1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2013 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 11 Jan 2013.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Another Supplier can not come into f1 at this stage it is too late in the season for next year unless they delayed the season or ignored the EU regulations gl with either.

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Pirelli are getting a seriously raw deal, the tyres are directional and have a minimum pressure of 19psi. The teams have been running them backwards and at 15psi, so 23-ish percent under pressure.

It does beg the question why Pirelli didn't stamp on that as soon as they found out. If the teams were trying to run their brakes backwards or the gearbox upside down everyone would laugh at their incompetence. If they tried to enter a car twenty percent under weight they'd be disqualified.

Maybe they should just keep the tyres as they are and very loudly (and constantly) proclaim what the teams have been doing, ie the tyres are perfectly safe when you lot aren't taking the piss.

If a new supplier could be found, I think Pirelli (and every other tyre manufacturer on the planet) would be only too happy to ignore the EU tender process and let someone else put their head in the stocks.

3. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

Not sure it is a minimum pressure of 19psi. It is Pirelli's recommended pressure.
    Like all components on an F1 car - they will push it to it's absolute limits.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Pirelli can, FIA can't. EU commision will slap them twice if they would try that.

5. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

I know people are saying that it may be the psi from the teams and the fact that F1 wanted more competitive racing by making the the tyres a little rubbish wear wise but Perelli have just not not come up with a decent tyre in the 3 years they've been in the sport. There have been nothing but complaints.
    There were never any problem with the bridgestone ( As far as I can remember).

Does anybody know how long Perelli's contract is?

Also I've missed GP2, GP3 completely this year. They are using the same compounds, Have there been any problems with the support series?

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Scott:
    Pirelli has no contract for next year, but the 2014 tyres need to be signed off any day now.

As for a rubbish tyre:
    Just how do you qualify that statement? The teams bitching? They cried about THEM screwing the pooch in Silverstone. - And let there be no mistake: Too much camber and switching left and right tyres around isn't a "mistake" - it's a bloody rules loophole they exploited.
    Last year they cried because the tyres were no good when the ran too much camber.

In short: the teams want one set of tyres that lasts the entire race. A-La Bridgestone.
    The FIA want a TV spectacle. Since refueling is gone due to safety reasons, they need more pitstops to make the strategy more exciting. Hence, they want tyres that go off quickly.
    This is one of the reasons why bridgestone left.

Pirelli delivered EXACTLY what was asked at every turn. That's not saying they were faultless. There were moments when they admitted to being too aggressive on the choices. But it is saying that the whole Pirelli hate is largely a bandwagon.

7. faugusztin

@LegendaryScott:

1) They come up exactly with what FIA requested. FIA doesn't want "decent tyres". They made the tyres exactly up to the order.
    2) Pirelli contract is up this year, but FIA has no time to finish the specs and go through a tender process this year, that means they will have to sign Pirelli for next year too.

8. LegendaryScott

LegendaryScott Trying to live up to the name

Look, I am the first to agree that a spectacle is great to see and with these tyres they have provided just that. but 3 different teams tyres blew out in a race, the first from the guy in P1 which dictated the rest of the race. (probably wouldn't moan so much if Vettel was on pole)

Okay I know its easy to blame the tyre manufacturer (especially when you want hamilton to win silverstone!) but things needed to be addressed.

I'm just a race fan that wants to see these cars and drivers go round at full pelt racing eachother.

@BentAnat do you work for perelli. very passionately defended :D

so does anybody know if the support series has had any issues?

9. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Haha... I am just tired of the constant Pirelli blame.

Essentially, the Silverstone blowouts were 100% team faults.
    Most of the issues are the teams' fault, for that matter.

As for the support series - no idea... we don't get support series coverage at this end of the world.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The support series either have other brands or very different tyres (GP2 vs F1 tyres are almost completely different for example, even though they're both radial slicks).

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Okay, so I just heard Ross Brawn talking about teambuilding and I quote "No-one comes into F1 and wins it in their first year" :hehe:

12. rollo

rollo Modder

GP2 has had some issues this year so has GP3 come to think of it. Its no where near as visible unless you watch the races on sky sports but theres been a few cars limping around the tracks on 3 wheels due to delaminations.

13. fix-the-spade

Well aside Giuseppe Farina he's right. Name changes not withstanding the Brackley mob can trace their team all the way back to Ken Tyrrell and Sir Jackie, so it's not like anything was new beyond the name in 2009.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Were they genuine delaminations, or puntures (and consequent tyre destruction) caused by their bat-**** crazy driving?

15. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

I guess it's not as bad as "puncher" which I saw once. ;)

16. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Clicky

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

[​IMG]

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

19. fix-the-spade

I think Sir Jackie Stewart has the best response to those sentiments.

"When Jochen was killed on Saturday, I had to pass the place where he died 67 times on the Sunday.

For all the sage words of pundits, it's not their heads sticking out the top of those cockpits, if Brucey would like to stand in front of a steel belt travelling at 100mph, I'm someone would be happy to oblige. :lol:

20. faugusztin

Red Bull is going to get a super huge fine for that wheel, this should be fine at least in millions, plus compensation for the injured cameraman.