1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sweet Microsoft (for once)!!! 56k beware, VIDEO ADDED :)

Discussion in 'General' started by voodoo2k4, 3 Apr 2005.

1. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

Thats a pretty awesome set-up.

2. HumZilla

HumZilla What's a Dremel?

Very Kool. :thumb:

The only suggestion I have is to move those uplights from behind the projector to another location as your eyes probably get distracted by their light when your looking towards the screen.

3. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

same on my computer, i want the gbpvr thing looks nice.

4. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

Yep its XP Pro with a small set of extra features that to me dont really justify a new OS as such. Would make more sense to sell it as just a piece of software.

I use it for all the systems I build. No particular need to just its the cd on the workbench.

Now to go take some more piccies.

Deano.

5. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

It also comes with SP2, DX9, and several other things slipstreamed. In addition: it also does some different things with drivers and whatnot. It may just be XP Pro, but it's a well tuned and adjusted copy of xp pro ;)

6. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

Does it/can it work with any other programs (eg winamp, powerdvd, etc)?

7. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

I'll check again later in the week. Thanks for the tip!

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Wow, what a beauty!

My mum got a projector, but she never seems to let me borrow it :sigh:

How much did the whole setup cost?

9. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

Agreed! It "seems" to run a bit nicer than stock xp, maybe some shell alterations? The updated theme, energy blue, is also a lot smarter than the stock xp theme. Its kinda glossy. SP2 is also a help as is DX9, saves those annoying post format downloads.

Deano.

10. dom_

dom_ --->

you know, i hate you know.
    you finally gave me the push i have needed to go buy a projector. im going down next weekend to demo some at the local home cinema place :D

11. Yo-DUH_87

Yea, there have been some mods done to the kernel as well. It won't just accept normal drivers for some stuff ;)

12. Shambla

Shambla What's a Dremel?

Very nice setup you've got there voodoo - I have heard good things about that projector and have often been tempted to try MCE on my HTPC, but have never got round to it. Just a couple of things to add to the thread; for anyone considering buying a entry-level projector, I would wholeheartedly recommend the Infocus X1 (I have had mine since last June and have been very impressed with it) - as with the BenQ, the X1 can be found very cheap at eBuyer (indeed that's where I got mine from). As an alternative to MCE, people may also want to try Meedio Essentials - I run this on my HTPC and absolutely love it. From what I know about MCE, I think that Meedio requires a little more initial effort to get setup, but once it is all running it is a very powerful and flexible HTPC front-end.

13. tsa cain

tsa cain What's a Dremel?

I was looking into meedio essentials also is it easy to use and stable?

14. Yo-DUH_87

I was completely jazzed about the release of Meedio until I downloaded the demo, at which point I was rather dissapointed.

As of the version I downloaded it was not put together very well. A lot of stuff did not work, the stuff that did work was a pita to configure, and it was not all that stable.

At that point I went and got Windows MCE 2k5, and never looked back :D

It should be noted that I downloaded the demo within a couple of days of the software being released, so they should have fixed a lot of the problems by now. Even so, it left a bad taste in my mouth :(

15. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Just managed to borrow my mum's projector for a week, plopped it onto the shelf directly opposite my completly blank wall (room's just bin decorated) and now I've got a nice 3 metre screen in my room! Plugged in my subwoofer and speakers to make a nice HTPC for a few days, complete with a remote!

But obviously voodoo2k4's one is a lot better and more permanent!

16. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

Yeah that was a REAL problem when I used to use a bedsheet as my screen G*H*E*T*T*O. But the screen shown now is completely opaque and so its no problem, especially as the lights are only uber low wattage. Look brighter with flash off like!

Im really loving the discussion on MCE alternatives. Because though good it does have drawbacks, wondered if any of these alternatives bring anything new to the table. How do they differ?

Deano.

17. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

Video of MCE in action, crap quality sorry done on me digicam:

Clicky (35mb .mov format) (i would right click and save her tbh!)

Installed meedio last night spent about an hour playing with it, but unfortunately its just not up to par yet. Basically it seemed very shaky on thumnailing videos and the inability for picture in picture with video or TV while browsing the app was in the end enough to make me uninstall it. Shame its a nice clean looking app at the start page at least.

Any other suggestions?

Deano.

18. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

Aww, you didn't show us the Adult directory?? ;)

19. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

my fiance wants to set up a home theatre with one of those projectors now....
    seriously considering it now...

20. RTT

RTT #parp

that's rather swish :baby: