1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals The assumption we all use 'WASD' on gaming keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperHans123, 21 Apr 2022.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Your work here is done.

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

He's not dead, was all a ruse. He's simply ascended to a higher plane of existence.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

No, he just powered down for maintenance.

On topic: I used to stick to the cursor keys instead of WASD, borne (I think) out of a pedantic determination to use direction keys for their intended purpose. That changed when additional keys became commonplace - we're talking back in the nineties here.

LennyRhys and The_Crapman like this.
  4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I stuck it out on the arrow keys for a looong time. I couldn't say exactly when I changed over, but 2000's at least.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Data point: my daughter started playing “real” games on switch and ps4/5 a couple years ago (7) and when I noticed her regularly correcting herself after instinctively (and correctly) doing the opposite vertical movement, inverted her Y and she has been grand since.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

For me, inverted y for aerial - I have no idea how it's possible not to

Regular for other

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not having "push forward to tilt aircraft downwards" in a flight or space sim really would be weird... I grew up on flight sims so that's why I started playing with inverted Y in the first place. I can't even remember when I switched to non-inverted, I think it was when I stopped PC gaming for a while and started playing FPS games on the original Xbox...

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I mean how are you going to be able to dash to an airfield and commandeer a helicopter in an apocalypse if you've not learned how joysticks work properly?!?

Crazy town.

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Helicopters are easy though, because they don't fly - they're so ugly that the ground simply pushes them away.

Christ that joke was old when my dad was young...

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It goes without saying that (probably) an overwhelming majority of PC gamers use WASD, and do so without even giving it a second thought - it has been the FPS standard for around twenty years now. I was playing desktop computer (*cough* mac) games in the early 90s, and controls were very simple. Since playing Unreal Tournament in 1999, I have never used anything other than WASD in FPS games... I really don't see the point.

My previous keyboard had interchangeable WASD keycaps, and it seems to me -- although I may be wrong -- that gaming keyboards these days are more RGB focused and largely seem to have dropped the WASD distinction.

Strange fact: I work in Photoshop every day from 9-5, and my left hand naturally rests on the WASD keys, even though I barely use them. I did say strange.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

you tilt your head back to look up, you bring the mouse back to look up, simples!

As for WASD, its just where the fingers like, I have even mapped many of my frequent keys in work around the same gaming area as it is where my hands land, but it is very much muscle memory and perhaps if I played many different games early in life it'd be different, saying that though I would hours on the right side of the keyboard double playing Gauntlet as a kid so I am easily adaptable, says the man who bought a gaming keyboard for the office because he didn't like switching from Logitech to Dell keyboard with different spacings and arrange ment...... :D

LennyRhys likes this.