1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The inevitable mistakes everyone makes when changing their rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 7 Oct 2013.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I'm in the process of rebuilding my rig. Thought I'd share a few things I'd (re)encountered. Add yours!

1) Forgetting to swap out the I/O shields.

2) Setting up a 12 hour overclocking test run - only to find out you'd forgot to turn off Windows update and/or forgotten to disconnect the network.

3) Getting everything screwed in and ready, only to find that one wire won't conveniently go under something without removing the motherboard/heatsink.

4) Fixing number 3) and in the process knocking another wire out of position and having to repeat the process.

5) Carefully putting all the drives in in order (C:\, D:\ etc) only to ruin it by absent mindedly plugging in a USB drive.

6) Leaving the unstable overclock active whilst reinstalling Windows.

7) Where the hell did that last thumbscrew go for securing the outer panels?

8) 'Before continuing installation of (the DVD version of) Windows, drivers are needed for your DVD drive to work' :wallbash: - sod it - I don't really need RAID anyway: AHCI mode it is.

9) I know I should unplug the PSU before adding/removing bits, but I'm amazing at building computers and won't - heh, that spark was pretty...

10) The drive that you put all the stuff you want to install first on is the only drive that the new system doesn't like.

pete* likes this.
  2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

lmao bravo ! :D

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Did you have a bad day or morning before you did this lol

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Not quite the same but some guy a mate knows gave me his PC to repair and he left a CD in the drive of his misses giving him a ******** lol

5. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Lol rofl oh is that when he left his socks in his jump suit lol

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Lol

7. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

A computer isn't self built unless you loose half a liter of blood through your finger cuts on the new chassis.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Youtube yourself doing something you know nothing about

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I just insist on making all the mistakes I can - to 'learn' from them :D .
    Nice!
    Ah yes, I forgot to mention that.
    But he's wearing an N7 top - he must know everything!

10. Xir

Xir Modder

With you on most...especially number 8.
    Now where'd I put that disk(ette) drive that holds the raid-drivers???

11. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Once dropped a screw in the PSU and forgot about it.
    Fried the brand new CM Silent Pro.......

12. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

LOL. Great video!

Last minor FUBAR I did was forgetting to check the underside of the MOBO for dust one last time. Apparently during the transfer from my Antec to my Coolermaster case, it picked up a big dust bunny near the audio outs. I kept getting this weird low level static in the new machine when speakers were over 50% volume. It wasn't until I lifted the MOBO back out of the new case before I discovered the culprit. Fortunately no permanent damage was done.

13. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Ouch.

I personally ALWAYS forget about the I/O shield. I've also put together an entire ITX system then realised it won't fit in the case.

14. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

The number 1 rule of computer building...

DO IT SOBER

Lol i brake it every time

15. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

My most common one is wiring the power on button to the mobo wrong. Finish putting everything in and hold breath while pressing the power button for the first time buzzing with excitement - god dammit it, I've done it again!

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've done this! I spent a whole evening thinking I'd killed my CPU by lapping it. Turned out I'd only attached the on/off to one connector :wallbash: .

17. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I've made several of these mistakes myself too - lol.

Once I was trying to work out what component in my system was causing it to BSOD. We all remember the days before onboard code displays when you had to listen to the number of beeps the board made to help you work out what was going wrong. I kept removing components from the case as I wasn't getting any beeps, till all I was left with was the CPU in the board. There I was thinking I had ruined my CPU and/or board, when I crouched down, felt a pain in my foot and realised I was standing on the speaker which I had removed when disconnecting the front headers right at the start.

I also setup a full watercooling loop and it wasn't until I went to leak test it that I realised that I had mixed up the input and output on the D5 pump. The sound I heard was pretty similar to that in the video (which was soon drowned out by the swearing aimed at my own stupidity) - I've had to stop the video at 1:22 - I daren't watch the ending, how can someone be so stupid?

18. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

when i did my first watercooling rig i forgot to attached the pump after i finished checking for leaks and getting the air out of the loop (i was using an old PSU for leak test). When i got everything together and closed it all up, i started it up and thought fantastic its all working and sooooo quiet. So decided to run Prime95 and as usual i open up realtemp and saw the temp over 100 degrees i crapped my pants and switched it off. Opened it all up and saw that the pump wasn't connect. :wallbash::wallbash:

Luckily nothing was damaged

19. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

buying a mATX case and not reading the install Manuel that explains that you HAVE TO install Hard ware in a specific order......

Never taking the time to sort out the wiring so the back panel fits on the case.
    ANY one have my case see sig would love a pic or two of good wiring PLEASE :D

20. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Had a lot of fun with #8 recently.

I'd like to add the other great one; Forgetting to assume it's a simple problem until it's not.

"Why the hell is this drive not working?!" *Three hours later* "... Did I try a different cable?"