1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding small cold cathodes @ Maplin?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by LaPPe, 29 Jan 2002.

1. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

There is only one manufacturer of CC, that is Velleman. As for discontinuing, well that is the buyers decision and that can be influenced. They are a good line, at our store alone we have sold over a grands worth of the things.

What would you reaction be to Mappers increasing the price to cover better packaging?

2. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

well last time i checked i beleive they were £5 ruffly..

now from say the Oc Store they are ....£34 +vat

i would be willing to pay £10-15 for a decent pacakged one from mappers. £10 for pick up, £15 mail order.

so fly are they still doing them, what part code

3. Fly

As I say, the decision is the buyers', but it can be influenced. I have not spoken to him, but I intend to soon. I'll keep you posted.

4. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

or look for an alternative source---velleman are based in germany?--with a uk outlet---which i presume we cannot buy from direct?--any1 tried?--I can get decent cc's(from the same source as pcmods) but are more expensive than the vellemans ones as they are made in the US--then shipped -- i can do em cheaper than the UK stores can over here--but i need ppl to show a vote of hands --as i don't want to end up with 300 cc tubes sitting in my living room:p--albeit if i plugged em all in at xmas it would look pretty hehe--i think we are flogging a dead horse with maplins at the moment :/

5. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

im gonna ring the Notts supa-store, do you have the part codes, coz notts is very unhelpful.

As soon as ya say cathode tubes, they deny they exst, but maybe if i try to give them a prt code instead ?? :confused:

6. Fly

RP33 blue
    RP34 black
    RP35 Pink i think
    RP36 Green i think
    RP37 White
    RP38 Yellow
    RP39 Inverter

7. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

i have tried these codes--all disconn i went into mappers inkingston and checked--no sorry m8--all have been disconn'd, then spoke to julie summit at the head office in the tech dept--nope we have discoon'd them---give it up ppl---there is no way we are gunna get any more (fresh stock ) from Maplins.....

8. Fly

Bear with me Jordanis, if enough peeps want them they will consider getting the back in stock...

9. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

hehe just sending a tester email to velleman direct to see if we can get them even cheaper:))))))

10. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Jordanis3r,

It seems to me that you are having a go at FLY for the stock problems, he is only helping from his view point.

If you have phone and mappers have told you they have discontinued them, you dont have to tell fly in EVERY post ou make.

He is the mappers insider for Bit-tech, so if he can show enuff POSITIVE comments from this board for ppl wanting the CCT to come back into stock he will help.

You saying you can get the cheaper and out sell maplins wont help.

At the end of the day, fly is just doing his job, (which happen to include working at mappers), and he cant be held accountable for every mappers branch, as he only works in one.

If they are in stock from his store, why not phone that store and mail order from there, if they refuse im sure fly can sort summit out for ya.

Thanks fly, phoned notts with those codes, they only have invertors and black light (UV) and yellow in ATM but they informed me to advance stock coming in by feb 26

11. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

LOL jordanis3r pimping away

12. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

GRRRRR at pimps,

i mean Phoenix works for CCM and even he doenst come in pimping his CCT.

(hinds stash of free CCT from phoenix) :D

13. Fly

thanks for your support cypher

14. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

thats no prob m8, i take it those mappers vouchers are in the post ;)

15. Fly

Bit of an update...

The 24" one (NA67) will be £14.99, down from £24.99 as of sunday.

16. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

right--yes i am pimpin mehself---and why not?(apart from 2hrs+down the pub esp during work!)

had some really interesting conversations with velleman this morn--both email and phone:/

it seems like CCM are a dist for velleman - maplins cc = 7 quid
    ccm cc = like 25 quid at huge markup???

whats the deal here--i can get em cheaper from the US than in the uk---this really sux--i am in neg to see if i can get them from holland at maplins prices:/

i understand that ccm need to make a profit -- but at like 150% markup--cmon ppl---me for one is not really readyto pay that sort o markup:/

i am not going to slate ccm as i have bought stuff there b4 and got great service an kit--but at that sort of markup i think is unacceptable--

if i bought a load from the US the prices quoted earlier are like 1 or 2 quid in my pocket---so fair enuff up to u guys--i am only tryin to help---as it is the community as a whole that benefits--

17. Fly

Trust me when I say that the Markup is bigger than 150%, I have seen the cost price of these and cannot divulge it, it is surprising though. Maplin do make a profit selling them at £4.99, but can't affod to lose dozens through breakages. Thats why I asked if peeps would mind spending a little more for well packaged ones.

EDIT > 500 Posts.. nice

18. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

hehe i will 2nd u on that fly---i would'nt mind payin like a tenner to 15 quid---but 25?==i can gewt them cheaper in the US--if any one else is a virt hideout forum member it would b easy to find out why----maplins could so wrap up this corner of the market easily----btw which store du work in fly?

19. Fly

I would rather not say m8 as some of the stuff I post is a a bit near the knuckle... It is close to Hammersmith though, no guesses please.

20. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I bought a couple of the mappers ones , and have to say they arent a patch on the pcmods ones , prehaps mappers should look at the pcmods ones and see what they can improve , the insulation on the psu and the tubing that the cc is in are just a couple of things , as well as the way that the pcmods ones are packaged .

Not gettin at you , just passing on a couple of suggestions :D I would be prepared to pay 15 odd squid if they were packaged better and the psu came preinsulated :)