Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by random2k4, 18 Mar 2021.
Impressive work on that tyre!
Finally, all four wheels are done.
Next I need some rims, so I made a more detailed 3D model.
Resin printed again to save some time in the post processing.
Little bit of sanding and some spray filler and it was done.
Like the wheels, I now will make a mold to cast the rims in resin.
Need another set of winter wheels.
And it was time for the mold for the rim. This time a little different.
To properly demold it at the end, I needed to split the mold in two halves.
So I covered the first section with a little but of clay and added some
Mixed some silicone and poured it into the first half.
After about 6 hours of curing, I flipped the mold over and added vents and
a filling spout to the model. Then again mixed some silicone and poured the
Then I could cast all 4 rims in resin. Just need to take care
of the flashing and then they are good for painting.
wow, amazing work - I would be very intimidated to try that. Well done!
That's not silicone! It's Greek yogurt!
Lovely wheels, though. Even if they are made of yogurt.
Wow. Those weels are a piece of art.
Did you apply some kind of release agent to the silicone mold, before you poured the Smooth-Cast Onyx Slow?
If so, how? It is a quite narrow gap to do it uniformly...
Normally you dont need a release agent for this kind of resin.
If i would use it for more than 4 castings, I would use some to extend the life span of the mold.
I have Ease Release 200 which comes in a spray can. When you use a brush after spraying
you can get it in almost any spot if necessary.
Now that all parts are printed and cast, I can start building everything together.
Started with the base. After filling all the imperfections, I followed it up with a couple
layers of spray filler.
After wet sanding, the base was primed black.
Although, there will be only a tiny part visible at the end, I decided
to paint everything. I dabbed on two layers of silver paint to get
a little more structure.
For a used look and to darken down the silver color, I applied a black wash to the parts.
No more bubble gum.
might add some greek yogurt later
I always read before breakfast. -Food on the brain.
You could just stop at the wheels and i'd vote moty
Next, I already started with the installation of the hardware on the base.
Although the 3D print is stable, it got really rigid after mounting the
radiator into place.
The pump was mounted at the front. The fittings on top are just for decoration.
Will see if I keep them after everything is set up.
PSU got its position in the back.
Cause I cant reach the in between space later on easily, I placed all cables and
also the tubes for the water cooling already. Unfortunately, I needed the 90° fittings,
cause otherwise it would collide with the upper section. Also a soft tube would
bend to much.
Then the next section was attached and screwed into place.
Then I made a small detail for the site. Filled a tube with some coolant
and attached it on the under side next to the radiator.
Love it. I'm surprised none of us have built a Mars rover yet... A real one. Maybe this is the wrong gig.
Also, Holy hell that pump is a fatty.
After ages another update on this one.
Hardware finally arrived a couple weeks ago and I got time to continue.
Assembled everything and put it in the right place.
Quickly filled the system with a blue liquid.
Now, I only miss the paint job for the outer shell and some detail parts.
Next, I painted all the parts for the exhaust and bumper in
a silver like tone.
It was a little too shiny, an I already made the decision to give the entire mod
a more weathered look. So, I applied brown and black washes to add a used look to the parts.
Then I already glued the rims into the tires.
Ah, the 'tenant with a cat' look.
Next up, I attached the wheels to the main construction.
Printed a small cover that you cant see the nut anymore.
For the lights, I soldered small SMDs and glued them into place.
For the lenses itself, I resin printed templates and polished them.
Then I could make a silicone mold and cast them in red and off white resin.
Looking good so far. Now I just need to paint the last parts.
Then it was finally time for painting the outer shell.
I used my bigger Airbrush to apply the blue tone.
Took about 5 layers to get an even coverage.
Afterwards, I painted the borders of the windows and the detail parts on the roof in black.
The mounting for the Detail on the hood was painted in a metal color.
Everything was followed up with a layer of clear coat. It is a little shiny
at the moment, but after the weathering all will be toned down again with a matte finish.
Before I could start the weathering, I needed to glue the bars at the front in place.
Separate names with a comma.