.

You could try some powerline adaptors, they are more expensive than just cabling but saves you the hassle.

4. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

In case you go for powerlines ive just bought a pair of 200's from Amazon for £20. Theyre great for streaming HD content so should be fine for your application.

5. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

That I suspected too!! I have to invest in some good powerlines to sort out everything. Too many mobile phones and one of them must hold me back.

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

The wireless equipment your get for free from your ISP is rubbish. With wireless routers, you get exactly what you pay for.

A £100 or so DrayTek router is good for home use. Businesses use stuff like Aerohive; the most basic model is £400 or so.

Wired is a lot cheaper, but you lose the benefits of wireless. Poweline adapters quickly get more expensive than a good wireless router as you have to add a new adapter for every device you want to connect to the network. Additionally, unlike IEEE 802.11 wireless, powerline is not standardized. You're stuck with a single manufacturer forever, unless you change all your adapters.

Either way, for heavy file transfers, wired is the way to go.

7. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

You could try pinging between computers to see response times and if you are losing packets.

Try ping -t [Ip address of other machine]
    Use ctrl+c to stop it after a while.

If you are losing packets you can try changing the broadcast channel, if you do set it at least 3 channels from where you are now. Try ping again, see if it helped at all.