1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays So I finally decided on a new monitor... Benq EW2420 (24" 1920x1080 A-MVA)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwired, 6 Apr 2011.

1. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

really cant decide between this and the dell after reading your review.

2. Seabrook

Seabrook What's a Dremel?

I'm in the same predicament.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Depends what you want.

MVA is like the cheap version of PVA.

MVA strength is the same as PVA where you have 0 back light bleeding on blacks.
    But, view angle is shorter than IPS panels, it's a slower than IPS panels, colors are usually not as good as IPS, and color shifts (but not as much as TN) at angles unlike IPS panels.

Note that MVA are usually cheaper than IPS panels, and that should be taking in considerations.

I would classify the MVA in the following order
    TN < MVA < IPS/PVA

I like to put PVA at the same level as IPS as both has equal number of strength and weaknesses.

MVA biggest strength is movies and many games. Usually input lag is a bit less than IPS panels, and blacks.. are well blacks (like good PVA's). Despite the usually slightly slower input lag of IPS panels, they are faster in term of response time, and show less ghosting.

If you have the budget, go with the Dell.
    Unless you are big movie buff, then a MVA is interesting due to the 0 back light bleeding on blacks.

4. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

So would the IPS be abit faster for gaming? gona be my main use for the monitor

5. GoodBytes

Yes,

Beside if you can afford the Dell, you get a better stand, one that is fully adjustable, and full matte.

6. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I can get it for £180... ordered :D

7. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

I've gone back to the Benq supplied stand already, it's much nicer to look at. I've decided portrait is too tall to use and I can live without the height adjustment, both things that my HP stand provides.

Funny how sometimes things you think are important beforehand don't matter that much in the end.

8. GoodBytes

Depends on your tablet height, and your height. Also it could be that you are used to an improper setup. Portrait mode is useful in web page design, document writing, and programming.

9. gem

gem noob

I got the Dell U2311H after following goodbite's posts and i don't regret it.
    It's cheap and waaaaayyyy superior than a TN monitor.
    As for the back light bleeding on blacks is really not an issue. It is only visible when you actually look a full black screen on a totally dark room, which is not the case when u are using a monitor.

10. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Just ordered it, hopefully dont have to wait the full 3 week eta for it to arrive.

Shame it doesnt have HDMI in so I can hook up my PS3 but I'll just get a blu-ray drive eventually

11. GoodBytes

You are right it has something better. Display Port. Display Port is backward compatible with HDMI and DVI with a really simple and inexpensive adapter.

Display Port is a great port. Technically speaking you can even carry USB 2/3 or wtv you want with Display port (and that is what Intel thunderbolt does. Itself + Display port, and now you have this universal port). That's the big advantage of that format. Heck you can even (if the monitor and graphic card supports it) Daisy chain several monitor from 1 plug on the graphic card. Frankly I am surprised that no manufacture uses that feature, especially graphic card ones, as they don't have to have all these extra ports (especially ATI EyeFinity cards), which blocks air flow.

To top things off, Display port has no royalty fees, so cables and monitors are cheaper.

So we can see that Display Port has a big bright future in the years to come... I guess it will take time before we see it's full implementations.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2011
  12. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Yea plus I can buy a mini-display port - display port adapter to use with my macbook pro for some software dev.

Really excited about it now

13. Seabrook

How did you manage that? Dell Small Business or student discount? If it's the latter I'm definitely getting on that!

14. GoodBytes

Nothing stops you from ordering from Small Business. You don't have to be one. If it makes you feel better, you can see, what I said, Family business, and voila. My guess is that he negotiated the price under Small Business.

15. Seabrook

Oh I just checked Dell's site and it's listed for £160 whereas on Scan.co.uk it's listed for £260... May have to try and haggle this Small Business discount as well. Cheers GoodBytes and the rest of you!

16. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

yea small buisness + quidco. small buisness is before vat tho

17. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

ETA : 12/05/10 :(

18. GoodBytes

Is that what Dell says on your order? Or on the product page?
    If it's in your order, don't worry about. Dell always plays it very safe. It's every rare that you'll get it this late. What I am guess is that if Dell system sees that it's stock is low, it sets a high date in the case they run out when it comes with your order, and have to wait for the next shipping. If not, then you still win. As you are sure to get the latest revision (if there is a newer revision) :)

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

very nice black levels there.

any backlight glow in a dark room?

now that i am used to the colours of my IPS, starting to notice the IPS glow...... especially when i shutdown computer and turn off the light, can see the glow very clearly as the monitor says "going to standby".

20. GoodBytes

They are virtually none, it's *VA panel. In reality you have back light on whites for *VA panels.. but it's very very difficult to see, especially if the monitor produces a nice white.

What ever panel you pick, you will have some downside. Best colors reproduction.. get a high-end PVA.. but then you'll complain about ghosting and input lag. MVA, you'll complain about view angle and color sift... IPS.. well what you are seeing now. Plasma, light affects pixels around it, not idea for text. CRT, thick, non adjustable stand, expensive, flicker more and more over time as the phosphor wears out. You can't win :(

Tags: