1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Solid-state disk capacities set to soar

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 5 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Any word on expected lifetime for these drives?

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i wouldnt say no to something close to 80gb

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

mmm solid state passive cooled PC, just need to remove sound from CD/DVDs now :)

btw ed needs to learn vb tags :p

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

MTBF is quoted at 2,800,000 hours. :)

Just as well I can't find a stockist of the Samsung 64GB SSD. :D

All I need now is a stockist of one of these solutions so I can buy one. :)

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

just let me know when these bad boys are going to hit the shops bit-tech

7. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

SSDs already exceed normal drives in their life span. Current SSDs have a MTBF of 1,000,000hrs.

As soon as high capacities get cheaper we are going so see nothing but speed increases, since they are not mechanically limited like HDs. I get the feeling as soon as I go to buy one they will release a new one that is the same price but 30% faster or something. It will be interesting to see how fast they progress once they are selling well.

As soon as I can get a 32gb with 100+MB read for less that $100 I'm gonna jump on it.

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i would a 32gb drive to throw my games on as read speeds far exceed traditional drives load time should be drastically reduced

any chance of one of these before february?

9. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I'd love to replace all drives in my machine with SSDs, just to remove hdd oscillation noise. The problem with current SSDs is their price, they're stupidly expensive at the moment.

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

As long as: 500Gb-HD $ < 500Gb-SSD $

It is not going to be attractive to consumers.

But it is another story when: 500GB-HD $ <= 500Gb-SSD $

On the other hand a SSD is way better then anything a hd is made off:
    No moving parts
    Less heat
    No magnetic influences
    No wear
    Less parts
    Less power consumption
    Larger live-span estimate
    Cheaper in production
    Environment friendlier then HD's
    Less raw resources needed
    Faster access times
    Less space needed
    Space to grow in memory/storage sizes
    Space to read faster to/from memory

It really is a win/win situation. All it needs is to get into the consumer market and cheaper.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2007
  11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

uh i dont think so....

if SSD price drops even to a 2:1 ratio (2x HD = 1x SSD), these puppies will sell like hotcakes.

current price for 320Gb = ~$100.

would u pay $100 for a 160Gb SSD drive??

i would.

how about $150 for a 250Gb SSD drive?

oh please.... :)

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I suppose there is a bit of cost saving with SSDs because you don't need any redundancy. SSDs fail bit-by-bit, rather that the whole thing at once don't they? The fact that you could get away without "wasted" hard drive and expensive controllers could convince some people to swap.

13. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I've been thinking about building a blisteringly fast yet quiet SFF PC recently and was going to stick a laptop drive in it until SSDs become cheap enough to make them a viable option. Seems I won't be waiting as long as I thought now :).

<A88>

14. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I'm with Redbeaver on this one. I'd pay double the cost/GB if it would get me all the benefits of flash storage. I'd even pay 3x to replace my system drive, but at that price I'd probably hang on to magnetic storage for my data drive.

15. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

512GB SSD, YES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Would love to swap my current RAID array out with a bunch of these drives, be sooo much quieter, less heat, more speed, MOAR WIN :D

Its the hard drives in my pc that make the only noise now, with the rest being watercooled, i would love to remove the heat and noise form the pc, by swapping out the drives for these SSD's.

16. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Actually, that's rather faster than the majority of drives out there. Most modern magnetic drives can outperform this at the outer edge of the disk, but speeds fall dramatically as the disk fills - my current system drive, a 40GB, has an inner-edge write speed of under 40MB/s. The flash drive will have the same speed no matter how full it is. Additionally, the reduced latency of flash will make them feel faster for most people's uses. The latency also makes fragmentation irrelevant.

Personally, I'll feel a lot better when the only mechanical devices in my computer are the cooling fans. Now we just have to figure out how to get software distributed on flash so I can get rid of my optical drives - optical has all the drawbacks of magnetic, plus a few more issues. I wish we could use CompactFlash cards today like we used floppy drives 5-10 years ago.

EDIT: Does anyone else find it strange that while the fastest drive on the manufacturer's page is the 3.5", the highest-capacity drive is the smaller 2.5?" I suppose that's not all bad - I'd be just fine with the smaller form factor, if most desktop cases could provide mounting.

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

It's claimed speeds though crazybob, real speeds tend to be so much lower than claimed speeds, that chances are real hard disks are still faster.

18. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

512GB SSD; How much??? $20,000???

19. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

While I agree claimed speeds are often a little optimistic, they're usually not wildly inaccurate.
    I think current 3.5" HDDs still don't beat 100MB/s in sustained sequention transfers.
    That's at their best and as bob mentions, their inner edges are much slower.
    I think a suitable average would be around the 80MB/s mark.

Now Samsung's latest SDD (which I'm currently looking for a stockist of :() claims 100MB/s reads and 80MB/s write IIRC.
    Even if they were wildly optomistic that's probably still gonna be at least 80MB/s read and 60MB/s write.
    Now combine that with the fact that's the speed you get across the whole capacity of the drive, seek times of less than 1ms (meaning you don't have to worry about fragmentation nearly as much), very little heat, no noise, comparitively little power draw, no spin-up times and you can start to see why most of us are excited. :)

Just a shame about the cost but it looks like that'll be tumbling soon too.

Start bringing raid into the mix and we're gonna see great leaps forward in the storage area soon.
    And about time too! :)

20. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Don't forget no fragmentation. Shweeet.

Tags: Add Tags