1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Solid Works on Vista Ultimate x64

Discussion in 'Software' started by raxxo, 27 Jan 2008.

1. raxxo

raxxo What's a Dremel?

Hi lads
    I need to install Solid Works 2008 on my computer that runs Windows Vista Ultimate x64...

The problem is that SW08 doesn't support Vista x64...

Is there a way I can get around this problem?
    I've tried to install it with XP SP2 compatibility-mode but it still wont work. It starts to install but in the beginning the installation cancels and says I can't install it because I run an incompatible OS?!?

any solutions?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Some software use the registry to detect your OS. It sucks, the developers team that made the setup are incompetents and probably taking crack, as it require more coding and testing to use the registry way (several lines of code, depending on the language), then just ask Windows what OS are you (1 line of code))

Depending on the setup, if it is a .msc, you can use PowerArchiver (I don't know about Winzip) and open it with it, and grab the files.
    If they are zip/cab... files, try to extract those manually and grab the files.
    If you can't find any files... clear your Temp dir, run the setup, while it runs, look in the temp dir, and move the files somwhere else (so that teh setup doens't delete them), and extract the files yourself.

A good, well done application should auto-fix itself, by recreating the missing (if needed) registry keys. Infact a good application should not touch AT ALL the registry, except for file association. If that fails at this point.. tell me, and I'll put it on my black list book... it already had Adobe and Corel inside.

RANT:
    Adobe #1 in the list... as they can even make their own Adobe Reader work properly.. its slow when scrolling pages, and gets confused when you fast scroll with your mouse wheel... how come Foxit! (freeware, open source) does a WAAAAYYY better job.. and I don't get why Adobe After effects CS3 tell me that it cannot install (on my AMD Athlon XP 2500+) as I don't have 2 things SSE2 (WTF, it can't use something else, or not use it at all), and I don't have an Intel processor with a link on "learn[ing] about Intel Processors!" WTF ****ing discriminatory and advertising)

Tags: