1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows THE bit-tech StarCraft 2 thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Horizon, 5 Jul 2010.

1. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

A small one ;) Medium AI or any AI never seems to do drops, banelingbust, 2 rax etc XD

what you can use it for is learning what units to use against what type of opponent :)

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I would just jump into battle.net. That's what I did. It eases you in gently to get a feel for the game with the practice matches.

3. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

Yeah just done that. Won both games, pretty pleased. I know the practice league isn't a true reflection of the online game proper but I think I'll play my remaining 48 matches just to get a feel for it.

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I disagree a bit there. Yes its played at a slower speed and there are rocks preventing hard rushes or proxies, but aside from that, its all the same stuff. If you do indeed play all 50, you will be well placed to get stuck in.Another way to improve is to watch lots of casts on YouTube. You will see lots of little tricks that your enemies in the practice league will never have seen! I recommend Day9, HuskyStarcraft and PsyStarcraft.

5. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

All good advise there, really good.

Also another point that I still follow: save all your replays and watch them. Wheather you won or lost - you need to see where and why you won or lost. Just because you smeared your opponent - don't think your good. He may have had a bad start.

One thing to notes though with the placement system - its not very good.
    Did my placement for season 2 about 3 w-ends ago. Its was a ZvT match and from word go
    this guy played with me (coming in, killing off just enough, then left). After 25min I conceded - and the system put me in at #47 gold!?!

Coming from someone that couldn't push past #40 silver last season - I'm thinking no way in hell.

6. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

I didn't even know that there were a practice league :D

As for replays I Use HDStarcraft, but what matters is that you see a few games

7. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

The new season took your ELO from last season and relativly compared it for this season. As being promoted to a league is extremely difficult as you require an ELO in the top 50% of players in that league. The new placement match places ppl in there respective decision not taking into account the promotion hurdle.

Hence you had an ELO that put you in gold on a raw score basis however you were silver last season due to you not having a ELO in the top 50% in Gold league.

Does that make sense???

Its an overly complicated system that has originated from the chess ranking system that has been around for years and is considered the best way rate players. However the promotion hurdle is overly frustrating when you consistently beat people in the league above you but remain in your current league.

What it does do however is make sure that the best players play in the highest league and that each league apart from the bottom 2-3 have a consistently increased performance level over time.

Confused yet??? :p

8. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Shockingly, No. :p

But what ever - offical ranking is out of my league, so I'll either play and lose until I go down a level, or not play (cough cough) until it does.

9. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Ah Well....

I tried :D

10. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Just watching the finals from sunday's dreamhack SC2 final. Huk's 6 pool defence was MENTAL!

11. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Moon's 6 Pool build was IDIOTIC!

:p

12. freshsandwiches

Well I completed the last of my practice league games. Managed to win over 20 of them as Terran so felt I was doing okay. I then played my five placement matches and lost all of them (really didn't stand a chance) and was placed in the bronze league.

I played one league game there against a protoss played and was owned there too. Phew this game is tough.

13. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Hang in there.

Refine your builds and make sure you keep building depots and scv's. And get some simple timings down pat. ie - attack when +1 finishes.....or when stim finishes

I dont recommend doing lame arse cheesy builds. But if you get in a bit of a bad frame of mind.

just 3 rax stim time a toss, at bronze they wont have a clue what to do.

FYI - 3 rax = 1 reactor 2 tech lab raxs.........push with about 5 maruders and upteen marines whilst stim is close to finished......then push ramp one it finishes.

They wont have a chance. Then you can expo behind it.

But you really need to keep at it. The basics will become second nature for you eventually. And you slowly see yourself improving.

And the number of builds you have with multiply.

14. Pughy

Pughy Fancy a game of Starcraft?

Yay I got my US account upto masters, didn't take long at all. It was like 58-38 when I ranked up. Could have gotten up faster but I got high and lost games in a sily way :(

15. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Gratz.....Was so close to masters on my SEA account.....and now i cant seem to beat anyone. lol

Im now even loseing to plat players, even when i get a big lead.......multitaking has turned to sh** and decision making has been idiotic.

I hate going thru stretches like this. lol........guess ill have to put in a 6 hr session tonight. And force myself to MACRO........

Brings back memory s of some of the moments i had in gold. :'(

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I keep getting owned in TvT :D I do know why, it's not my macro or economy as such, just the charging of marines and marauders into tank walls. I genuinely don't know how to break them, other than with banshees which are just so damn cheesy.

17. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Get air dominance with your vikings.

That way you get the increased vision and can seige unseig out of site of thee tanks whilst your tanks can do dmg.

Or you acn flaunt ther immobility and jsut drop every base they have with 8 marines :D

18. freshsandwiches

Thanks for the advice. I want to try this out but I've added a few questions. Sorry I've noticed a lot of SC2 players shorten things and I've not quite figured them all out.

I have to admit I've ducked mp since I finished my qualifying games. I'm still keen to get back into it though.

19. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

+1 finishes - he means when your +1 ranged attack finishes for your rines and mauraders.

Push ramp one - he means push ramp once stim has finished.

expo behind it - expand by adding another command centre to increase your economy.

20. freshsandwiches

Thanks.

What does ramp mean?

Tags: