1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows The death of turn based RPGs?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by dactone, 4 Apr 2011.

1. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

FXIII

i enjoyed it so far (not finished yet)

it opens up alot of after chapter 9 is it ? after you get to the other world lol

i seem to be able to go where i want and the areas are quite large.

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Oh dear god i forgot about Disgaea 3........bye bye life lol If it's anything like the first its will take until the end of time to complete :D

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

See I started FF 13 and I was enjoying it (roughly 16 hours in) but I just stopped playing. I heard it opens up later in the game around the 20 hour mark or so but early game its rather linear. Graphics are really nice though, I really should get back into it.

4. Jimbob94

Jimbob94 What's a Dremel?

You should pick it up again, really does open up with loads of optional stuff to do! :thumb:

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

For the general RPG fan then yes it does, but for die hard Final Fantasy fans 13 has almost nothing to offer and is little more than a CGI movie where you click a button every now and then.

Done everything there is to do and it is nothing but grind, it really doesn't have the feeling of accomplishment that earlier FF's do.

That said it is a stunning graphical piece and, although boring, the paradigm system is very cleverly done.

If you're not a massive fan then it is very enjoyable but if you are its just meh.

6. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Theres also the Kings Bounty series on the PC. I got it for a deal on steam and they are well worth a look.

Although, there are somke great games on the DS. With its touch screen, it was made for turn based rpg's!

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

im just about to give starocean: the first departure a crack

hopefully its sweet

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Very well put, my copy has just been sitting around.. IMO the series peaked around midway (5-10) and has gone downhill since. Received 11 as a gift from a relative who knew I was into FF, never played since I'm not an MMO guy. Bought 12 about a year ago, quite disappointing.. Story and characters were extremely shallow, even FF 5 had better character development, and it was released in 1992!

I blame the Enix merger. Enix's games were awful.

EDIT: I just agreed with a Star Ocean fan.

[​IMG]

Till the End of Time was the worst RPG I've ever played.. I could not get past the awful story and graphical style. Even the dialog was enough to put me off :-|

Anyway, I forgot to be on-topic.

Try the Fire Emblem series if you haven't already, they're more tactical and less RPG oriented than FF:Tactics, but still fun.

Front Mission 3 was also good IMO. Metal Gear Ac!d and Ac!d 2 are good if you have a PSP.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2011
  9. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

The Shin Megami Tensei games are all turned based (and all the ones i've played are awesome). There's one on the DS As well, would recommend them, but with a hint of caution:

1) the stories are WIERD (interesting, but complicated)
    2) they are HARD. (Atlus generally don't make games with anything other than Rock solid difficulty)

EDIT:
    It's better than the first in almost every way. The main character isn't as good, well I say not good, he is. He just isn't Laharl (although laharl, flonne and etna are unlockables, and mid-boss is a dlc character :D)

10. dactone

dactone dact-one

i played ff 13 and got so bored of 1 button fighting ! iv still got it might try that again aswell . thers always fallout to fall back on i guess . kings bounty i played the demo and that just wasnt for me :)