1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Mouse Buying Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kaxliysi, 14 Jun 2012.

1. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I divide mice into two categories: hardcore and general

Hardcore is a mouse that has perfect 1:1 tracking, suitable for very competitive gamers that compromise nothing and want their equipment to be goddamn perfect. This includes Deathadder, Zowie eVo mice, CM Storm Spawn, Abyssus, G400 and only a few others.

Most of the public would be OK with general mice, which have "some" problem whether it's a teensy bit of acceleration or slight jitter or anything that prevents a perfect 1:1 tracking. Most people wouldn't notice or care about it, and so would be perfectly happy with such mice. This list includes everything else, almost all laser mice, Corsair mice, Mionix, Roccat, Sidewinder laser, Logitech other than G400 (MX518 + older stuff tends to be hardcore certified though) basically almost everything.

2. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

I purchased a R.A.T. 5 yesterday and so far it is excellent. (I am a palm grip)

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Not bad mice, are they? How are the cabled versions? I seem to be getting issues that, ironically, vanish the further the mouse gets from the receiver.

4. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Btw Somer_Himpson how did you like the CM Inferno you're selling?

5. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson What's a Dremel?

Very decent mouse.
    The only reason I am selling it is the lack of ergonomics for my right thumb...the R.A.T. is a much better fit for me.

6. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

How much of an improvement would a Deathadder be over a Diamondback? Mine is starting to get a little tatty with age and gratuitous amounts of use, so I'm going to start looking for a replacement as soon as work puts a few peanuts into my bank account...

EDIT: That said, if I could get an unused Diamondback, I'd go for another. Utterly love that mouse, but mine is more than a little...rustic these days.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2012
  7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Afaik a pretty big improvement. At least the sensor is much better but most people couldn't care less :)

Other than that your in the same boat in terms of build quality and all that. Just ensure you like the shape.

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I always have the acceleration set to 100% even when gaming.

9. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

That used to be me, too! For many years actually, and my accuracy was pretty darn good :)

But your muscle memory will consistently and quickly aim perfectly better if you have a 1:1 mapping of your hand movement to cursor movement. It's easier and faster to get amazing aim in any game you play or start playing.

If you tend to play the same games though, and you've practiced long enough then having acceleration is absolutely fine :)

Also acceleration is more ergonomical as you move your hand less during usage of your PC.

The main advantage of 1:1 mapping is basically it's easier to get really really good, pretty fast.

10. longweight

I have always used acceleration so I guess I must just be used to it, I love how much twitchier you can be whilst also being able to snipe properly.

11. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Definitely! Sometimes I wish I hadn't switched, but I have noticed an aim improvement now when switching games frequently..

But using the mouse in windows is just a pain and this is on a 1080p monitor. And yeah that twitch speed of when using acceleration... mmm...

12. longweight

It really helps at work with two monitors as the horizontal resolution is 3,840. It takes along time to reach the close window button from the start button!

13. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yeah! You're forgiven :)

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-Laser-Mouse-8000/dp/B000I4UQFC

I use one of those, in black. Its shell is mostly aluminum, rechargeable AA battery, and nigh on indestructable build quality. I find it excellent, a touch small, but the feel of aluminum in my hand is very comforting, and also assists in those crimes where a person feels led to beat a person to death with mouse and/or keyboard. Think I'm gonna replace my granite mousepad with a hard acrylic one and redo the feet with teflon skates but other than that it's excellent. As you would expect from a MS mouse of its caliber.

15. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

A very solid suggestion :)

16. freeclout

freeclout What's a Dremel?

I just received my steelseries kinzu v2 pro. I'm liking it very much, very basic but a hell of an upgrade from my old dell ball mouse.

17. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

A hear some top quake players swear by it. I think acceleration gets a bad rep from the fact in most games it isn't a linear response curve as they use the default windows acceleratio. I know some games such as quake live use their own algorithim to give consistency but couldn't name any other games.

18. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

In Quake acceleration gives a real benefit, as there isn't much pinpoint sniping but rather more twitchiness, so it works quite well.

I think the most professional acceleration users actually play Quake.

19. Kraemer

Kraemer What's a Dremel?

Never knew people classified the ways of holding a mouse. But I guess I am a fingertip user. Maybe I am ignorant.... But I currently use the Logitech MX518. I was thinking of getting the Tt eSPORTS Theron or the Logitech G500 and maybe even the G9x. I still love my MX518 though.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'm late to the party and just read the "guide". Let down to say the least, may as well have been one big link to Razer's mouse guide, they even used their pictures! The suggestions promised to be helpuful but were sparse at best. Just a quick line saying what grips work best without any reason or justification. There were also none suggested for fingertip grips aside from the lazily described "works well for all" mice. May as well have shown a picture and said "use your common sense, does this look like something you'd like to hold?".

Since it seems acceptable to share mouse preferences, I'm a claw/fingertip grip person. The only part of the finger that ever touches the mouse is past the last joint and the palm rests or floats as needed. I use a RAT7, its flat sides work very well for thumb/ring/pinky fingertip grip on the sides and the adjustable palm rest I have fully forward to keep it out of the way for when my palm lifts. It should also be mentioned that the left and right main buttons are very sensitive which is useful for when you're pressing with fingertips and not the whole finger's strength.