1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony not cutting PS3 price in Europe

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 13 Jul 2007.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Perhaps not £400 for that resolution, but between £600 and £800 (which is still a saving with few games per year and a virtually unlimited back cataloge) I'm not trying to be a fan boy for either side PC/Consoles have their respective places and for one the PC place is not at 1920x1080 but more like 1280 x 800 But is stand by the fact that in 5 years any given console will be much like your PS2 an obsolete paper weight unlike that SKTA pc which is still a pretty decent box for doing any thing even low end gaming.

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

so no screen on the £425 computer then.... and no speakers......

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

And its a well known fact that the PS3 or 360 come with 52" LCD's

4. benjamyn

benjamyn What's a Dremel?

Correct. So unless your counting the PS3 as £1400 or something, its not really a fair comparison for price, unless we're talking Standard Def PS3 here :)

5. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

Actually a nice gaming pc can be made for around that price. Recently my sister got a core2 duo setup from dell for around 300 pounds found here. Sold the nice 19 inch monitor that came with it for 70. Just saw an 8800 gts in the bargain section here for 170. Thats just over 400 for a a dual core PC with a 8800gts.

6. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

OMG...wtf are you all getting so het up about?
    YES, Sony are being lame when it comes to EU pricing etc. Slapped wrists for them, but we're surely used to being shafted in this way by now?
    Though the PS3 is WAAAY out of my price range at the mo, I'm not sure it's necessarily overpriced, as such:

So... I bought my original PS2 when it first came out, and paid about £330 with some DVDs, a cheap 2nd controller and a game. This is when DVD players themselves cost about £200-£250, so it seemed like a fair enough deal at the time.
    As a reference point, I also bought a new 28" TV for £280 at the time, so the freakin' PS2 cost more than the TV!

A PS3 costs £399 now, with 2 official controllers and 2 games.
    Obviously, to take full advantage of it, a 1080p TV is required. (Only a complete moron would buy it for use on an SD TV)
    - That'll be another £800 investment then!

Basically, it's the cutting edge. Who the hell expects reasonable prices for the latest, most powerful stuff?
    - If you can afford a decent HiDef LCD/Plasma TV, then why complain about paying half that again for a PS3 (or whatever) that can actually make good use of that screen?

- Just how much is the cutting edge of PC graphics at the mo?
    An 8800 Ultra is like £350 for a graphics card. That's what I call unreasonable, ffs.

Things have moved on. Your Goodmans CRT TV no longer cuts it.
    Three choices:
    1> Coerce Mummy and Daddy into buying you the latest HDTV and PS3
    2> Save up for it
    3> Resign yourself to waiting for a price drop that won't come for another year, because you're too skint at the mo. (like me)

Whichever way you take it, get a grip.:wallbash:
    /end pi$hed rantings

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

^ Glad to see someone else share my view of justified pricing. (no sarcasm, btw)

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The rules are simple.

It must be capable of playing games but does not require a screen.

If I cannot play a game exactly the same on a PS3 and this PC then it is not fit for purpose. An OS must be used which can produce effects the same way legally (i.e. if the effects require DX10 then an operating system which can use DX10 officially must be used).

It must allow me to use it for other uses as well (like the PS3), have bluetooth, a memory card reader, a blu-ray or HD-DVD drive and wireless.

Input method is optional (i.e. keyboard and mouse are acceptable).

As for the price, in the UK the console has been £400 on it's own for a while, I've seen it at £425 but that's with a game and accessories.

You can go over budget, but (for people that say PCs are cheaper because they are upgradeable) you must take into account the cost of upgrading a PC after 10 years.

9. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Yeah. Europe gets screwed again.

The price cuts will eventually hit these shores. Until then I don't think there will be any significant effect on sales. People who want a PS3 will still buy it. People who think about specs and compare price drops to US are in the minority.

10. Regenesis

Regenesis What's a Dremel?

Why is it that Sony keeps on making such horrible business decisions? It sucks that Europeans are being shafted. Where's the fairness in that? Is their ego so big that they're too blind to see the distrust made with potential customers? How can people buy from a company that gives them the short end of the stick? So much lost profit. Unfortunately this is a loss on both ends. Hope you guys get compensated in some way for Sony's ludicrous antics.

11. DougEdey

The sole reason I haven't bought a PS3 yet is because I want my 360 to be a timed exclusive in my room

12. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Consoles require a smaller initial outlay, but if you buy a lot of games PC's wind up evenly priced or cheaper :

Taking Play.com for an example, its a rare PC game that launches at more than £24.99, while mid-range games often launch at £17.99 and they drop reasonably quickly (a lot of AAA games can be picked up for £9.99 or £14.99 within 6-9 months or so). Meanwhile 360 and PS3 games for the most part are costing £39.99, with the cheapest ones mostly launching at £29.99 and they aren't dropping much/at all. Wii ones sit somewhere in the middle at £34.99 - £24.99.

So, a PC compared to a 360/PS3, buying one new game per month for 3 years, saves £540 (£792 for mid-range games), giving us a PC budget or more like £750-£950 (£1,000-£1,250 for mid-range games).

If the PC user can stand to wait a little buying the games instead of rushing right out, can basically double that and anyone who buys games at a greater rate will save more, of course if you only buy a couple games a year, the console is hard to beat, but still I'm not sure you'd want to spend £400 if you only want to play a couple games ?

13. DougEdey

It's very very rare that I pay over £35 for a 360 game. Normally I pay £30 tops for a brand new release and I recently bought Rainbow 6 Vegas for £17.99

14. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

And you don't have to include a big or fast hard drive, no screen, hardly any cables, but for good measure you should probably invest in a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. But if you can, get one without any trimmings.. Literally the basic model with no extras at all.

15. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Sony Can Suck My Balls!!!

Microsoft 360 is the better of the 2 next gen, I have had red ring and laser failure on 2 consoles in 6 months, but the 3 year warranty makes all this seem ok somewhat..... The Wii looks like a better buy for a second machine in this instance....

If sony really think this is the way to treat the whole of europe then they are more stupid than I thought, firstly we wait too long for it to arrive on our shores, then we get a highly priced piece of kit with blue ray, when over the pond they are getting it for less even before the price cuts, then this we get to be the idiots (not me) who take the stock of crap controllers in bundles, while the american or japanese will be annouced a new better controller, along with a couple of the first batch of games (which to add insult will have NOT FOR RESALE on em I bet)....

I remember microsoft did this to me with the original xbox console, I payed £299 on release day, and insultingly a week later it dropped £100, and microsoft gave me a god afwul second duke (the worlds worst controller), and 2 microsoft studio games, I had bought PGR, and Halo at the time of console and was left with crap choices....

I really am in hope sony fail at this point.:wallbash:

16. DougEdey

One thing I didn't realise is that there hasn't been an official price drop on the 360 for over 600 days. Sony did 150 days~ I think, PS2 was 525 days.

17. sandys

sandys Multimodder

No because MS did exactly what Sony have done and added value via bundling but there were no sensationalist news posts then?

Ah well contributing in these posts has been fun at least I can get free postage on my new GPUs :lol:

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

No official price drop but places like boots like to sell the premo for £230 and the core fro £150 :)

Why dont we talk about MS f**king us and screwing us all over with games for windows forgeting people are still using XP. Means my 2 year old machine that cost £1,300 wont be able to play any new PC games and I have not bought any games on PC since HL2, DOOM 3, BF2, 2143. Games I want to play now are Games for windows which means I got to spend crap loads more money on a new PC and OS.

£280 for my 360 and I dont have to worry about upgrading or seeing a preview of new games out in the next year and dont even need to think or worry about if it will work. Same goes for the PS3, when I get one I know all games for it will work and will not cost me more money.

Therefore I see it value for Money.

Im married and can no longer spend hundreds of £'s on upgrading my PC to keep it Elite so that I can play the latest games. Now my gaming days are almost over for PC as I have new prioritys and responsibilities.

Console is now for me, like back in the good old days before I started working and buying my first PC. Cheaper to buy a £400 Console that has a 10 year life span than a £1K PC that has 1-2 years.

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Games for windows do run on XP afaik...

20. kempez

kempez modding again!

wow so I make a simple statement and ur all over me like a rash...hmm yes. Seeing as I can "take advantage of a PS3" as you put it that point just comes down to a personal insult, not that it surprises me of course. When it comes to consoles people do seem to get very upset if their favourite isn't someone else's cup of tea.

I have a gaming computer right now (well 2 actually) and it can definitely out-perform the PS3 in pretty much every department. Granted it didn't cost £400, but then hell it didn't cost me anything at all so....

I also did not say it was out of my budget, just that it is more than I reasonably expect to pay for either a console OR a high-def media player - and I will wait until the price comes down (and of course a game I actually want to play on it comes out) before even thinking about buying a PS3. I actually bought a 360 at release and yep it broke...then MS replaced it (FOC) and it's been fine since. So let's recap - I've been playing on my 360 for well over a year and a half and bought it at a cheaper price than the PS3 is now. I think the 360 is decent but if some games come out I actually want to play I am not discounting the PS3 won't also be a great console.

Well I'm glad to hear it :) aside from the Blu-Ray drive you can get a PC that plays games at 1280 x 1024 with some AA and good numbers for around £400, and you'll also be able to edit your photo's, have full use of downloading/web facilities from all websites, run pretty much any application/program you like, play the huge catalogue of PC games and do much more...which is a lot of value for money for your average person and gamer :) Hell just hit up www.dell.co.uk

Anyway in sum: the PS3 is a nice bit of kit, just over-priced right now and Sony have the worst marketing department in the entire world :duh:

Tags: Add Tags