1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Star Citizen Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 21 Mar 2016.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

first, noice!

N17 dizzi likes this.
  3. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

"first", really, did you just get out of prison or something?
    I'd make a stab at replying to your other well compiled opinions but.....

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

greigaitken, that's a nod to what goes on at the RSI website; whenever they post something new someone writes "first" or "noice". A phenomena which has been going on for quite some time. I think kosch was trying to be ironic, and I did smile.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

When Rickr got stranded, he should have hit F12 to open chat & asked for a lift out.
    Then, he could have had the chance to man a turret for his chauffer.

TL;DR - Not every Star Citizen player is a "griefer".

6. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

Yeah I was speaking to a friend who also played the game and they explained this to me as well. But I think that stuff is great, I'm just interested to see how RSI will manage the player-to-player interactions on a larger scale.

7. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I just need to moan about the price for a second... if I am not gaming then I am moaning about prices.

8. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

nice write up, although surprised it completely skipped over the multi-crew aspect, and i think this kinda speaks to what SC is becoming, or intending to become - i dont recall many (any, atm) games that have had more than 2 pages for a review or preview, you've gone to a third, and that didnt even cover one of its big selling points to many people, which is in game today (still WIP obviously), let alone covered the stuff its doing but hasnt implemented yet, such as the procedural planets and direct space to planet surface landing, and eventually being able to go from waking in that bunk, jumping in a ship with friends, flying across multiple systems, flying down to its surface and walking around a city or undeveloped random area, and doing it all without seeing any loading screens, and having complete freedom to move around that ship at every single moment.

Its incredible, and maybe it'll take another 2-3 years to get it just right, and maybe it wont all be perfect when its released, but is this not what we want developers to be aiming for, trying to be bold and push boundaries in multiple areas, not just nudge the industry forward enough to imply their rehash is worth another £45 rrp for tweaking the last games assets slightly and offering little new or inspired?
    SC is doing what usually happens behind closed doors, is showing us the good and the bad, what it actually has in the form of playable live tech demonstrations (rather than selective highlight reel trailers), and interacting with its community like no other game has, IMO they're doing a bang up job and i wish more developers could be this free and open, rather than being beholden to their publisher overlords and their demands not the developers .

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Star Citizen will either define the genre or be a very big flop the expectations for it are beyond what's realistic even in just the posts on this page here.

You could write a 3 page review and not scratch the surface.

I still think it will be 2018 before the game is fully live at the earliest and maybe even 2020 before every single promised feature is put into the game.

10. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Tbh my biggest fear is that RSI won't perfect the mechanics before focussing on the details. They need to get the truly immersion breaking things out of the way before trying to add the icing. A good example of failing to do this IMO are both DayZ and the game it was spawned from, ARMA. They have so many little details, but everything feels jilted and disjointed, a mess IMO. SC is very much in this camp currently. I've played the recent demos and as stated in the preview piece, I didn't feel connected and actually part of things.

Now that can be corrected, but I've seen way too many instances where if the devs don't start from that position, they never get there. A game like Halo or the recent Far Cry titles nail this aspect IMO, there's solid feedback, you feel like you're there. SC could have the most detailed universe and opportunities, but if it doesn't succeed in this one area, IMO it's not very interesting to me as every few seconds I'll be pulled out of the immersion.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yup! It made me grin too!

12. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Bitten off more then they can chew. They'd have done better making 1 limited game, releasing that, then going onto to the next bit, making that and joining it to the rest. As it is they're working on everything at once, jumping around between different projects, finishing nothing and burning though cash at an alarming rate.

Start with wing cmder v2 with full multi and single player campaigns. Major release!
    Add multi player ships, pvp, etc. Minor release!
    Add first person so you can walk around your ship and do ship based fps combat, do the big fps battles in the SC version of a star destroyer. Major release!
    Add fps ev stuff for floating around. Minor release.
    Add planets, ships flying over them, docking at cities and walking around, etc.

Right now they'll never finish anything...

13. kosch

That was my intention! :)

14. graphitone

graphitone What's a Dremel?

^This. I got through all the missions in Far Cry 3 recently, and it was a good, immersive adventure while it lasted. Now the missions are all done, I've got an island sandbox to explore and it's an exceedingly dull and vacuous albeit pretty place. And that's just a few square miles of area to play around in. As and when RSI get around to creating planet surfaces, they'd better include a multitude of things to do, 'cos there's only so much 'ah, that's pretty' type of experiences that people are going to put up with before they get bored.

Unless I'm missing the point and their point is that it's interesting to visit places just to see what's there.

15. graphitone

graphitone What's a Dremel?

Also, is a joystick the best way to control this game?

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Sure you're not quoting Elite's release schedule by mistake? :eyebrow:

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's Elite's model...and it's garbage, especially because Frontier charge ridiculous sums for all those new features. The problem with trickling features like that is that you'll lose player interest early on, and they'll never come back to try out EVA'ing or multi-crew.

Yes, it's ambitious, but they've got the funding to do it. Now it's a matter of time.

18. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

^^ bang on about Elite: Chore.

Who knows if CIG will fully realize the dream, god knows is been a long road just to get to Mini PU stage but it is already shaping up to be so much more interactive and fun than Elite's current situation.

19. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Have given well over 100,000 euros to RSI and most likely will give well over another 100,000 euros.

The most important SIMULATION (never a mere game) to ever be made for the PC.

Additionally, you need to use a full HOTAS system to control your ship, and there should be an Oculus Rift on your head, if you REALLY want to understand what this is all about.

The minimum buy in for this Sim, is around 4,000 euros, for the rig, HOTAS and Oculus. I strongly recommend twice that.

Enjoy the show!

20. kosch

You must be minted! Fancy paying off my mortgage? :)

Tags: Add Tags