1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Sony... How could you :(

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AndyDEL, 24 Aug 2009.

1. AndyDEL

AndyDEL What's a Dremel?

Firstly just to say.. I’m not a fanboy on any side, i have a 360, PS3 and Wii. I like them all for different reasons. The 360 i game on more though.

I’m a bit annoyed at Sony and am struggling to find a reason to keep my PS3.

I bought a Hong Kong import when it was first launched, had very high hopes for PS3 and wanted to own one as soon as possible. 2-3 weeks before European launch i sold it, ready for the UK version.

At the time i really loved my 360, but always thought that Sony would drive ahead like they did with the PS2. Mainly due to exclusives and that eventually developers would get to grips with the Cell processor.

It just doesn’t seem to be happening in the way i hoped...

For starts.. Microsoft had 5-7 million units sold when the PS3 was launched.. Instead of that lead diminishing (Like it did with dreamcast vs PS2)... The gap has widened.. To roughly 8 million units..

There is literally no big name exclusives you can get on PS3 that you can’t on 360.. Quite the opposite, games tend to come out on 360 first or at the very least the same time.. Not to mention the fact Microsoft got hold of very big titles such as Gears of War.. Ok you could argue games like Killzone 2.. But for me personally, it wasn’t in the same class as GoW in both SP and MP.

Bluray was a big plus for me... But now that bluray films have started to drop in price, so have the drives. So i have one in my Media Centre PC now.

This PS3 slim just seems like a bit of desperation to move some more units, as they started to decline a bit.. Even then the price is still too high for most to justify it over the 360, which in turn makes developers focus more time on 360.. Not to mention the nightmare Sony have had with Studios complaining about how hard development can be.

Online is still lacklustre when it comes to 360 and the XMB looks old and tired compared to Microsofts new interface.

I suppose in all. I’m frankly a bit pissed off that Sony have managed to cock it all up.. Leaving me, a once avid fan of Sony consoles (especially the PS1). Dissapointed..

2. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

I disagree. The reason Sony wasn't selling enough consoles is because it was $100 more than the regular 360 console. And, Sony was still taking a loss of over $100 on each console they sold.

Not only does the PS3 Slim create some interest in the PS3 again, it allows Sony to lower the price and shore up the cost of manufacturing it.

3. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

No games? wiki
    No big exclusive titles? Uncharted 1/2, MGS4, Killzone 2, Resistance 1/2, God of war 3, GT5, LBP, Infamous, Heavenly sword, Motorstorm.. the list goes on. If you don't like these games then your wasting your time, you may as well just sell it.

4. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

That's like saying the Family Guy movie is a straight-to-DVD exclusive. Yes, you get occasional bursts of fun, but at the end of it all, it's an hour and a half of scratching your ass and doing nothing except watching TV.

5. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Regardless of gameplay, its known as a video game not a movie. Perhaps its because I love movies though. The gameplay was fantastic also, lots of replay value.

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm the reverse of yourself, also had them all and ditched the 360, my reasons much the same as yourself, no real exclusives (of interest to me, before fanbois go wild) to keep the 360 in my lineup, the PS3 being my console of preference because it could take centre stage in my front room on the big screen as both my gaming and media centre.

Coming at it from a different viewpoint to yourself I could never see what Live brought to gaming apart from a fee I shouldn't have to pay, maybe it is because I'm a different type of gamer, coming from a PC background, to me Live and PSN did the same thing which was allow me to play games online with my friends, one cost me a packet which I admittedly paid for, for years, until I got my PS3 in fact, but when you cut it to its core in reality it offered nothing for its money that PC/PS3 didn't do for free, I've still not seen anything convince me otherwise, you pay for the games, you pay for the hardware, you pay for the infrastructure to run these networked machines on, why should you then have to pay to play these games that you've already paid a premium over say a PC to be able to play online, baffles me.

The harsh reality is that there isn't a lot to separate the two HD machines when it comes to gaming so you use the one you prefer, they each have their exclusives and they each have their alternatives to each others exclusives that are typically just as good as one another.

So for you, your PS3 collected dust, at least you got to use for it bluray, for me my 360 just sat there not being used at all, for anything, bit of Forza and PGR being my only reasons for switching it on.

I don't see that Sony have cocked anything up, the XMB is great, easy to use, only thing the OS lacks is folder support for media I have stored on the device, much rather store stuff in folders than create playlists but I guess that's personal preference.

Why is the Slim a move of desperation, they've got component count down, production costs down, size down, power consumption down, noise (of the already quiet machine) down and lowered the price for the consumer, that's a great bit of kit if you ask me.

A move of Desperation was more likely be said to be the fire sale that MS had to have to gain that little bit of market share, a third of the price and still couldn't romp away, plus they obviously couldn't afford it as they've had to put the price back up, trying to gain market share by price at the expense of everything, including hardware reliability sound desperate to me.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2009
  7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Don't see the problem. As long as they can solve the heat problems of the fat PS3. I mean those things were ovens.

8. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Heavenly Sword is worse, sure I was mashing buttons but I had literally no idea how they were correlating to what happened on screen.

MGS4, conversely, was absolutely brilliant, even if, yes, the cut scenes were a bit long at times.

9. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I've all but ditched my 360. I maybe have 4 games left out of a library of almost 20 (all traded in towards PS3 games). The only thing that keeps me playing it are the few friends that do not want a PS3, so these days, I rent (through gamefly) any 360 games I need (yes I say need) to play with those few friends online that ask me too. World at War was the last 360 purchase I've made. I have nothing against the console, but my PS3 is my preference. I will admit. Sony stumbled out the gate, but with the PS3 Slim, they seem to be trying to get back on track. They have a price reduction and a hardware revision that makes sense (honestly adding a HDD and keeping the same $400-$500 price point was getting stupid coming from Sony early on).

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

MGS4 - do you really need another reason to keep a PS3 lying around?

But seriously, I agree with Freedom810 that the PS3 has more than its fair share of exclusives andsystem sellers.

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i had MGS4 and sold it after the 4th cutscene. The story was, quite literally, impenetrable to a newcomer to the series, and the gameplay really wasn't worth the hassle. Uncharted, on the other hand, was a much better game.

12. stonedsurd

Ah, newcomer. Yes, in that case it can be somewhat... trying.

But I can't think of anyone who's played through the series and doesn't like it.

13. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

I just wonder if the slim will finally bring in full backwards compatability with PS2 games. If not, I have zero interest in it.

14. AndyDEL

AndyDEL What's a Dremel?

I struggle to see why people don’t see the playstation 3 as anything but a failure for Sony...

They had almost complete market dominance with the Playstation 2, you could own an Xbox but you’d still be left with having to play GTA a hell of allot later if you did. Everyone had a PS2.

Instead of stamping out Microsoft with the Playstation 3 and building even more on that market position, they have gone backwards. You can’t really blame the Wii either, since Xbox 360s sales growth has exceeded Playstation 3 even 2-3 years after it’s release.

Also regardless of price.. The dreamcast was far cheaper than the Playstation 2.. Yet never achieved what the Xbox 360 has..

As far as exclusives go. MGS had far too many cut scenes, things like Uncharted were great but still not a huge title. Not enough to convert someone the PS3 anyway.

Where is the playstation 3s gears of war or halo 3.. The ingame trailer of GoW from E3 made me buy a Xbox 360.. Not one game on Playstation 3 has created a huge amount of buzz like that.. With the exception of MGS ,which tbh, many people got frustrated with the cut scenes.

15. stonedsurd

I think I could take a stab at the reson.

Piracy. The PS3 can't be cracked while every other console out there can. Maybe that could be it.

16. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Just because you weren't that fond of Killzone 2 doesn't mean there wasn't a huge buzz about it.... there was.

Really though you seem to be more tuned into the Xbox 360 side of the media/gaming discussions so you're obviously going to miss alot of the hype and buzz about exclusives.

Uncharted 2 is one of the most anticipated games this year on PS3.

Gran Turismo 5 has got alot of buzz going for it lately too.

There's been alot of buzz for a fair few games/stuff on PS3:
    Little big planet (This alone made me get a PS3 when I already owned an xbox 360)
    Home
    Killzone 2
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Infamous

I'm just surprised anyone would want Sony to win 3 times, I think it was all going to their heads a bit much hence the initial troubles with the PS3 when it launched.

The PS3 is definately picking up steam now though and is getting plenty exclusives, some big some small.

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

hmmm this is true. tbh since getting mine i havent used it much as im mainly a pc gamer, but when i sit down to it its a genuinly entertaining experiance + i love the build quality. the piano black fits in perfectly with my Av setup.

18. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Come at me bro

there is no backwards compatibility with the slim. big minus in my book.

i want to get a PS3 for GT5 but thats all im really interested in atm. maybe little big planet and killzone aswell. i play mostly multiformat games anyway I think

PS3 definately seems to be picking up pace, I saw at the weekend on gamecentral PS3 versions of some multiformat titles were out selling the 360 version, which has rarely happened up until now

blu ray is a plus in the PS3, and the price drop.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2009
  19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I dont know about that, theres a strog rumour that sony are charging away with software emulation. for me tho my slim ps2 takes up no space on the shelf so it can stay there.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I struggle to see how its a failure, its cost them, sure, but it was a good Trojan horse for their other home entertainment departments too, lots of people could be found walking out of stores with some bluray, a HDTV and a PS3 at the same time, as a gaming device it perhaps hasn't had the full weight of titles as its competitor on release but being a year and a half behind would you expect it too, now its a much different story, the 'there's no games' excuse just doesn't wash. Its got plenty of games and lots of diversity.

The 360 has seen growth recently when they dropped the price otherwise both systems where tracking each other quite well.

Plenty of PS3 games had a lot of media buzz behind them, Reading in between the lines of your statements there you are essentially saying because Sony hasn't hyped the crap out of each game on its platform with big marketing budgets its not as good because its games haven't had the same media frenzy.

The PS3 has plenty of its own titles that may not have had the hype paid for in the same way but have got through on being a strong game, with good gameplay, which I might add often has a half decent story too which makes a change from a lot of titles.

PS3 pretty much has its shooter market covered with alternatives to Gears/Halo with stuff like Uncharted, MGS, Resistance, Killzone, Warhawk and SOCOM as well as all the multiplatform stuff which offer plenty of mix for owners, and there's even more coming, it doesn't need a Gears or Halo specifically, Sony does need to do the Marketing spin side of things though, the likes of which MS had done to its popular titles, that is the sort of thing that boosts the sales of shite games into the millions, deservedly or not, look at Assassins Creed. :lol: