1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Sound setup advice

Discussion in 'General' started by BentAnat, 31 May 2013.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

So this one is a bit random, so I figured that General is the best place to put this.

I have been tasked by a former (and if all goes to plan future) bandmate to explore options a bit.

Story is that we're starting up a band again, this time without the luxury of practicing in a studio (like we did the previous time). This means that some concessions need to be made in terms of volumes.

The drums are an electronic kit for starters, Amps will be line-out'ed into the mix and turned down. The loudest thing in the room will be the vocalist.
    Everyone will be jamming with headphones on for the sake of the neighbours not killing us.

now - the amps are fine. The drums we have, and the instruments are sorted.
    The question comes in with the mixing.
    All of the instruments will need to be pushed into a mixer of sorts, mixed there, and distributed to 4-5 people via Headphones/in-ear monitors.

So: 1 guitar, 1 drumkit, 2 mics (possibly 3), 1 Bass guitar, 1 keyboard. 4-5 headphones.
    I need equipment advice here.

Studio Headphones are obviously quite a must here. And preferably ones with neutral sound output (i.e. No Beats).
    The other one is finding a mixer that can handle what we're throwing at it and won't die/max out.
    A couple of years ago, we ran a bass through a Behringer PMX2000, and that with the vocals maxed the thing out BADLY (leading to the vocals disappearing in the mix, etc)

Any advice here?

2. October

October Mariachi Style

I remember seeing a device designed for just the kind of setup you're talking about, it was a circular type of thing with inputs and outputs the whole way round - designed to sit in the middle of a jam session and feed the whole band. No clue what it was called but perhaps someone else has a clue what I'm tlaking about!

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Budget?
    Do you want different mixes for each musician?
    Will you be recording & what to?

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Budget is (for now) not set.
    Obviously, "reasonable" applies (i.e. if the headphones DON'T cost a million bucks a pop, that's a good starting point, though I am not expecting them to cost nothing either).
    Right now, I simply don't know where to even start looking...

Will we be recording? Well, if it can, we might look into it, but for now the plan isn't that far.
    If we were to record, probably into a PC with some tools on it. ;)

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

9. jinq-sea

Good call - I'd not read the other posts properly, sorry. The JamHubs are good actually - just a bit more expensive.,..

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Hm... Like I said - I just got advised to look into JamHub, and they look good to me...
    Quite frankly, the vocalist is buying this, and the way I see it - if I can spend 700 quid on an amp, and about 1200 quit on a guitar, he can spend a few bob on this... :p

I am still looking around, and have been tasked to investigate the options.

11. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Ghetto duvets on the walls for soundproofing.

12. jinq-sea

Been there, done that :)

The last 'vocal booth' I had to cobble together was old shelving units, duvets, blankets and bits of office divider. It was boss.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

We're practicing in a bar. Alcohol, Pool Table, fridge, etc.
    since it's a house bar, and supposed to stay such, sound deadening is not on. Hence: Silent through electronics.