1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Socket 2011 Cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by healthhazad, 4 Mar 2012.

1. healthhazad

healthhazad What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I was wondering if those of you with a 2011 setup could chip in with what you are using to cool these SB-E chips?

I have already posted previously on the general build but am now looking specifically at the cooling required for a SB-E chip. I have seen some of the air coolers which are frankly insanely huge.

I had been considering a Corsair H80/100 but have heard mixed things about them.

The full on water cooling route would be new to me and so am a little unsure about it.

Initially I am just looking for something that will keep a stock 3930k as cool as poss while being quiet.

Looking forward to all your advice :)

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If your interested in water my thread (link in sig) is a great place to start :)

3. rollo

rollo Modder

H80 is fine for up to 4.4-4.5 ghz and if you replace the fans it's a decent enough cooler

H100 is nice enough just requires more space in case and instead of 2 new fans you need 4 for push pull.

Air coolers will depend on case you choose, they Can be difficult to fit by yourself is the main issue with the big air coolers, it's a much easier job with 2 people ( yes it's doable alone just a lot of outside case building, great if ya have a bench not so good if your doing it on your bed as most do)

Frio does the job if you can find it

Dark rock advanced otherwise, can't say I've used any other air cooler to reference

4. healthhazad

Thanks guys for the info so far.

I had in mind an Antec P280 case. I need to check whether the H100 will fit the 240mm exhaust area at the top.

How much difference does the 'push/pull' setup make as opposed to just going with a single bank of fans?

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

In my mind, the H80 would struggle with a 3930K at 4.4/4.5Ghz, but this ABSOLUTELY depends on your voltage. How lucky you are in the silicon lottery

If for instance you could get 1 chip that does 4.5Ghz that needs 1.50v to remain stable at that frequency, my 3930K needed lots of volts to do this, my 3960X on the other hand only needs 1.25v, which makes a MASSIVE difference in temps.

Basically I would say forgot about the H80 and H100, they are a pile of S**T, if you do really need one, for tall RAM or somethi8ng then I would suggest you swap out the stock fans for some Noctua, NF-F12's, although by the time you add these to the cost of the H100, your looking at a pretty good full on watercooling kit, which makes the H100 seem null and void in my opinion.

If you want something quiet, that will look allow you to push your CPU overclock at a latter date, Look at the NH-D14 or the Phanteks cooler, other than that it would be Custom waterloop. The Frio is also a pile of garbage in my opinion, Thermaltacky (Y)

6. H4wk1e

H4wk1e Minimodder

has anyone used the Dark rock advanced on a socket 2011 board?
    Whats the Ram clearance height like, guess low profile will be fine.

7. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

420 rad setup if you're serious. All depends on how eager you are to break the 4.6 barrier.

H80 is adequate for mild overclocking.

8. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

running a H80 here, and temps just over 30oC when doing usual windows things. Didnt ahve a problem isntalling it other than having to buy a 120>140mm fan a dapter

H80or h100 will be fine and is a good choice in my opinion if you want a nice easy install. If you can be bothered with all the faffing about go for a custom water loop.

9. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I had both a Dark Rock Pro and a Nochtua NH-D14, 2 of the biggest air coolers I know of, in my micro-atx case before I set up watercooling. Had about 10mm clearance to get my hands in and connect the fan to the header under it. I reckon having a second person would have made it harder :)

10. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

30c idle on a H80? Sounds optimistic, although depends on the CPU

11. healthhazad

I probably won't be overclocking this chip so the cooling would only have to handle its stock settings though I would like to keep it as cool as possible.

PQuiff - what sort of temps do you get when you load the CPU? Also is it a SB-E chip?

12. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

I went for a H100 cause I didnt want a massive cooler hanging off the motherboard and I didnt want to be messing around with a full water setup.

13. healthhazad

sparky - what sort of temps are you seeing?

Found a lot of people using the H100 but most are not using a SB-E chip, or at least the ones I have spoken to anyway.

14. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Go and speak to pookeyhead, he is the only person I know on the forums with a 3960X and a H100, and if i remember rightly he agrees with me :thumb:

15. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

:jawdrop:! :)

I have never been a fan for TT I have to admit, but having taken the plunge on these for the SR2, they have some serious cooling power and easily tame my 1200mhz overclock (that's a is 50% OC!) on the E5620's with ease (80w tdp), giving me sub 50 load temps... how they would handle a 2011 I don't know, but I would not rule them out.

Bennie :D

Guest-44432 likes this.
  16. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The Frio is a very capable cooler, but it's also rather large. (And obscenely loud if you dare kick those fans up.) The Thermalright Archon is an alternative, although remarkably expensive for the specifications, picking up an Antec Kuhler 920 may also be an option, as I've heard those perform better than things like the H80.

Beyond that; Most coolers are too large, so you're either forced to use low-profile memory, or it'll just obstruct memory sockets. The Noctua NH-C14 may be an idea, however, as the design should give you enough room to fit memory modules underneath it.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Remember your VRMs need some air either from your case or cooler.

18. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Not on a SB-E though!

Running Auto voltage at the mo as it isnt auto reducing for me at idle.
    Idle:

[​IMG]

Prime 95 Running - H100 on High
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope it helps

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It's crap. Mine is barely able to cool my OCed 3960X. Noisy too, so you'll need to spend even more on decent fans.

Go with a decent custom loop.

20. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I'm hoping that my Dark Rock Pro will fit on a RIVE. I bought it before S2011 was launched. I understand the hole spacing to be the same as S1366, just not sure what extra spacers etc will be needed (if I can't make it work, I'll swap it with the Moctua NH-D14 that's currently cooling my Llano build, which is of course high-end for that platform, and has turned out to be perfectly capable for browsing and general office type work).. Once I've tested a few thermal compounds on it with an air cooler, I have a Swiftech Apogee HD on it's way to me for long term use.

I just hope I didn't need a major mod to use the air coolers I have :)