The CLCD digital baybus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cheese, 6 Nov 2002.

1. Cheese

Cheese Doc

2. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

At last a way to power on and off 12v items with a 5v GPO!! Do you mind if I hadd a link/pimp this from my site?

3. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Of course I don't :)

Rob.

4. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Neato. I thought the matrix orbitals had 5 GPOs that could be switched from HighZ to 5V, with respect to ground. How come you're only using 3? Is it because of the space constraints on the back of the display?:p

5. Cheese

Cheese Doc

No, though that might be how the gpo's on graphical displays work (if by Z you mean impedence). Most mo displays have 6 GPO's.

I don't have any use for more than 3 high power 36W per channel outputs :) Simple as that.

Cheers,

Rob.

6. theredone447

theredone447 What's a Dremel?

Looks good

Looks good cheese. And thanks for The US links.:clap:

7. uk_dave

uk_dave What's a Dremel?

The very artical I've been waiting for! Did you read my mind?!
    I got an MO LCD display a couple of months back I since then I've wanted to know how to get it o control my fans and CCFLs.

Thanks for a great artical! :clap:

Now where's my soldering iron...

8. ChriX

ChriX ^

As I said before, well done mate, very good job :)

9. uk_dave

uk_dave What's a Dremel?

Just one question for you - What, if any, software package(s) did you use to design the stripboard layout on page 3 of the article?

I got a program ages ago that you can use to create PCB designs, but I haven't found one tha creates design for stripboard.

10. Cheese

Cheese Doc

:lol: You wouldn't believe me if I told you the truth.

Rob.

11. Cheese

Cheese Doc

12. SleeperDC

SleeperDC What's a Dremel?

nice one~

13. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I'ts MSPaint isn't it... I used to do juuust the same, well, that was before I forgot nearly everything I knew about electronics :D

14. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Hehe no, m$ word :) I got used to vector drawing in it when writing work up so I can do it pretty quickly now...

Rob.

15. uk_dave

uk_dave What's a Dremel?

I ended up using Word quite a lot when I did AS-Level Electronics a couple of years ago. I drew all my circuit diagrams using it. In the end I created a document with a library of all the components I used and then I just copied and pasted them and drew all the connections!

16. uk_dave

uk_dave What's a Dremel?

I haven't installed it yet, but a friend told me that a program called "Stripboard Magic" can produce a strip board layout from a circuit diagram.

The link for the software is: http://www.qsl.net/m0bsz/Software.htm
    Alternatively, Google it

17. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Thanks for the info :)

Rob.

18. m!ke

m!ke What's a Dremel?

thanks for the article! I've had a MO VFD for almost a year now without being able to use the GPO's for anything!! 'cos of you, I can now use it! :D

The only query I have is that you have set the baybus to have all of the GPO's on by default... unfortunatley I have two sound activated cold cathodes that I have re-worked so that one GPO will switch it on to 'permanent' mode and another GPO will set it to 'sound activated' mode... now obviously I don't want all of the GPO's on by default, but only half,.. with the other half switched off by default.

So my question is,.. how do I do that? :confused: I have no electrical experience (although I did manage to understand your article - a sign of excellent writing style on your behalf? :D )

anyway, if you could help me out, that'd be much appreciated!

19. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Welcome to the boards! :)

I can have a stab at answering your question but to do so without questioning your setup would be a little silly.

What happens if both mode inputs are set to high? Because if it's anything bad then I wouldn't connect them both to GPO's ever, it would only take a small delay before one switching on and the other off for trouble, or a dodgy byte to be misinterpreted by MO's controller. If it's nothing bad then I'd just live with both on high until windows kicks in, LCDC loads on startup and sets the GPO outputs how you want them... makes life easier ;)

If it is something bad then we need something a little more intelligent than just connecting to two GPO's, perhaps XOR the output on the two GPO's and then AND that with each of the two outputs before feeding the outputs into the high power isolator... that way you could never have both on at once.

Rob.

20. m!ke

m!ke What's a Dremel?

I haven't tried to see what happens if both inputs are on at the same time... and don't wanna try! :hehe:

I think the logic gates would be perfect.. the only thing is how would I build it? I know the theory behind it, but what specific components do I need to buy? (sorry, but I know virtually nothing about electronics - except a lesson or two during GCSE physics.. and that was almost 8 years ago! :worried: :p )

Tags: Add Tags