1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The truth behind BioShock copy protection

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Aug 2007.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

[​IMG]

From Kotaku

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

LOL

It does seem that this choice of protection was a big mistake. :duh:

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

As said before. 360 copy Cheesecake.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

:hehe:

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Securom is realy lame as i am betting this game will not even now Install on my pc now (Securom norm works when you start the game this one looks like it does checks before the game is installed) as i use Alcohol 120% i had to no-cd my c&c 3 game as it would not start (an game i payed for) but C&C games have allways used securom (redalert was the first one)

but this new securom has more impact for bugging more norm users, why cant thay just protect the game via product activation or an online key

6. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

This isn't great but really how many of you is this going to affect? Personally I'll install on one PC play it through once or twice, then remove it from my PC so it isnt taking up space and probably never play it again unless i fancy a bit of nostalgia. Although cant say I agree with copy content protection which could be restrictive like this.

Acctually thinking about it the internet is widespread, but needing what is essentially internet activation to play a single player game?

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

it gets super funny for people who had technical problems and therefore tried if a reinstall would help.....

try to play wtihout driver hotfix? doesnt work... reinstall game... antivir on your computer? doesnt work... reinstall game... go on internet to figure out you just ****ed up...

its the first time in history i'm glad about a far too late release in europe... that way i atleast got warned of all the trouble the game can be....

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Who needs to install the game on multiple pc's?

9. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

So true, no copy protection to date has stopped pirating (that i know of)

IMO, the best way to do it, is accept that the offline play is lost, but make sure people have to have the full thing for online play
    Hell on Dawn Of War they gave up on copy protection in the end, and it now no-longer needs a CD or anything to play, however i think online play requires a valid licence

10. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

For me, in the last 6 months.

I have had my raid crash, killing my enitre system. End result:
    calling Microsoft to have my copy of windows reactivated.
    Reset Itunes since I already had 5 computers with my account.

1 month ago:
    Flashed my bios
    Somehow this made windows think I had 'Changed my hardware significantly' Along with Itunes....
    Now Itunes has a ghost pc /playing music/....

Imagine the hassle I'm going to have to go through if I encounter another hardware failure!

Bioshock sounded like a great game, I was excited to buy and play it.. forget it now.. my blood pressure has enough issues to deal with.

11. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Wow, for those of you who won't buy the game for fear of this copy protection: You're dumb.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

And I think you're stupid also. Has this exchange of dislike benefitted us? Perhaps we should do it more often.

13. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I don't think that I'lll have any issue with this, as long as teh game works on widescreen monitors I don't really care what copy protection procedures they implement - as long as they work properly. I seem to recall a lot of bitching about Steam when HL2 arrived, I personally never had any problems with it. Sometimes I wonder if there are just some folk who are looking to find any excuse to complain about loss of freedom of choice with each new restriction that appears.

The best example I can think of why copy protection should exist is a third hand tale I heard about IL2, apparently Oleg Maddox was incensed to find out that most of the complainers about a copy protection feature he'd added to one of the many update patches were from people running pirated copies of the game.

14. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

this was clearly a poor move and a cmplete waste of time, there are pissed off bioshock buyers everywhere, because the 2k servers went down and the buyers were unable to activate their legit copies of the game! Not only that but it has in no way stopped the piracy of this game; there are loads of full retail copies of Bioshock all over the net already and the protection has already been cracked....although personally I'll be buying the game as this one actually looks worthwhile.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2007
  15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Levine has confirmed that it's being removed.

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Got a link on that?

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

unless you've got another link, no he didnt
    http://kotaku.com/gaming/son-of-sad-panda/levine-responds-to-bioshock-copy-protecton-woes-292834.php

what he said was
    that is hardly confirmation of removal

its promising but until they actually state that its being removed..

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

19. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

They should not have to, they should not be lied too

20. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Did anyone else read "Securom" as "scrotum"....

Since I've got a 360 I've stopped playing PC games... or buying new one's at least. The widescreen thing, the drivers.. patching... activation lockouts after TWO(!) installs.. It's been out a DAY! It's all ridiculous.
    Maybe I'll go back to "the PC" when they have finished it.

Tags: Add Tags