1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other the Upgrade Bug

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yakyb, 1 Jun 2011.

1. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Anyone else not had the upgrade Bug for ages,

I used to go 6 months before deciding evreything i owned was out of date. its now been 14 months (ish) since my last pc purchase and i have no desire to upgrade

anyone else had this?

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I had it when I built my first rig, although in my case, some of my components were outdated. I bought a single core amd, without doing much research into it, only to see the dual core cpu's for that socket drop in price so I changed cpu. I did however get the itch graphics card wise, so got 1 7900gt, then a second, for sli, then a 7950gx2 (one of the 7900gt's was giving me clock timing errors), then used evga step-up to swap the 7950gx2 for the 8800gtx, again, I didn't do my research otherwise I would have known that in a few months the card would be out of date.

I guess in your case, you've got 5 machines, so yeah... My first machine I kept for four years, an amd x2 4600 with 2gb ram. Now I've upgraded to an i7 920, and given the old machine to the family to use. More power than they could ever need, but I don't need a second pc so.

You get to a point when you think, what else do I NEED. Sure I could get an H50 cooler or something, but I don't need to run an overclocked cpu all the time, (summer coming etc), so yeah. It's all about being able to draw the line at what you need, vs what you want.

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I always have a desire to upgrade, but I definitely have more sense than money at the moment...unlike two years ago when I was selling and buying components almost on a weekly basis.

Something that really doesn't help the upgrade bug is forums like this - you are constantly kept up-to-date with all the game releases and concurrent hardware releases, and you see what other people have, so it doesn't take long for envy and covetousness to set in. :D

Suffice to say, no I don't have the upgrade bug - thankfully!

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I don't really feel that it's worth the cost and hassle, a soundcard might be nice, sli the GTX 460 or a new case or a water loop, but I have other things that make more sense to spend money on right now.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

If you choose wisely it's often a few years before your system won't be able to handle current software, a'll I'll need to upgrade in the next few years is graphics, possibly HD and memory.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2011
  6. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

still rocking and overclocked c2d 6600 and an 8800gtx.

Only now am i starting to find some of my games wont run as nice as they used to.think ive had this bout 3 1/2 hears maybe 4.

If you buy wise no reason your system shouldnt last for years. Im waiting for the bulldozer specs and BF3.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

In general, my computers lasts me 5-6 years before its obsolete for my needs. Although, Windows is always updated to the latest version possible on them (My Socket 939 AMD Athlon X2 4400+ 2.2GHz, run Win7 64-bit), and the GPU gets upgraded sometime. But that is all.I think only once I upgraded my memory, as I usually get more RAM than I initially need, so that I am covered later one.. obviously without going "I need 192GB of RAM!". Some times my HDD is upgraded, to a bigger and faster drive, but sometimes not, depending on my needs,.. but this is a small expense, same for RAM.

I still have my AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, my father uses it now. Still runs strong, and smooth (not for gaming though)

8. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

I always want to upgrade, just don't have the money too. I think it may be something to do with these pc forums though :p

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Not really compelled since 90% of modern games run happily on xbox hardware.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I always want to upgrade, or at least tinker. But you know, I very very rarely actually spend any serious amount of money on it. Most of the time if I find an AMAZING deal I sell off my current hardware, and then say add an extra £30 on top and get something better.

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I want to upgrade about 1 hour after putting anything new in my PC :). It's not really a "upgrade bug", it's just that i browse the eshops again ad think "what could i buy, what would i need"... But most times i find nothing :p.

12. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I don't really have an upgrade bug as such. All computers in our household last *at least* five years, if not more - we have an old Dell 4550 with a P4, 1GB RAM, GeForce 5500. It's running Windows 7 and serving as a general family browsing computer just fine since we bought it in Jan 2003. The main rig in my sig has been the first proper desktop system since 2003.

The truth is that nowadays hardware has advanced well beyond the software (at least for ordinary consumers), and the focus is now on power consumption and efficiency rather than outright performance. I fully expect this system to last until at least 2020, though I probably will upgrade the graphics card and possibly the RAM along the way.

13. faugusztin

r3loaded - more like 2014-2015. That is the time next generation of consoles will come out, and will probably level the performance of PCs at that time (as usual).

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

yeah no joke, i've been on my i5 750 system since release thereabouts, and really haven't been compelled to upgrade. i did my gpu, and added a 2nd ssd so i could dump mechanical all the way, but that is all. the way it's looking it won't be necessary for me to do a full upgrade until some time after the next gen consoles are released. consoles are keeping pc gaming held back. all pc gamers are getting for the most part is console level ports which pc from 5 years ago doesn't struggle on still. the biggest thing i hope for next gen consoles is that they are 64bit. that way at least pc game ports will be as well. it would be hugely beneficial if the next xbox was on x86-64 as well instead of powerpc or something else.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2011
  15. GoodBytes

Even with next gen console... Assuming the PS4 comes out.. the GPU power will probably match a GTX 260-275 in performance. In fact, I won't be surprised if it's the same GPU, but made smaller to reduce heat. I highly doubt it will be something faster.

Already the PS3 is using a Geforce 7800GTX.. games looks good, because there is a lot of optimization going on from the developer side. When you have 1 system configuration, it's easy to optimize, while PC market, money is spent on testing different configurations, and not spent on deep optimizations, unless the game is using a fully developed PC engine.

16. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

I quite often get the building urges but I don't tend to get the urge to upgrade my own system. It's mainly because I'm fairly happy with the performance of my system. I don't game on it and so it suits my needs perfectly and does everything I need out of it in a flash. One thing I will say though is that there is definitely a difference between onboard graphics and a dedicated card. I used to use onboard until I picked up a 4850 for £20. Things just seem a lot snappier. I've only added that and an SSD to my system since I bought it so I'm happy.

I always get urges to build new systems though. There's just something about spending a good few hours planning all your cable runs, and taking your time installing all the shiny new hardware and making a really good job of it that's so addictive. It doesn't even have to be top end hardware. I built a budget system for my old man not too long ago which consisted of an Athlon II X2 etc just used for web browsing. I just find the whole process of putting a system together from scratch quite enjoyable!

17. Deders

Deders Modder

I expect they would have at least DX11 level hardware, if Microsoft hasn't released another version in the next 3 years.

18. GoodBytes

On topic, PookeyHead, you might want to start a second job, like a computer repair technician/system builder. You'll most likely get budget systems for that market, but you get to build systems, and such without spending money.

19. faugusztin

And exactly the PS3 graphics "chip" says that you should expect a 1 gen older PC highend hardware at launch time of PS4. PS3 got 7800GTX - which is pretty much a highend at the start of the year when PS3 got launched.

I highly doubt it will be anything worse than the current GTX570/580, of course at 2013-2014 tech, which probably means 28nm tech.

20. GoodBytes

Actually when the PS3 was out, we had 8800 series, which was far superior than the 7800.
    The 8800 was a big step up in performance for Nvidia, in comparison to the last gen.. The 7000 series was simply an 6000 series, cooler operating.. yes faster, but not a large gap. And to be honest, the 8800 was delayed several times, because of ATI big hype of it's next GPU.. which ended up being a disappointment. To a point that Nvidia was relaxing, and released an improved 8800 series version, a bit faster, cooler, lots of bug and issues fix, called 9000 series. And still in that relaxed stage Nvidia took their time with the GX200 series, all up until ATI released the 5000 series.