Music The Hi-Fi thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by Edge102030, 30 Dec 2009.

1. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I was going to get a Debut a couple of years back but the staff in the shop I bought it from reckoned the Rega P1, which looks almost identical but is British made, slightly edges it. Can't say I'd probably notice anyway myself but they're both great standards for 'low-end' turntables (try convincing people that you bought a 'budget' model for £200).

2. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

i know what you mean, people dont realise that when you talk about 'hifi', a budget component will cost upto around £400.

3. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Not my hifi setup but I'm building some 15" tapped horns for a club install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

ohhhh nice

would you make one for my sub ? :D

;)

5. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

we likey horns :)

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

New centre speaker for the AV setup...

[​IMG]

The audio bits...
    Denon 3808
    Sonos ZP90
    B&W 603 front
    B&W 601 rear
    B&W CDM-CNT centre
    BK Monolith DF sub

Pardon the rather awful quality phone pic... I've flogged my SLR a good two months prior to what's intended to replace it hits the market, schoolboy error.

Just flicked back a couple pages and shuddered at how untidy it used to be in the old house. :eek:

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  7. wafflesomd

If I lived over there I would love to make one.

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

awww <3

9. wafflesomd

I'm actually hoping to make a brand name out of my cabinets. I already do a lot of sound hire and stage hand work.

I just got fired from my day job so I have all the time in the world to work on a business model and plan.

10. DrDantastic

DrDantastic What's a Dremel?

Where are you based wafflesomd? It's always good to see another cabinet designer :D

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Do you know the make/model of that cabinet/TV bench thingy?

I'm in the market of a new one, but haven't found anything I like yet (What is it about making a piece of furniture for stereo equipment that isn't big enough to house said equipment...?).

Yours look very nice. If I can't source one, maybe I can at least use it as inspiration for building my own. :)

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

How much do you charged and how much do you think shipping would cost ? :hehe:

13. wafflesomd

I'm located in Ohio, U.S.

I didn't design those 15" tapped horns, they're a plan called the THAM15.

Here's some X1 18" bandpass cabinets we've been using at events. We try to bring them out to EDM events for some proper low end.

[​IMG]

This is the only cabinet I've designed so far.

[​IMG]

My buddy and I are trying to find a place to setup shop and start cranking them out. We're working with a few other designs, mainly horns, and will probably go with the typical bass reflex designs as well. We've worked out some deals with a local metal fab shop and a car paint shop to coat them in what is essentially truck bed liner.

What driver will you be using?

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

15. Mister_Tad

It's from Blok - http://www.blokdirect.com/

I had a hell of a time finding a cabinet that ticked all my boxes:
    - capable of housing 6 full size components minimum
    - ideally capable of housing 8 full size components (I have to keep my upgrade options open!)
    - smoked glass front
    - open back (cabling & ventilation)
    - low enough to plonk a large centre channel on top of it
    - In either black ash to match the speakers, or oak to match the rest of the furniture
    - not from Spectral (not that I don't like Spectral, I just don't like the £2k+ price tags)

I then realised where I was going wrong is looking for one cabinet - it's actually two units side by side, secured together merely with a C-clamp underneath. With the centre speaker on the middle of the cabinet(s) there's no telling that it isn't a single unit.

The build quality is excellent, I feel like I could stand/jump on it/them (though haven't tried), and I reckon they look pretty damn good. Honestly it's the single best purchase of the entire AV setup.

Smilodon likes this.
  16. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Nice looking horns wafflesomd :thumb:

What sort of delays are you getting with those horns? I've found that horns boost the gain at the expense of delay, so horns are great for concerts, ok for clubs, but not too good when detail and accuracy is desired, such as in a HI-FI setup - maybe I'm way off, but I'm guessing Knuck wants HI-FI bass?

17. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Posted this in the "show your computer room" thread and thought it would fit in here...

[​IMG]

The Aegos are on the way out as I have an M-Audio SBX10 on the way so that along with the BX8a D2s with the Xonar STX producing the signal will hopefully keep me nice and happy for some time to come. :)

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Ah! Nice! Thank you. :)

I figured out the same thing as you. Getting one single unit isn't going to work. Especially since the cabinets have to be a total of 3 meters wide. (and maybe wrap around a corner). Buying 3 of those from blok would be way too expensive, it seems. (Even IF i could find some here in Norway... :( )

I really like the design of the "Classix" series. I could probably make something similar out of a couple of beech bench tops and some black paint. (IIRC Beech is as hard as oak, but more stable.)

19. immoral

immoral What's a Dremel?

Looks great, what EPG is that?

Thanks,
    /Dante

20. Mister_Tad

I very nearly had a crack at making them myself too, but I have a habit of starting with good intentions and never finishing, so decided that the non-DIY approach, while expensive, will be far better for the sake of my wife's sanity :D

That would be the stock vista MCE interface with the "TV Pack" (a cracking upgrade that never seemed to surface as an official release for whatever reason), it was replaced with Win7 shortly after that photo, which is much the same.

immoral likes this.