1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Study: Games and TV make adults more violent

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Dec 2007.

1. Major

Major Guest

The only reason I can flip instantly into a rage is because I got bullied pretty hardcore for 3-4 years when I was in school, not because I play FPS games.

I hate these studies, bunch of tossers doing it.

2. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

The games I listed were the most violent for the time. They are considered cartoonish now, but they weren't back in the day. Also T2 was considered to be very violent as well, Arnold didn't kill anyone, but Robert Patrick sure as hell did. I do suppose there are movies like the original Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead movies which were far gorier (also saw those in my mid teens).

But I don't think most people play violent games simply because they like violence. They play them because they are good games. I mean who the hell plays Postal anyways? Not many. It did not sell millions of copies because quite frankly they are pretty shallow games. I love FPSs because of the competition, not the violence. I hardly ever play single player FPS campaigns anymore. Multiplayer is where it's at. I like competing.

My point is everyone only looks at the violence present in the game. As if that is it's only fun factor, and the people who say it don't know because they don't play the games.

3. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

I would like to know how many of these kids who played violent games and watched violent tv had parents who supported and nurtured them. I was aloud to watch and play whatever I pleased growing up. I and my two brothers are not violent people. I also continue to play and watch violent games and movies. I would bet that this study did not take a whole lot in to account in theses peoples lives. This is most likely just another bs report, I'll have to read it before I can say for sure though.

4. Major

Major Guest

QFT ;)

My brother started playing GTA San Andreas at 8 years old, of course I didn't know, sneaky bugger, but he's not affected by it, and doesn't even want to play it.

And he isn't violent.

5. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Hahah, Postal2....

I played that game a while ago, couldn't stop laughing from how violent and messed up it was.

Hasn't affected me in the least though.

6. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

What a shockingly NEW discovery!

7. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

Thats a revolutionary breakthrough. I can`t believe it. Surely violent books must make you more violent also? They never mention literature. Or a predillection for violence? Maybe people are as violent as ever they just play games now instead of battering folk as the crime results would have you believe? lol

I wonder what games Jack the Ripper played?

But I do think it`s wierd that as a society we are awed by guns`n` stuff. Most of my favourite games and the content of most games involves maiming and killing as many people as possible.

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

the word 'violence' itself is extremely overrated

9. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

WTF are they TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!

This makes me ANGRY!!!!!

Just becasue I played postal doesnt mean I am and ANGRY PERSON!!!!!

**** YOU Michigan U! :wallbash:

10. dwtherock

dwtherock What's a Dremel?

Only if one is not strong on the inside

Hey look, I play Q3,4 FEAR, UT (All) CoD2 etc.... now for the ocassioanl gamer I think it's OK. Those that game more than 2-4 hours might be hard core gamers but guess what....the thought starts up in the ehad to do wrong. If you are not strong enough to correct or curb your attitude then you shouldn't play. I am a born again Christian playing games but for the sake of the kewl guns and mods (vehicles). When I am done I am studying Bible, Cisco or whatever else. I don't think lil kids or weak people should play violent games. Only those with good moral standing who know the black and white from from wrong have the ability to control the hate and anger inside. heck, I have walked away from so many fights that I know were over nothing.

So everyone, get a grip, on the Word of God, your life and be a positive influence on those around you. The reward is AMAZING!

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

you shouldn't praise religion on a public forum ... it usually turns ugly

12. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

This feels FISHY and smells rottened with agenda. this sure feels like "A Clockwork Orange" all over again...

Do read or listen to Freakonomics by Steven Levitt about fall in the crime rates.

Playing more games may be a symptom of some deeper or broader issues, and it may not. It is easy to use statistics to draw whatever conclusion... sample size, randomness in sample population, age distribution, criteria shaping and definition, etc.

I can also statistically prove that the most religious people are more violent than less religious gamers who play violent games.

This one goes down with mobile phone cause brain cancer.

These people are 'Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc' idiots

Last edited: 10 Dec 2007
  13. Major

Major Guest

Lol.

14. Stev3

Stev3 What's a Dremel?

I am of the opinion that games just show part of human nature. If you look at history, we have been living in a time when the average person lives in relative peace. We (in America) haven't had a war touch our soil in 150 years. hundreds and thousands of years ago, people were getting killed all over the place. there aren't all these castles all over Europe for no reason.

I think human nature is violent, so these games are not making us more violent, just expressing it in a relaxing way. People like Jack Thompson look at the rise of crime in the last decade, and say "There is a slight rise in violent domestic crime. There are also lots of violent games. obviously, they are connected." That's a rather large conclusion to draw. How about a rather simple, more logical possibility? A bunch of morons grew up in the 60s/70s, had kids, two jobs, and no time for the former. as a result, kids went along the path of human nature, as expressed in the above paragraph. Id, THQ, Bioware, Valve, Activision, and similar companies are just capitalizing on a generation's poor job raising their kids. Consider that, and let me get some headshots in peace. :)

15. MrMonroe

MrMonroe What's a Dremel?

The study does not imply causation... I wonder why the Bit-Tech article title does?

16. Mr_Sinister

Mr_Sinister Not Evil, just Bad

all i can say about this is BullS*@t

Games if anything will stop violent thoughts, as you get rid of your anger on the game, instead of on real people.

so if you can not tell the diff between killing some one in a game and in real life, then your need to be put in a mental home on lots of wacky drugs. :wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags