1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Take That BioShock Fans

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fophillips, 25 Aug 2007.

1. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

there is no problem really, but why should I have to go through that hassle if i bought a legit cd? Let me rephrase that question, why should *I* go though that hassle? I dont care about what other people do, I dont care if other people steal games. If they are going to do it thats not my problem. but making me jump through hoops just to use something that I bought isn't fair to me.
    Its like going to a store and having to show a reciept at the door everytime you buy something.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you haven't been shopping in a large store lately, have you?

that's exactly what you DO have to do.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I believe they do that quite often now, mostly in electronics stores.

4. Major

Major Guest

Activation I think took under a minute, so whats the hassle, and like others have said, places like Makro do exactly what you have said, even if the person checking the recipts has seen you pay at the checkout.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You don't have the internet, or your internet is down, or your gaming PC isn't connected to the internet, and you have to activate a single player only game online. Thats not the reason why people are so pissed off though, you're only allowed to install the game on two PCs, you also only get 5 (now, used to be 3) "install credits" that means, if you want to reformat your hard drive, you have to make sure you uninstall bioshock first to get that install credit back, otherwise you lose one, your hard drive dies, lost one. It's not just that, it also wasn't working as stated, uninstalling wasn't getting you your credit back. Although thats apparently fixed.

What really pissing me, and a lot of people off, is publishers (since they're the ones who usually put the copy protection on there, not the devs) are treating the people who legitimately bought their product like criminals, whereas people who pirate the game have to simply put a crack in place. The copy protection doesn't really curb pirating anyway, it stops say, your mate giving you a copied disk, but the majority of pirates download ISO versions of the game and install a no-CD crack, yes, Bioshock doesn't really have any cracks that work properly right now, but there definitely will be soon.

Take Company of Heroes for example, an award winning RTS that sold by the bucket load, yet the only form of copy protection that had was a serial code, you didn't even need the disk in the drive. Same goes for Galactic Civilizations II, but for this one the sales weren't great because it flew under the radar of a lot of gamers, and didn't have a massive shelf presence in stores, so it got very little public attention. The reason for it's lower sales wasn't due to piracy at all, in fact, a lot of people were more inclined to buy it when maybe it wasn't their bag (baby yeah) to support the developers and publishers choice to not include any copy protection, so their customers were treated better and they felt more like they were owning a game instead of being part of some contract, where you don't actually own your copy of the game, you're just allowed to play it.

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Asking for a receipt would be more akin to entering a CD key (proof of purchase).

This form of activation is more like getting strip-searched at the door (in and out, even if you don't buy anything), then having all your biometric data cataloged, allong with some sick sod with a cold sneeze in your face as you walk out. Plus, as an added bonus, if you decide to come back to the store more than twice, and forget which door you came in through (thus leaving through a different door), you are denied entry out-right, at which point you have to call their security group, where they'll request you to fax a copy of your ass over to their office, along with your mothers maiden-name, just so you can get access back into the store (maybe).

:p

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I think that's a better analogy

Last edited: 27 Aug 2007
  8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

2k cares....

9. chrisb2e9

Are you kidding? if someone did that to me I would just look at them and keep going. They have no right to do that. I remember back when walmart used to put stickers on your bags if you went in from another store with something you bought. I used to walk through a walmart every day on my way to work with my lunch in a sobeys(food store) bag. This one time a woman actually chased after me even though I was ignoring her. she finally got the point and never bothered me again.

One time I bought something at a self checkout at walmart and on my way out someone told me that the need to see my reciept. I just looked at her and kept on going. They cant legally stop you (in canada) until you are out of the store and even then they really have no legal authority to stop you and search you unless someone actually saw you steal something.

I used to work in security and it was always a pain because if I saw some kids who I *thought* had stolen something there was nothing I could do about it. Unless I saw them actually take something and leave the store without paying for it. Thats the catch, you cant go after them unless they have left the store. Even if they are walking towards the door you have to wait for them to leave. but then its easy to get away in a crowded parking lot or a mall.

In future shop if you buy something in the store and not at the checkout at the front the person you bought the item from will walk you to the front where you show the reciept and then de-activate the security device inside whatever you bought. I dont mind that though because I dont want to set off the alarm on the way out.

and how stupid does the employe have to be, to ask to see a reciept from someone even thought they just watched them buy the item? Thats like going to subway and watching someone make your sub and then before you pay for it you demand to see whats on it to make sure you are getting what you are paying for. Where is the intelligence? This world is just getting too paranoid and I for one am not going to play ball. the rest of you can stop and show your reciepts but if I get bugged every time I try to buy something, i'll just go somewhere else with my money.

10. wafflesomd

They have every right to do that. You are on private property, in their store, you are to follow their rules.

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

indeed - you have no 'public' rights in a store: you have to abide by the property owner's wishes.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's to stop people stashing expensive items somewhere and then pulling them out after they've paid for some cheap rubbish and putting them in their bag/trolley. It can happen a lot, which is why some shops stop to check that you've bought what you have, if you've got a lot they'll usually just check the most expensive items, at least thats what they do at Costco.

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Actually guys, you do not need to consent to stopping for a receipt check. You didn't agree to it on the way in, and if you've bought something then it is your property and frankly, they're screwed.

If they ask for your receipt you can (and should) just keep on walking, they have no powers of detention and what they are doing is making a request, you are free to ignore that request. They might choose to ban you from teh store, that would be their right, but it's highly unlikely they would. Certainly no-one would ever get to look in my bags in a shopping store, be they filled with my own stuff I brought in or stuff I payed for in store.

This is complete rubbish and I don't know where it came from. You as a citizen of the UK have many inalienable rights that no-one can take away. Walking into a shopping store or onto private property does not affect most of these rights. Certainly not the right to leave without being harrassed.

14. chrisb2e9

Exactly! just because I'm in a store I dont have to do what they say. They are not in charge of me. no one told me on the way in about their little "rules". Like I said before, I worked with a security company and we worked with the police everytime we had to arrest someone, or check on what we were allowed or not allowed to do. and it wasn't some little rent a cop company, it was a bigger one and is still growing bigger all the time. the point is if someone stops you in the store and wants to either search you or check your reciept and your bags, you dont have to. They have no right to do that if its the company policy or not. and quite frankly, if I did steal something, I wouldn't be so dumb as to put it in my bag as I was leaving, I would just keep it hidden.

15. capcom1

capcom1 What's a Dremel?

mabey im just too laid back then :S, the few times i have been stopped to look at my reciept i was treated with respect and politly so dont have a problem with it

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Fair enough. It's your right to do with as you please. I simply think people shouldn't stop in order that everyone realise that they do actually have rights, and don't have to pay any attention to the store people who generally have an attitude of "I AM THE LAW!".

17. wafflesomd

Once again, private property. I mean, seriously. What is so hard to comprehend about private property. It's their store, you have to abide by their rules.

I pray to god that you're next post makes sense. The last few have been far from it.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2007
  18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Right so they can murder you and that's fine? Like I said, there are certain rules that, just by being a private establishment, they cannot remove from you. Even our police officers need a good reason to search us in the eyes of the laws, some rentacop or angry looking employee has absolutely no rights to search you, regardless of the property being private or not.

This is not a case of me not comprehending private property, it's a case of you not realising that certain rights are inalienable. Oh and pray all you want, but it's not my posts that need improving.

19. wafflesomd

Now your just being childish. Murder relates to checking receipts?

One last time: PRIVATE PROPERTY, WHEN YOU WALK INTO THEIR STORE, YOU ABIDE BY THEIR RULES, THEY ARE NOT INFRINGING ON YOUR RIGHTS BY ASKING TO SEE YOUR RECEIPT, THEY ARE MERELY TRYING TO PREVENT SHOPLIFTING.

I'm not even going to argue with you anymore, you're logic is just miles beyond anything I could ever hope to comprehend :rolleyes:

Last edited: 28 Aug 2007
  20. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Unless they have a sign saying they may request to view your receipt and that you may not be allowed on the premises unless you consent then by law they can't. Same with CCTV unless they let you know you have CCTV it's not useable in court

Tags: