The CLCD digital baybus

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cheese, 6 Nov 2002.

1. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Working with logic gates is easy, you can just buy chips with them in from your electronics store of choice :) I can look up some codes for you after the 3rd, but until thrn I can't be much more help...

Rob.

2. WhyPush

WhyPush What's a Dremel?

Where are you for starters?

I'm working on a similar idea now (yes, Cheese, I have been gone a long time!)
    Look at IC 7486 XOR for the IC I plan to use as the base of my design.

3. WhyPush

WhyPush What's a Dremel?

LoTech alternate for 6x2 pin socket

Cheese,
    The 6x2 socket wasn't easy to find, so I made one from a 14-pin, low-profile IC socket. I cut it in half, superglued the outside edges together, and filed down the rough edges. Fit like a charm, just had one extra set of unused pin sockets. Because they are only two rows apart on a stripboard, I just used two rows, and notched out the strip between the pins on the -VE side.

I'm redoing it currently after my first hack at it, so I'll post pictures when I can.

4. leber

leber What's a Dremel?

can some one take a quick look at this
    [​IMG]

sorry about this size of the pic, i did this in a hurry

the problem is that when connected to the power supply the load voltage stays at 5V. If i disconnect the molex the circuit will change like its supposed to. the transistors are tip31c's. lcd is a usb Mo lk-202-24.

I do have this connected to gpo 1 and not the 5 v above it.

anyone see what is wrong here.

5. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Yes, it's the earth pin on the GPO that switches on and off, the 5V pin always provides 5V :)

Rob.

6. leber

leber What's a Dremel?

ok here is and update, i ripped the design off your guide here on bit-tech (thanks for the guide). This is the circuit i came up with, how does it look, i think i got it right, although the load might need to be put on the other side of the transistor.

[​IMG]

edit: oh ya right now gpos 4,5,6 are being left open for future expansion.

7. Cheese

Cheese Doc

The load is fine where it is, but I don't think you've got it quite right yet...

you have the load connected to the collector of the transistor, then they should connect the +ve line, not earth... and the emitter pin should connect to earth, you don't connect the GPO's +5V pin to anything!

[​IMG]

'High power output' is your load :)

Rob.

8. gb115b

gb115b What's a Dremel?

fanbus idea

since you can get 12v (with yor mod) and the GPO can produce 5V
    usign the other GPOs, could you make a way of producing 12V (12-0), 7V (12-5), and 5V to have a 3 speed digital fanbus??

I have absolutely no idea about electronics so please excuse me if I said somethign really stupid.

has anyone done somethign liek this, I'd really like a digital fanbus (which'd be controllable in software).

regards

G

9. linear

linear Minimodder

Welcome to the boards.

Something like what you describe would be a possibility. It would require substantially more components.

I would probably design it by using two GPOs as inputs to a demultiplexer. That would give you four selectable, mutually exclusive outputs. You'd need circuitry to make each of those provide a fixed programmed voltage to your fan, and that could be implemented in a variety of ways--I'd be partial to 78xx voltage regulators myself.

>I have absolutely no idea about electronics

Sorry about the above explanation, I was sort of 'thinking out loud' but the answer is yes, you can pretty much adapt this to do a wide variety of theings. That's the 'general purpose' part of a general purpose output.

10. PillPu$her

PillPu$her What's a Dremel?

Cheese, what would someone have to change on this circuit to use it with the I/Os of the Noritake display you reviewed? Would LCDC be able to slow down or speed up case fans connected to this circuit and the Noritake display based on MM5 temp readings? Thanks.

11. Cheese

Cheese Doc

If I remember right the Noritake's I/O's switch in the same way MO's GPO's do (i.e. the earth switches not the 5V line) - so the circuit should be the same (and I think I said as much at the time in the Noritake thread).

You can use the Noritake display to control fan speed by PWM the output, whether someone's written anything to do this in LCDC I don't know - haven't used in it a yonk (my only lcd is in a PC with no ram in it atm :().

Rob.

12. gb115b

gb115b What's a Dremel?

sorry newbie question (but I guess i am a newbie) PWM??? is that pulse wave modulation or something, how does that work, I haven't got a matrix orbital display yet, but was thinking of gettign one depending on whether I could get it working as a bay/fan bus

13. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Basically if you strobe the GPO's output then the power you supply to any devices attached to the GPO is a simply a function of the time the GPO is in its on state for per cycle - so at a fixed frequency and GPO voltage you can vary a speed of a fan driven by the GPO simply by changing the width of the GPO's pulses.

It's very easy to do this in software, but I'm not sure if LCDC has implemented it or not. I have heard rumours that the latest USB LCD's from MO will come complete with onboard PWM circuitary and fan headers - making life a little easier :)

Rob.

p.s. http://www.bit-tech.net/article/51/ is a good read :)

14. PillPu$her

OK, so PWM fan control with the Noritake is out for now until someone writes an LCDC module to incorporate this. However, with 2 I/O's upgraded to high output, I could use Macro's Electrobus to control the fans. Can LCDC be made to turn the Noritake outputs on or off based on MM5 criteria like CPU Temps? If so, I could use one high output with the electrobus to give me manual control over my fans at startup...then have LCDC switch to the other high output with a direct 12V connection to the fans if the CPU temp rises above 50 degrees. What do you think?

15. gb115b

gb115b What's a Dremel?

I know that MBM outputs the cpu temps via an api, so software can be written in c++ to control it quite easily I'd think

16. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

Hi rob,

I like it, I would love to get on off those thrown in my case but never really looked into it, I might one day when I see such a sweet project like tht..

n1 rob;)

17. PillPu$her

gb115b, are you offering? :thumb:

18. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Think you'd probably have to use delphi, but yeah it's not hard.

Rob.

19. PillPu$her

How about a program like LCDstats? I don't know if it can control the Noritake displays I/O's or even if it can run with LCDC at the same time. The author's email link is broken (mail returned) so I don't know how to get an answer. In your experience, would it hurt the display to try this program, and if it doesn't work, now difficult would it be to change the source code provided on the site?

Cheese, please let me know if you prefer this posting on the Noritake forums instead.

20. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

Pretty much what you are saying LCDC can do anyway, however LCDC is not capable of running the GPO's on the Noritake as they work differently. Secondly although you can run multiple apps, only one can access the COM port at any one time. However in theory if you just want to turn one GPO on and off you can do it with the send commands and enter the command codes to do this.

Tags: Add Tags