1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Star Wolves 3: Civil War Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 6 Mar 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Almost bought this couple of days ago since it was going cheap in Steam. Spared me some cash, thanks b-t!!

3. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Hooray for more rubbish space games. Looks like EVE still has the strategic side of space combat all sewn up, and Freelancer has the dogfighting all to it's self. How come such old games are still the best anyone's been able to do? I'd love to see a Freelance/EVE hybrid - strategy interface for capital ships, in-cockpit interface for fighters, big free-roaming world... it's not too much to ask, is it? If Star Wolves is anything to go by, it sure is too much to ask.

4. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

What you want is Allegiance from Microsoft, that use to be a 128 player game that was epic at LANs

5. Achilleas.k

Achilleas.k Minimodder

No it doesn't. That title belongs to FS2!

6. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

+1 to descet freespace 2

7. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

honestly? to me this review is rubish, been playing the game and you honestly didn't give it much of a try did ya?
    Oh people who're just used to voice-over games and quick-action... it's based on an RPG idea (as in, you play a Role, not a damned Hack & Slash like most people consider those to be) and like most older RPGs it has extensive conversations which in all honesty, give a very nice mood to the game environment...

unfortunatelly nowadays people seem to just adhere to playing games for blowing stuff up (which you still do) and not for an actual story-type entertainment... ah well... this review is the reviewer's point of view, don't stay off this game if you do like a challenge, and if you do the tutorials... you'll learn how to use the UI properly and be able to enjoy this lil game.

8. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

waiting for jumpgate:evolution

9. Kurkku

Kurkku What's a Dremel?

Its been a while since I've played Star Wolves but Star Wolves 1 was a pretty decent game and fun to play. But then the Star Wolves 2 went worse. Especially usability and voice acting (it wasn't great in the first one but you could listen to it). I havent tested the Star Wolves 3 yet, but I cant help it I still have to test it :)

10. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

SW1 was a great game, SW2 well that was pretty bad. Must admit I've only spent about 30 mins playing SW3 so far and its good to see they havent fired the bad voice actors or the crazy script writers. If you can just ingore the plot line, voice overs and other weird oddities its not a bad game :)

11. Absalom

Absalom What's a Dremel?

The writer of this review obviously only spent a few minutes playing even though he claims to have spent hours. This game's controls were pretty good. There were some quirks, like sometimes my fighters wouldn't cooperate until I reselected them after joining them into a wing (which by the way is drag and drop, which is awesome). The game's backdrop scenes were done very well, the sound was pretty decent, and the overall story guides you into the game very well. I don't see what there isn't to like about this game. I have been playing for a few hours now and I found it to be easy to control, and challenging enough to keep my interests.

Mod edited to remove flame comments

12. freduardo

freduardo What's a Dremel?

About a month and a half ago, when I heard of Star Wolves 3, I looked up a review to see if I should play it and read this one. I followed its advice and assumed I made a sage decision. However, about a week ago I reconsidered and found one of the most fun games I have played in a long while. From the screenshots, it looks as though the reviewer played through the tutorial plus about an hour of the game. This is before the game takes on basically any RTS/strategy attributes and plays like a straight up, rather boring cargo hauling simulator ala EVE, minus a couple frills.

Beyond this point, about one to two hours in assuming that you know how to use your 8x button, the player is thrust into a world of complicated mission goals, detailed story, intense space combat and tough decisions. It's fun, it looks pretty, and passing challenging parts of the game is deeply satisfying in a way few of the 'casual' games made these days are.

Bottom line: this game IS worth your time, and the reviewer himself, as a fan of space RPGs, should really try this game again. A firmly pressed '8x' button and an open mind can do a world of good.

13. Erikaiht

Erikaiht What's a Dremel?

YOU.

Okay, before I rant on you, it took a really random series of events for me to find this game.

It's all you wanted plus an order of fries.

The X series, specifically the amazing X3: Terran Conflict, all the strategy of EVE, including great economy and the ability to order several ships around at once, combined with dog-fighting and kickassery the likes of which has not been seen in any other game series.

Don't like dog-fighting? Then get into a trader, or a capital ship. Sit there while your guns blow everything up.

Was meant to come out on the 360, but was scrapped, too intensive. You'll need a great computer to run it, and the latest patches for it to utilize multi core.

Check it out.

X
    X2: The Threat
    X3: Reunion
    X3: Terran Conflict

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

allegiance was pretty cool.. they might still have servers up somewhere.. was a trip when you had a decent commander on your team

I liked freelancer dogfighting myself.. nothing can really touch that even decent

15. Cahoon2504

Cahoon2504 What's a Dremel?

This is a terrible review. This is a great game that has a brutal learning curve. Some of the missions took me hours of trial and error to get through the first time but it was so worth it. Plus there about 5 different scripted endings some of which are just epic!.

Tags: Add Tags