1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The open world game has changed forever

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 15 Sep 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Spot on, Rick.

You hit the nail on the head.

3. graphitone

graphitone What's a Dremel?

"a lukewarm bear balanced on its paunch"

Just how big would this bear be? I assume it'll have to be dictated by the size of the paunch. So If we say that the average middle ager drinks a can or two of beer a night and perhaps puts away a pie and the odd takeaway every month and additionally does no exercise, over time that paunch is going to be able to support at least small panda or 3 koalas.

I'd be worried, and more than a little curious to see a paunch capable of supporting the large ursine types.

I'm not sure why it has to be lukewarm? Perhaps it's to maintain good circulation in our otherwise sedentary person.

4. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

I swear that I spotted this during editing and fixed it. No idea how it still slipped through.

Anyway, at least it gave someone a giggle. Fixed it for sure now.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I liked the original bear myself. :)
    Reminded me of the Sofa Bear from the VM adverts.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2015
  6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I think you're missing the point here. Koalas aren't bears, for starters and they would be shocked to hear you describe them as such. Never incur the wrath of a koala unless you can run faster than ~0.256 mph.

I think the lukewarm reference is to keep the bear immobile and therefore balanced. Any warmer and it might wake up.

Add a can of lager to the top of this pyramid though and I think you'd have the good beginnings of the Beer Bear Bore model first hypothesised by Newman et al, 1857.

7. graphitone

Surely things are whatever we've had a consensus on them being. We call them bears, therefore, they're bears. I appreciate that the natural scientists among us may disagree, however. But they're in the minority.

I'm willing to accept that koalas could well be some sort of marsupial, but without having my ladybird 'big book of animals' to hand, I'm not in a position to speculate.

(If you can find a picture of a shocked looking koala, I'll eat my socks. They're the most non-plussed things on this planet).

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I like a challenge. :)
    [​IMG]

9. rollo

rollo Modder

I do wonder how much either game really forces you into open world. Witcher 3 you can easily ignore all side quests. Metal gear solid 5 they are more forced on you.

Most fun open world title I played was just cause 2 they then added multiplayer to it on steam. It's just what I'd call stupid good fun.

Borderlands does that very well provides a lot of stupid good fun. Witcher series in general has always been fun to play but doing every side quest feels like a grind. Mgs5 can get tedious towards the middle of the game. The fact it punishes you for killing people also takes away from the game.

10. graphitone

That's brilliant.

:clap:

11. Pvt_Ryan

Pvt_Ryan What's a Dremel?

Brilliant write-up.
    I've been racking up the hours in witcher 3 and just got MGSV for the PS4 (a moment of weakness, probably should have got it for the PC instead). W3 is really immersive with the well scripted story line and millions of side quests.

12. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I enjoyed that article and have to agree with what was said about the Ubisoft games. I really enjoyed Far Cry 3, but was slightly disappointed with 4 in that it just repeated 3's idea's and expanded on it a little.

I have a code for Metal Gear Solid V and look forward to exploring the expanses that are mentioned.

Like jrs77 above me, I like having open spaces to wander around in and do what I want, when I want; but I would love to pick a path in the story and have it radically affect what happens in the story. I enjoy playing a good single player game more than once and if different decisions made for a totally different outcome then I'd be delighted; more so than a game world being totally open to explore.

13. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

But they're also way more qualified to comment on these things.

Socks, dude! Socks. Your turn for a picture...:D

14. graphitone

I'm picking up on a caveat of the deal, you didn't provide the picture, so I owe you nothing!

15. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Corky - are you listening?

Put yer (socked) foot down.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

You certainly haven't heared the cry of the male Koala at night while lying in your pitchblack tent wondering WHAT-ON-EARTH barks so horrifyingly like that in the Aussie bush :D

Yes it's true, I feared the Koala..I was sure it were at least Razorbacks out to hunt me. :eeek:

[​IMG]

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Anyone remember Peter Molyneux' Black and White Dancing Bear plugin for Winamp?

Good times! :D

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This is a good article, but I almost threw my computer out of the window when I read that "Black Flag is the best pirate game ever made".

Go to jail: Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect £200. Black Flag isn't even in the Top Three of pirate games. That top three would be Sid Meier's Pirates! and the two Monkey Island games. I'm not fussy about the order tbh :D

Tags: Add Tags